Wireless with my axe...getting feedback

Me, too, with my Line 6 g90(rack mountable) I prefer using the wireless over tha cable because it does sound cleaner. The problem is that with regular alkaline batteries it only last for 2-3 hours! I used the Energizer Lithium, the ones that says it last x8 times. I can use it for almost 3 rehearsals. They're more expensive but in the long run it saves you money if you buy them at Cotsco or Sam's Club by the bulk.

I use the rechargeable NiMH 2600 mA. They are good for one or two weekend practices. I got plenty of them for the kids to use in the Wii. Saved me a lot of money and recharge in 2 hours. $8 for 4 or something. I have been using them for over 2 years and still going.

so I guess its fine to use the wireless straight to the axe-fx rear cause it would be a line level out of the wireless?!?!?
The output levels of the wireless units I've played with were a lot closer to instrument level than line level. Nonetheless, either front or rear input will work fine. The rear input has easily enough sensitivity for a guitar signal, and the front input's maximum level is +12 dBu, which is solidly in line-level territory.

The sound im getting is more of a squeel than an actual feedback.. even if i turn down the guitar volume and walk far from the amp, i still get the sound.
its weird

If I understand correctly your descriptio it seems a common issue with wireless transmitters, it has nothing to do with the Axe-Fx.
There should be a "squelch" trimmer or something similar on your receiver. Raise it until the squeel disappears.

Just plug the wireless output to the front of the Axe. That is what I do on my unit and have had no issues. I remember something from Cliff about the front input being "special" and more geared to guitar input that the ones in the back.

There should be a "squelch" trimmer or something similar on your receiver. Raise it until the squeel disappears.
Good catch, GiRa. With the squelch backed all the way off, you can get all kinds of crud on your signal if your transimitter is turned off or out of range.

Last edited:
Just plug the wireless output to the front of the Axe. That is what I do on my unit and have had no issues. I remember something from Cliff about the front input being "special" and more geared to guitar input that the ones in the back.
The front input has some additional noise reduction. That makes it the preferred input, but I have no problem using the rear input for wireless or anything else that has a rear output in the rack.

got everything working now. just had to reprogram the packs with the main unit.

i do notice a slight loss of tone with my wireless. does anyone have one that is 100% accurate? i guess the 450 dollar price tag doesnt always mean its great quality

from Axe Fx Wiki (how to connect your guitar)

There are also left and right Input1 jacks at the rear. These have the same impedance as the front input (1 Ohm, for guitars), however they operate at LINE level instead of guitar level and are more prone to clipping ...

... If you are using a buffer or wireless unit with a line-level output either input can be used. If you plug a guitar directly into the rear you may find you don't have enough signal level ...

I'm going to buy the Line6 G90 ... it seems that the Output Impedance ¼” is 1500 Ohms (manual - p.12)

for anyone use this unit: do you use the front input ?

Last edited:
I'm sorry I can't help, but I'm looking to pick up a G90. Was wondering if any folks here that use it with the axe could give me a heads up on if it's worth the $650. Seems like a lot for a wireless, but if it's that good...

OK...so after playing around with the axe fx and my wireless unit for a while now, i narrowed a few things down. I am still getting a horrible squeel sound. , not really a feedback. ive noticed that it only happens on the high gain presets. for example, im getting the noise on Yeks Shiva lead preset. the gain is about half way or so with the boost on. nothing crazy as far as gain. the squeel goes away when i turn off the boost or lower the gain. but if im on the same high gain setting using just a cable (no wireless) the noise is not there.

im not sure what the problem is at this point

...if im on the same high gain setting using just a cable (no wireless) the noise is not there.
That isolates the problem to your wireless, or its connection to your rig.

I am still getting a horrible squeel sound. , not really a feedback. ive noticed that it only happens on the high gain presets...the squeel goes away when i turn off the boost or lower the gain.
That can happen when the gain is very high. Yek's Shiva Solo preset also has a Drive block in it that will add to your gain.

If the squeal happens when you're using wireless and doesn't happen when you're cabled straight in, there's a good chance your wireless is running hotter than your guitar. That would increase the likelihood of squealing. Check your levels to make sure your wireless is running the same output level as your guitar. If both levels are equal, then either your wireless rig is faulty, or there's some feedback path from your wireless output to its own input.

I tested a little cheapy wireless system with my axe today and it worked fine. The tone wasnt great, but the squeel wasnt there. This wireless unit didnt have any levels adjustments. just kind of a plug and play thing for 99 bucks.

im not sure why im having a problem with my AKG wireless unit that i spent 500 bucks on. i know this isnt a wireless or akg forum, but if anyone has any other ideas im all ears. i tried changing frequencys, adjusting the gain, adjusting the squelch, i also lowered the gain on the actual body pack (which made the tone horrible, but didnt get rid of the squeel).

i cant figure this out. i would just go buy a new wireless unit if i didnt have 3 body packs i bought for this unit for 200 a piece. getting a whole new wireless system is going to be my last resort.

Sounds like an issue with your wireless unit. As a second-to-last resort, you could try your other body packs to isolate the problem to either one or more of your body packs, or the receiver itself.

yeah i tried that....definitely does it on all body packs. so that means its most likely a problem with the receiver.
when i try it on my tube amp and crank the gain i dont get the squeel which is weird.

Does either the body pack or the receiver have a switch for mic or line level? My Shure PGX has that and there is a pronounced difference if I use the mic setting.

Did you try reducing the DB from the back of the receiver and see if that helps?

Last edited:
i tried the db switch on the back.
the only thing the pack has on it is a small screw that adjusts the gain. on my old rig i had this set to unity gain with the amp setup. i did try lowering this just to see if it made the noise go away...it didnt.
Hey, i just realized youre in the western suburbs of Chi....where are you? im in roselle/schaumburg area

yeah i tried that....definitely does it on all body packs. so that means its most likely a problem with the receiver.
when i try it on my tube amp and crank the gain i dont get the squeel which is weird.
That's weird indeed. It almost sounds like there's some kind of signal crosstalk between the Axe-FX and your wireless. Try a longer cable to put some distance between the wireless receiver and the Axe. That will also let you try a different cable; if the cable is radiating signal that your guitar or wireless transmitter is picking up, that could also cause the squeal.

This is so weird. i pulled the wireless out of the rack and layed it on top of the rack....it works great. i also unscrewed the furman and just layed it on top of the axe. then when i layed the wireless shelf back in the rack (on top of the furman so the furman was between the axe and the wireless)...the noise came back.

could the furman be the problem. or maybe the wireless cant be that close to the axe? i guess im going to have to try everything without the furman now. this is so bizarre.

Back
Top Bottom