Windows or Mac for Axe Fx??

It has HDMI & Thunderbolt ports so I'd guess yes. But I don't have one to know for sure.
Correct. I have two monitors running in 1080p - one from Thunderbolt and the other from HDMI. There's a guy on the Cubase forum that runs three monitors (using a USB video card). I can run rather intense projects in Cubase with no problem. I'm using the Fusion drive which some people have said have problems, but again, I haven't had any. As I said in my initial response, the thing is a BEAST.

I have a Windows 8 machine as well as a new macbook pro. They both work fine with Axe Edit and the Axe itself. I use Logic on the mac and Studio One on Windows and I prefer Logic and the Mac in general for DAW and equivalent. But to the original question, I get good results with both. If I was buying a new computer primarily for audio/music applications I would get a Mac. I bought the Windows machine primarily for pc gaming, but it does most things adequately, I just think the mac is a bit more polished/streamlined.

Home Hobbyist on a Mac here. Works flawlessly for me and I use Garageband exclusively with EZDrummer plug in. Works and sounds great!

Is there any difference between a Windows Pc or a Mac for Axe fx use??

I need a new computer and was set on getting a Mac Mini but have a read a few commented on posts that suggest Macs are less 'friendly' with the Axe than a Windows pc.

Any truth in this......or any other comments???

Of course Macintosh !!! It's more stable, reliable, smart, sounds better, virus free. ,,,,,list is long
Go ahead with Mac

You should choose the one that you're more comfortable with.
I am completely "bi-lingual" and I can tell you that the differences are far fewer than the similarities.

I'm just really impressed with the way this thread is playing out, as one-versus-the-other is traditionally a huge source of flame bait. Kudos to this community.

After saying that, I'm not about to recommend one system over the other... I will say that I have no issues at all with Mavericks, on either a MacBook Pro or an 8-core MacPro. A properly configured DAW on either platform (that is, Windows or OSX) will do the trick for you.

Last edited:
I'm bi lingual but firmly a fan of OSX iOS and Ubuntu. I had to help a friend with Windows *shudders*

Never going back.

I have both version of Windows, 7 and 8 (64 bit). Axe-Edit 3.x works fine without issue.

Even the old beta version of Axe-Edit for the ULTRA still works fine too.

If you have a compelling desire to go Mac then do; otherwise, if you know Macs get the Mini, if you know Windows get Windows. Learning/configuring audio software and a DAW is tough enough, learning them on a new OS is punishment.

I will say from my observations: for non-techies moving to a Mac seems to be pretty easy, going the other way seems tougher. From a programmer's perspective: OSX drives me friggin' nuts at times, but Macs have always been easier for non-techies than for techies.

There is no real difference, Axe-Edit works the same on both. That said, OSX is a far more pleasant operating system to use in general.

Whatever you choose, I think that it's safe to say that you should avoid Windows 8. I had to invest in a new PC laptop the other month, which came with W8. I just couldn't navigate my way around it and it seemed to be designed to appear to a new user who needs everything in front of them at all times. I really hated it and installed Windows 7 which I haven't had any problems with.

It's all subjective. Yeah I think that the Mac's UI and streamlined work flow is better but as far as "sounding better"? That's utter horse shit. It's all 0's and 1's at the end of the day, how good it sounds is down to your method, tone and mixing skills. "Mac sounds better".... LMAO

Whatever you choose, I think that it's safe to say that you should avoid Windows 8. I had to invest in a new PC laptop the other month, which came with W8. I just couldn't navigate my way around it and it seemed to be designed to appear to a new user who needs everything in front of them at all times. I really hated it...

We got our kids a laptop with Windows 8 and I feel as you do. The real issue is that Windows 8 is designed with touch screens in mind and if you don't have one, it makes navigating a huge pain. I 100% agree with you. My wife and I hate Windows 8.

Thanks for everyone's comments!

I'm sold on getting a Mac Mini now. Nothing against Windows and I've always used it in the past, but my IT skills are basic at best and I generally only hear negative things about Windows 8......so a Mac it is!!

Back
Top Bottom