With Matrix Out of Stock What SS Power Amp is Best?

Kriege

From what I can tell Matrix is toast. I have a '96 Mesa 2:90 that is great but it has its' own color to it and I'm
looking for a power amp option that is built by an organization that can support it long term that has zero passthrough characterization. What are the options?

probably not helping with this response (assuming you're seeking a rack 1u/2u SS pwr amp) but i use my QSC's (have a pair of OG K10s not the 10.2) that i use as my backline....
grab and go for the most part, and the pwr amp is 1000w on each...
YMMV! :)

probably not helping with this response (assuming you're seeking a rack 1u/2u SS pwr amp) but i use my QSC's (have a pair of OG K10s not the 10.2) that i use as my backline....
grab and go for the most part, and the pwr amp is 1000w on each...
YMMV! :)
Yes, looking for rack 1U/2U. The mid 90s Mesa 2:90 I have is great. Powering into a pair of mid 90s mesa 2x12s. I'm looking for something that is very well supported by the manufacturer that has as close to zero characterization of the signal that is typical from a tube power amp.

Most of these threads keep talking about Matrix. Here is what they have to say for 2023 ...

1680990850608.png
Some current thoughts on options that are not part of threads from 2021 is really what I'm looking for. I've already read all of those.

I bought an Orange Pedal Baby for my practice space. While I also have the Fryette PS2 tube amp that is very neutral, the Orange has lots of low mid thump, cuts through the mix, and at -10db out the fractal has an amazing amount of clean headroom. We are a very loud band and I can barely turn past 2 out of ten. It’s very light and you will need to buy the additional rack ears but at $420, I might start using it live over the Fryette that is how well it cuts through the mix. I was absolutely shocked at how much better it sounded compared to the Seymour Duncan 700 I borrowed.

I bought an Orange Pedal Baby for my practice space. While I also have the Fryette PS2 tube amp that is very neutral, the Orange has lots of low mid thump, cuts through the mix, and at -10db out the fractal has an amazing amount of clean headroom. We are a very loud band and I can barely turn past 2 out of ten. It’s very light and you will need to buy the additional rack ears but at $420, I might start using it live over the Fryette that is how well it cuts through the mix. I was absolutely shocked at how much better it sounded compared to the Seymour Duncan 700 I borrowed.
I'm resisting going to FRFR because I want to have my mesa 2:90/triaxis/lexicon/mesa 2x12 x2 as one config and the axe fx3/[SSpoweramp]/mesa 2x12 x2 switchable. I'm really interested in keeping to a rack setup. Petal boards I never want to go back to, aside from slaves to a master FX rack unit.

I'm resisting going to FRFR because I want to have my mesa 2:90/triaxis/lexicon/mesa 2x12 x2 as one config and the axe fx3/[SSpoweramp]/mesa 2x12 x2 switchable. I'm really interested in keeping to a rack setup. Petal boards I never want to go back to, aside from slaves to a master FX rack unit.
Don’t get it confused…as the name is confusing. It’s a rack amp. It is racked with my FX III and I use a Mesa 2x12. Its not an FRFR system. It is also class A/B not D. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-class-a-b-power-amplifier-with-rackmount-kit

Last edited:
Yes, looking for rack 1U/2U. The mid 90s Mesa 2:90 I have is great. Powering into a pair of mid 90s mesa 2x12s. I'm looking for something that is very well supported by the manufacturer that has as close to zero characterization of the signal that is typical from a tube power amp.
my bass player (who is in MI retail) swears by the FRYETTE LXII TUBE STEREO 50 W POWER AMPLIFIER but YMMV :)

Reactions: ESW
I had a matrix gt1000fx and dug it. I now have a powerstage 170 pedal. I'm pretty sure they make a rack unit version but i'm not 100%. I dig it alot. Plenty of power. It has a 3 band eq and if i turn the bass up a bit it sounds pretty damn similar to the matrix.

I had a matrix gt1000fx and dug it. I now have a powerstage 170 pedal. I'm pretty sure they make a rack unit version but i'm not 100%. I dig it alot. Plenty of power. It has a 3 band eq and if i turn the bass up a bit it sounds pretty damn similar to the matrix.
When I need to play with bands that don't use IEMs, I also use a PS170 hooked up to my FM3 rig. It's easy, small, and sounds good.

They do make a rack Seymour Duncan PowerStage...but I believe it is 1.5 U

Back
Top Bottom