[wish] OUT3 line level support

moerker

Experienced
Coming from the FM3, it would be awesome to have the same "line level or unity gain" option for OUT3.

As a little background: I use on both units OUT1 for outputs with Cab-SIM; on the FM3 OUT2 (the TRS ones) and on the FM9 OUT3 to connect with my guitar speaker.
On the FM3, setting OUT2 as line level helps that I do not have to increase the level in every inserted OUT2 block - it just has enough level. On the FM9, I currently have to increase every inserted OUT3 block by 20 dB, which works but is cumbersome (especially since I know the option from the FM3).

Using OUT1 is no option for me, since I want to make interchanging presets between FM3 and FM9 as straight forward as possible.

OUT2 only has XLR. My intend was to only switch OUT3 to OUT2 (and vice versa) on change between the FM3 and FM9. Using OUT1 and OUT2 leads to a little bit more hassle.
I mean, it's pure QoL ;)

since I want to make interchanging presets between FM3 and FM9 as straight forward as possible.
It seems like the straight forward interchange method would be to use Out2, even if it means an XLR adapter. If instead you want to switch from Out3 to Out2, you'll have to edit every preset when you transfer it.

Indeed, thinking about it makes sense. But but…. :D
It’s this „I know it, so I want it“-thing. :)
So, just a wish which is not reall necessary.

+1 on this, same reason. I need a nice hot level to my power amp/cab.

On FM3 I was also adding the 20db in the Out 2 block until they added the Line Level option. Now with FM9 I use Out 3 because it's 1/4 inch with humbuster tech. I was disappointed to find no Line Level option there and have to add the 20db again in Out 3 block.

+1 on this, same reason. I need a nice hot level to my power amp/cab.

On FM3 I was also adding the 20db in the Out 2 block until they added the Line Level option. Now with FM9 I use Out 3 because it's 1/4 inch with humbuster tech. I was disappointed to find no Line Level option there and have to add the 20db again in Out 3 block.
Are you using output 2 for something? I have a couple XLR to TS cables and they work incredibly well. Quite inexpensive on Amazon. And thus far no noise issues at all.

Are you using output 2 for something? I have a couple XLR to TS cables and they work incredibly well. Quite inexpensive on Amazon. And thus far no noise issues at all.
Yes, I use Out 2 for my acoustic presets to FOH. Out 1 is for the electric to FOH. This way I have independent level controls if necessary. Out 3 is for a "no cab sim" to the power amp on stage.

I just expected it since the manual states using OUT3 for guitar caps, as for OUT2 on the FM3. I think that’s why I was expecting it to work the same way.

Additonal hassle with the OUT2/OUT1 method is that all factory presets are using OUT1 as output, so then you'll need to change anything there also.

Coming from the FM3, it would be awesome to have the same "line level or unity gain" option for OUT3.

As a little background: I use on both units OUT1 for outputs with Cab-SIM; on the FM3 OUT2 (the TRS ones) and on the FM9 OUT3 to connect with my guitar speaker.
On the FM3, setting OUT2 as line level helps that I do not have to increase the level in every inserted OUT2 block - it just has enough level. On the FM9, I currently have to increase every inserted OUT3 block by 20 dB, which works but is cumbersome (especially since I know the option from the FM3).

Using OUT1 is no option for me, since I want to make interchanging presets between FM3 and FM9 as straight forward as possible.
OUT3 is Unity Gain by design.

Yes, I use Out 2 for my acoustic presets to FOH. Out 1 is for the electric to FOH. This way I have independent level controls if necessary. Out 3 is for a "no cab sim" to the power amp on stage.
You’re obviously using presets that are highly tailored to your needs. After making all those edits, all you need to do is make one more edit to adjust the out block level. The problem with using a global setting for that is: it would affect all presets, including ones that are not intended to be used for that use case.

Last edited:
You’re obviously using presets that are highly tailored to your needs. After making all those edits, all you need to do is make one more edit to adjust the out block level. The problem with using a global setting for that is: it would affect all presets, including ones that are not intended to be used for that use case.
True, and for me it's really not a big deal to simply add the level in the Out 3 block as I've been doing. And I just really want to make the most of my $30 humbuster cable! :D

I suppose we should consider that the FM9 is on par with the Axe III rather than the FM3. Having the Out 2 Unity/Line Level option only on FM3, with its more limited rear panel space, is simply to make it as flexible and configurable as possible to suit many needs. Similarly, the FM3 supports dual switches on each pedal jack but the FM9 doesn't and won't.

Back
Top Bottom