Wish: Mesa Lone Star

Would you like a Mesa Lonestar in your Axe-Fx?

• Total voters

Kriig

Fractal Fanatic
I wish for a Mesa Lone Star in my Axe-Fx. It's a really fantastic sounding amp. Wish for both clean and od-channel. That's this years christmas wish :D

Edit 02.nov09: Why do I want it? I had a Road King II before buying the Axe-Fx. The clean channels with a BB Preamp was a wet dream. I've not been able to replicate THAT tone, but i've found a lot of other exellent settings on the Axe. I know that a lot of people want this amp, and there are suggestions on the wish list. Just wanted to put it on top, and today 2.november, i added the poll, and schematics-link. I hope it is sufficient, in that link. I can't tell. If not, I hope that someone tells me, so I can find find the correct schematics.
Please vote :)

Regards Kriig

Kriig said:
I wish for a Mesa Lone Star in my Axe-Fx. It's a really fantastic sounding amp. Wish for both clean and od-channel. That's this years christmas wish :D

+1

Absolutley. I could not believe my eyes or luck when the mark iic+ was added. Now I just want the lonestar and I will be in tone heaven...

mortega76 said:
Setup a poll and make sure to get schematics... if not Cliff won't even look at it.

I'll see if I can find it somehow... Thanks for the tip.... :D
Any idea where i could find that btw??

This amp gets probably more wishes than any other single amp. I've seen a bunch of wish list threads for it. This and the fuzz-face would make many people happy :)

FractalAudio said:
Ch 1 and the power amp are essentially a Fender Twin.

Hmm.. I'll have to tweak that one more, apparently. My Road King II had the twin punch, but it reacted different when i turned up the drive, for some breakup. But i'll turne some more knobs.

How about the drive channel on the Lonestar?

Thanks for your response :)

Regards Kriig

For the clean channel, I'd actually love the Lonestar *Special* (Pure class A) - warm, buttery tone, and so, so sweet. I can't find a schematic for one anywhere though :-(

Have you guys tried combining amp blocks in parallel? For example, the Bruno Underground 30 is often described as a combination of Fender Blackface and Vox. I've found that mixing those models on the Axe gets me pretty close. Might be worth some experimentation for you.

yeah this would be a great addition to the amp selection. i don't think many people wish for a nice clean amp, as they do for teh br00talz.

no lone star special schematic? i guess we just have a chance at the lone star not-so-special...

and when cliff adds something from the list, he should re title the thread with "WISH GRANTED!!" hahahah

FractalAudio said:

And with twin, i got a clean that kills.. Crank the master, gain up, boost on, bass down... WOAH!!! Trow in a BB Preamp on top.... Holy s...

FractalAudio said:

Hi Cliff,

I own two Lone Star 2x12 combos and often run one side by side my Fender Blackface Super Reverb. I used to own a Fender Twin for many years. Although I have not compared schematics, I can tell you that, in practice, there are very obvious sonic differences between a Fender Twin and a Lone Star--enough so that you might desire to have both or might strongly prefer one over the other. They each have their distinctions to how they sound clean, cranked, and pushed. Even leveling the playing field by running through the same speaks and cab will reveal some very obvious differences (although, I agree, there are also similarities). The differences are big enough, though, that I have actually thought of modding Channel 1 of one of my Lone Stars to get it to sound closer to my Super Reverb so that I could sometimes just use the one amp. FWIW, I am thinking of first pulling out the resistor in series with the bright cap to add a bit of sparkle.

BTW, the "Lone Star" cleans of other Mesa amps, like the Road King, etc, are not going to sound exactly like an actual Lone Star, the way that the "Dual Recto" modern tones of the various Recto series amps (Roadster, DR Solo Head, Trem-O-Verb, etc) are all going to sound different. So, if you do decide to model this tone, be sure to reference an actual Lone Star. I would also advise turning the fx loop off, as this also affects the tone.

Hope this helps,
-Matt

Back
Top Bottom