WISH: Global Blocks on FM9 would be appreciated.

Well, it may have to do with what and how we play. I play a full range instrument and stack drives. So depending on the response of the room a 1 or 3db increase/decrease in low end can make a big difference to engineers and FOH sound. In one band, we also play music where volume shifts sometimes happen for only a measure. Constantly riding a volume pedal is fine for solos or verse-chorus but not in that situation.
Which is exactly what Global EQ is there for ;)

I don't think this is about money... I suspect it's a technical challenge.
The technical challenge, if any, would be in software. Since it had been requested years ago for now legacy devices already it's not like a suprise that's hard to fit into an existing architecture. To me it's a conscious decision against doing it.

Global blocks are not likely to be added to the FM9.

So how far can we get to day. Feeling Excited 🎸🎸😀😀😎

Wrong thread?

After reading this thread, if the intent is to piss Cliff off so he folds FAS, sells to Line 6 and enjoys the rest of his life on a private island, I’d say this thread is going swimmingly.

Once upon a time we had to plug in to amps and deal with it. I dunno, I’m grateful, anyway. Every feature I’ve wanted has not been implemented and a couple were pretty important to me too, but the sum of the parts make it worth it, at least to me.

The technical challenge, if any, would be in software. Since it had been requested years ago for now legacy devices already it's not like a suprise that's hard to fit into an existing architecture. To me it's a conscious decision against doing it.
I would have to agree, it's global blocks here not rocket science. Global blocks for effects units have been around for a long time, it can be done with the most powerful floor pedal on the planet no doubt about it. I think Cliff will end up doing it, it's his flagship floor unit, and now that we have turbo it's a good time to do so.

Well, it may have to do with what and how we play. I play a full range instrument and stack drives. So depending on the response of the room a 1 or 3db increase/decrease in low end can make a big difference to engineers and FOH sound. In one band, we also play music where volume shifts sometimes happen for only a measure. Constantly riding a volume pedal is fine for solos or verse-chorus but not in that situation.
Yeah that makes sense. I create all my presets and scenes to be at unity gain (except where I know I want them louder or quieter, like a scene that is specific to a solo) - for example, if a drive adds to the level, I set it to then decrease the level at the amp or elsewhere in the chain so the net result is the same. But that does require having every sound programmed, and checking them in real-world situations to ensure they translate at gig volume, and it isn’t conducive to on-the-fly/unpremeditated changes.

And as noted above I still always have the ability to tweak the output level by expression control of the output block where, despite the planning and testing, it’s too much/too little, and I use it like a global block (i.e., it’s in every preset I have).

For bass management issues, can’t you use the global EQ settings to manage those? For example, if at particular venue/set it’s too much or too little, tweak the global EQ and it persists across all presets/scenes?

Which is exactly what Global EQ is there for ;)

For bass management issues, can’t you use the global EQ settings to manage those? For example, if at particular venue/set it’s too much or too little, tweak the global EQ and it persists across all presets/scenes?
Look, I have not used the FM9 live yet. So maybe global eq will work. Maybe preset and scene levelling is where I need to develop my skills.

But my prior experience involves running a fuzz, a distortion, and an overdrive in series into an amp. So the volume and EQ contour of the low end changes as I switch pedals and combinations. Each pedal has its own EQ, each has its own small boost. Sometimes I would get to a venue, and find the gainstaging and EQ profile of one pedal was off compared with my practice space and off compared to the others. With a traditional pedalboard, no problem. I adjust the pedal. But if I want to take full advantage of the preset per song model, I couldn’t make those changes at the venue. I don’t see how global eq solves that problem.

I’m not wedded to global blocks, but I am still trying to figure out alternatives to solve this specific problem, maybe global controls could work. But I’m also not sure how I would implement that yet. I thought maybe mapping scene volumes but that’s not an option. I’m still learning the ins and outs of the FM9.

Last edited:
Look, I have not used the FM9 live yet. So maybe global eq will work. Maybe preset and scene levelling is where I need to develop my skills.

But my prior experience involves running a fuzz, a distortion, and an overdrive in series into an amp. So the volume and EQ contour of the low end changes as I switch pedals and combinations. Each pedal has its own EQ, each has its own small boost. Sometimes I would get to a venue, and find the gainstaging and EQ profile of one pedal was off compared with my practice space and off compared to the others. With a traditional pedalboard, no problem. I adjust the pedal. But if I want to take full advantage of the preset per song model, I couldn’t make those changes at the venue. I don’t see how global eq solves that problem.

I’m not wedded to global blocks, but I am still trying to figure out alternatives to solve this specific problem, maybe global controls could work. But I’m also not sure how I would implement that yet. I thought maybe mapping scene volumes but that’s not an option. I’m still learning the ins and outs of the FM9.
The effects you've mentioned are all pre-EQ type of things that really affect the response of the amp. That shouldn't really change much because of the room.

The room will typically affect the overall EQ of the output signal, which can be compensated with EQ at the output stage

Further playing around suggests I could use level controls for each drive block as three global performance controls and have lots of others left over, which should be ok if I use the same settings across drive blocks in each preset (per band). So I will try that.

And experiment with global eq.

THANK YOU for your replies to me.

Further playing around suggests I could use level controls for each drive block as three global performance controls and have lots of others left over, which should be ok if I use the same settings across drive blocks in each preset (per band). So I will try that.

And experiment with global eq.

THANK YOU for your replies to me.
You can, but that still requires adjusting for each preset. The Performance Page controls are just quick access to the knobs and affect only the preset currently in use. The "Global" part mean those controls are presented on all presets.

Reactions: JES
You can, but that still requires adjusting for each preset. The Performance Page controls are just quick access to the knobs and affect only the preset currently in use. The "Global" part mean those controls are presented on all presets.

Thanks for the clarification. You’re right—that won’t work.

Back
Top Bottom