Windows or Mac for Axe Fx??

Booomm

Inspired
Is there any difference between a Windows Pc or a Mac for Axe fx use??

I need a new computer and was set on getting a Mac Mini but have a read a few commented on posts that suggest Macs are less 'friendly' with the Axe than a Windows pc.

Any truth in this......or any other comments???

Can't say more or less friendly, but I'll say AxeEdit plays just fine with my Mini. And I'll tell you what, my Mini is a BEAST. :eagerness:

There are some USB recording issues with some Mac OS (Maverick?), that are not caused by Fractal but by Apple.

Never had any issues with Windows 7.

But seriously, you shouldn't base your decision on that. If you can't make your mac to work with the Axe USB, you can still use a different audio interface and use the SPDIF out.

Take the OS that you like more! Or let your wallet decide...

For AxeFX use, either will work... one pretty easily, the other may involve all kinds of additional nonsense...

...but that's a whole other discussion which has been done to death with no right or wrong outcome possible anyway. We'll leave it there because the FAS forum has had enough futility to last a lifetime this week already!

... i would say buy a mac mini... it's best value for the hardware...
then you can decide if you want use Windows on it or Mac OS X....
Booth work fantasic with the OS!

P.S. Linux works also superb' on Mac Mini because all Hardware is supported.

There are some USB recording issues with some Mac OS (Maverick?), that are not caused by Fractal but by Apple. Never had any issues with Windows 7. But seriously, you shouldn't base your decision on that. If you can't make your mac to work with the Axe USB, you can still use a different audio interface and use the SPDIF out. Take the OS that you like more! Or let your wallet decide...

The clock issues that were present in Mountain Lion have been fixed in Mavericks. No problems here on 10.9 Mac.

Let's face it: Anyone who is serious about music, be it recording or live performance invests in a Mac in some way or another. I've never seen a professional performers rocking out on a PC. Having said that, whatever fits your needs best. I prefer Mac for the stability of their OS and lack of viruses.

For AxeFX use, either will work... one pretty easily, the other may involve all kinds of additional nonsense...

...but that's a whole other discussion which has been done to death with no right or wrong outcome possible anyway. We'll leave it there because the FAS forum has had enough futility to last a lifetime this week already!
Indeed. There used to be all kinds of problems getting the Axe to work with OSX, but I believe since a short while ago those days are behind us.

Unless you're bent on using 10.5.8 or older... Or something like that.

Nothing needed but the apps and a driver for Win7.

Can you hang two screens on a mini?

I was a LONG time PC user (since before there was "Windows") and still use it on my main work PC. Just shy of 2 years ago I picked up a mac book pro, mainly for recording to replace my '95 era wintel machine which was just a little too long in the tooth. I had wanted to give the mac a shot due to the large numbers of musical folks raving about it. Very pleased with the results...stuff just works. I don't have hard numbers to back up this feeling but I'd say with the mac you will get to spend more time playing/recording music and less time setting the machine up to do. I've not tried Pro Tools but Logic beats everything else that I had tried on the PC side of things.

I'm on Mavericks 10.9.2 and have zero problems with Axe-edit or Fractal-bot or the Axe itself.

Can you hang two screens on a mini?

Definitely. Windscreen and rear windows. You can get 28 people in one too
yessmiley.gif

Windows is much more prone to latency in my experience so for recording I'd say Mac.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom