Wireless for Fm9

When the receiver sits on the floor, you’re susceptible to all kinds of stuff. Even that FM9 or expression pedal sitting right next to it can cause problems. Keep your wireless receiver as far away from other stuff — and as high off the floor — as you can. Those who mount their wireless under the pedalboard, with the antennas poking through, pay a price for that convenience. The most sensitive part of the antenna is the part closest to the receiver. Keep that part as high and as in the clear as you can.

And if you have a diversity receiver with two antennas, orient them differently from each other. That will extend your coverage.
I have G50 (floor) and G90 (rack). I've used my G90 with my Axe FX II and Axe FX III rack rigs. 90% of the time, it works great, but 10% of places, I've had issues. Never have an issue with line of sight, and I can still be very close to it. It does sit on another rack with IEM transmitters and a wireless mic receiver, but I don't think that's the problem since I'd have that problem most shows.

Most noticeably, I had issues when a production company we hired had their router for their mixer close by me and that thing had 8 antennas. My guess is that the G-series being 2.4 GHz, that WiFi systems can be the biggest cause of bad connection. I've since learned how to use the SCAN function on the G90 and that's greatly helped me.

However, I never really had any issues when I used my G50 with my AX8 back in the day before I got the FX2 and then FX3. And our bass player uses a G50 and just stays on the same channel without any issue. It makes me think I might have better luck with a G50 with my FM9T.

Have had the xvive U2 for years and it’s never given me an issue! If it ever breaks, I will prob get something on the higher end but it’s been fantastic!

You think paddle antennae will get me much more mileage?
Paddle antennae are very directional. If you are some distance away from them, there will be places that will be outside the pattern of the antenna. If you like to really roam the stage or the crowd, you want something omnidirectional.

They’re not cheap but maybe setting up one in the backline ?
The backline is your friend, at least when it comes to antenna mounting. Get those sticks up off the floor. :)

Last edited:
I have G50 (floor) and G90 (rack). I've used my G90 with my Axe FX II and Axe FX III rack rigs. 90% of the time, it works great, but 10% of places, I've had issues. Never have an issue with line of sight, and I can still be very close to it. It does sit on another rack with IEM transmitters and a wireless mic receiver, but I don't think that's the problem since I'd have that problem most shows.

Most noticeably, I had issues when a production company we hired had their router for their mixer close by me and that thing had 8 antennas. My guess is that the G-series being 2.4 GHz, that WiFi systems can be the biggest cause of bad connection. I've since learned how to use the SCAN function on the G90 and that's greatly helped me.

However, I never really had any issues when I used my G50 with my AX8 back in the day before I got the FX2 and then FX3. And our bass player uses a G50 and just stays on the same channel without any issue. It makes me think I might have better luck with a G50 with my FM9T.
That’s the problem with 2.4 GHz. That’s a license-free radio band that’s used by lots of stuff, including Wi-Fi. Those frequencies can get pretty congested in some situations.

Is yours very line of sight sensitive? My G50 seems to be. Ill get dropouts if a room fills up and I lose line of sight running around. Otherwise it has great range.

I haven't had too many issues with that. Rooms of all sizes etc. The main point of interference usually is if there;s tons of wireless 2.4 GHZ bands being used in the area/venue. My mixer is an X32 Behringer rack and I just have to keep this away from that.

I haven't had too many issues with that. Rooms of all sizes etc. The main point of interference usually is if there;s tons of wireless 2.4 GHZ bands being used in the area/venue. My mixer is an X32 Behringer rack and I just have to keep this away from that.
I just bought an x32, myself! Great value for what it does.

I had the L6 G70 for years. Rock solid, but overkill now that I’m no longer using a pedalboard. I switched to the NUX 5.8. Sounds great and has been very reliable.

Attachments

• 8E0D0965-4384-48E7-8F92-8DCEFD524C92.jpeg
    8E0D0965-4384-48E7-8F92-8DCEFD524C92.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 36
  • 575ACD08-192E-4AB6-BA85-A1F3BA831C6D.jpeg
    575ACD08-192E-4AB6-BA85-A1F3BA831C6D.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
When the receiver sits on the floor, you’re susceptible to all kinds of stuff. Even that FM9 or expression pedal sitting right next to it can cause problems. Keep your wireless receiver as far away from other stuff — and as high off the floor — as you can. Those who mount their wireless under the pedalboard, with the antennas poking through, pay a price for that convenience. The most sensitive part of the antenna is the part closest to the receiver. Keep that part as high and as in the clear as you can.
Yeah I wasn't sure if it would matter, but decided to build a platform for the GLXD16 receiver...it gets the antennae just above everything else.
IMG_8410.jpg

I used the G90 for years without any issues. Starting about 3? years ago, I have issues in 2 places...both installed a ton of wireless cameras and 2 or 3 different routers that each suck up different bands. I need to use different channels at those 2 gigs. I noticed that the antenna on my unit is shorter than what I see on the newer G90's. I wonder if buying the newer antenna would make any difference.

I used the G90 for years without any issues. Starting about 3? years ago, I have issues in 2 places...both installed a ton of wireless cameras and 2 or 3 different routers that each suck up different bands. I need to use different channels at those 2 gigs. I noticed that the antenna on my unit is shorter than what I see on the newer G90's. I wonder if buying the newer antenna would make any difference.
Maybe, maybe not. If the longer antennas give you better reception, they’ll also be better at picking up interference. And it sounds like interference is your problem.

If the longer antennas have the near part thicker than the far part, they’re probably half-wave antennas. They have a reception advantage in that the most sensitive part is the middle of the antenna instead of the close end. That puts the most sensitive part higher up. If the antenna is a single thin piece, it’s probably a quarter-wave antenna, and its most sensitive part is the part right next to the connector — lower down.

Maybe, maybe not. If the longer antennas give you better reception, they’ll also be better at picking up interference. And it sounds like interference is your problem.

If the longer antennas have the near part thicker than the far part, they’re probably half-wave antennas. They have a reception advantage in that the most sensitive part is the middle of the antenna instead of the close end. That puts the most sensitive part higher up. If the antenna is a single thin piece, it’s probably a quarter-wave antenna, and its most sensitive part is the part right next to the connector — lower down.
The thicker and thinner portion(black coating) are almost the same length on mine, with the thicker being closer to the connector.

Back
Top Bottom