WISH: Global Blocks on FM9 would be appreciated.

I don;t have an FM9 or the editor, but I guess the editor allows you to copy and paste blocks between patches?
It does... But let's say you have 30 presets with the same block. Global blocks allow you to very quickly update all of them in a single operation.

First world problem for sure, but once you've used them it sucks to not have them. :)

I don;t have an FM9 or the editor, but I guess the editor allows you to copy and paste blocks between patches?
The editor isn't useful live. A real world example of global blocks is where you use the same amp in multiple patches. While performing you notice something like the gain is too high or bass too low. With global blocks you can do a quick change and it will change it for all patches with that amp. Doing it patch by patch even with the editor isn't an option during a gig.

The Boss GT-1000 has this concept. They call it a "pedal". You can make anything a pedal, even amps. It's the one thing I miss most about it.

Adding my +1 here. Global blocks would make a huge difference in an environment of rapid sound checks, while still allowing 1 preset per song.

In the absence of Global blocks, I’m curious how Fractal or experienced players recommend dealing with volume differences when you have a rapid (or no) sound check situation. This is my reality. Level differences that work in my practice space may not work in a venue’s PA, and while I tend to trust live sound engineers, sometimes we have pretty rapid sound changes across parts of a song. So I can’t just say “I’ll level everything and get turned up by FOH for a solo.”

Yes and you can save blocks to your library and recall them - but - FM3 and FM9 are build for the road, not for your desktop setup - so, always having a computer on stage is not (at least for every player) the case and use cases like mentioned before are - without the desktop editor - a real nightmare .. :/ The funny thing is - all aspects to "complain" about are not sound-wise, only in the area of UX/UI :D

The editor isn't useful live. A real world example of global blocks is where you use the same amp in multiple patches. While performing you notice something like the gain is too high or bass too low. With global blocks you can do a quick change and it will change it for all patches with that amp. Doing it patch by patch even with the editor isn't an option during a gig.

The Boss GT-1000 has this concept. They call it a "pedal". You can make anything a pedal, even amps. It's the one thing I miss most about it.
Side note: I think the GT-1000 does a lot of things really well. The amp modeling is miles behind Fractal's but the switching speed is amazing and its implementation of "scene switching" through control assignments and mixer blocks is really good.

I just received the invitation but I won’t buy the FM9 because of the lack of global blocks. This is a serious gap that, in a live situation, would make the sound check a nightmare

I just received the invitation but I won’t buy the FM9 because of the lack of global blocks. This is a serious gap that, in a live situation, would make the sound check a nightmare
Please elaborate: what specific case(s) do you imagine you'd need to address at a soundcheck?

Please elaborate: what specific case(s) do you imagine you'd need to address at a soundcheck?

Standard BMT depending on the location - nothing big, but small changes are sometimes a good thing.
Global EQ is of course - sometimes - a solution, but yeah, it's global - nothing amp/channel specific ..

Hmm...🧐

I have gone through more than 3000 sound checks so far, but never has an FOH technician asked me to change my sound. His job is to mix the sources he is offered perfectly. Well, often they politely asked me if I could play a little quieter, which I then just as politely refused 😁

The FM9 not having global blocks when having them is a great resource, live makes little sense. I get that you want to not give every option that Axe 3 has to the FM9 but global blocks should be in a flag ship floor pedal. Hopefully Cliff will change his mind on this.

Adding my +1 here. Global blocks would make a huge difference in an environment of rapid sound checks, while still allowing 1 preset per song.

In the absence of Global blocks, I’m curious how Fractal or experienced players recommend dealing with volume differences when you have a rapid (or no) sound check situation. This is my reality. Level differences that work in my practice space may not work in a venue’s PA, and while I tend to trust live sound engineers, sometimes we have pretty rapid sound changes across parts of a song. So I can’t just say “I’ll level everything and get turned up by FOH for a solo.”

I haven’t experienced the issue - ie, I find that my presets’ levels do translate live - BUT I still have a dedicated micro-expression pedal that allows me to tweak my output level up or down on the fly where I find I’m unexpectedly too loud or too quiet.

That said I do want ‘global’ blocks and would use them!

Reactions: JES
Is there a technical reason for this?

I'm not particularly bothered - just interested! :)
Doubtful. Probably planned to keep lines clear and unique, I am guessing. The capitalist in me says awesome, while the consumer in me wishes differently.

One of the best things about Cliff is he's reasonable, and I think that if he sits back and thinks about global blocks, he will end up adding it to the FM9. Someone else stated that Boss GT1000 has global like blocks, there is no way Cliff is going to allow a 1k unit to out perform in any fashion his flagship floor pedal.

Reactions: JES
I haven’t experienced the issue - ie, I find that my presets’ levels do translate live - BUT I still have a dedicated micro-expression pedal that allows me to tweak my output level up or down on the fly where I find I’m unexpectedly too loud or too quiet.

That said I do want ‘global’ blocks and would use them!

Well, it may have to do with what and how we play. I play a full range instrument and stack drives. So depending on the response of the room a 1 or 3db increase/decrease in low end can make a big difference to engineers and FOH sound. In one band, we also play music where volume shifts sometimes happen for only a measure. Constantly riding a volume pedal is fine for solos or verse-chorus but not in that situation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom