Wireless USB for editing.

andyp13

Power User
Just wondering if anyone had tried a wireless USB from their Axe III to a laptop to use Axe edit ‘wirelessly’. I would really like to sit out in front of the PA to work on my sound and wondered if this was possible etc...

No problem at all.

I use silex technologies device servers for many years with best results.
Model DS-600.
It provides 2 x USB over Ethernet, therefore USB over WLAN is supported as well.

Model DS-520 has a WLan interface integrated.
I never tried this model but expect that it works as well.

I believe axe needs a usb host to send it any data, whether that’s a laptop or iPad. I briefly experimented with a laptop attached directly via usb, and then an iPad talking to the laptop via ad hoc network. I could send midi wirelessly in this setup, but was way more complex for what I wanted to do (using the Lemur app as a controller).

I also used to use the iconnect Midi2+ as an interface.That allowed me to also connect wirelessly and merge data from a midi foot controller, Lemur on the iPad, and the sysex data sent from the Axe. I had an issue with thesysex data echoing, causing erroneous patch changes and the axeto stop responding to midi. Fixable, but I lost interest in troubleshooting it (I also find iconnect devices flaky at times). Ultimately, it was a lot of work getting each device to register the same state for block bypasses and channels.

none of this was “editing” as in axe-edit, so I don’t know if it gets you closer to what you want. I guess you could use some sort of remote access app in a situation like I described first, remotely controlling a laptop running axe-edit, but this seems way more complex. If you were to go the fracpad route, you’ll need the Bluetooth to midi adapter. My understanding is that the Bluetooth to USB adapter doesn’t work (someone else may know).

The method I outlined above works with AXE-Edit or FracPad for Windows.
Exactly the same way as if you were using a USB cable directly.
No difference in handling of AXE-Edit or FracPad for Windows via cable.

I use it for many years now. Never experienced any problem.

Simply .... it works.

Last edited:
some people have had luck with wireless midi and fracpad
Fracpad with MIDI over Bluetooth works very well, too.
A very fine tool Al Grenadine created. I use it with pleasure, too.

The range it works in is significantly closer than WLAN, of course, due to the more limited range Bluetooth works in per definition.

My conclusion:

Fracpad via MIDI over Bluetooth is fine if you and the AXE-FX both are on stage.

Axe-Edit or Fracpad for Windows via USB over WLAN is the method of your choice, if you are located more distantly, say at FOH, and want to finetune your AXE-FX settings.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom