Will this work?

inkeyes

Inspired
Just trying to connect the axe-fx up to my audio interface to do abit of recording.

Considering taking 2 instrument cables and connecting them from the left and right unbalanced out of output 1 and connecting up to line in 1 and line in 2 of the audio interface, will this work? and is this the best way to do it? or should i be using the balanced outputs?

Thanks

Balanced connections would be better, unless your unbalanced lines are pretty short (< 1m).

That being said, your connection plan (above) should work.

Hooked it up, seems to work but im getting some weird buzzing every so often, almost like fuzzy distortion that isnt part of the patch.
The cables are 3m, only ones iv got spare right now :(
Is this extra noise likely to be down to that?
Do i need to turn cab sims off when using the unbalanced outs?

Also, to use the balanced outputs do i just use a standard XLR cable?
The interface is a Lexicon omega (just a small little home recording unit), would the balanced outputs go into the mic inputs on the rear with phantom power off? there isnt any other xlr inputs on the interface.

inkeyes said:
Hooked it up, seems to work but im getting some weird buzzing every so often, almost like fuzzy distortion that isnt part of the patch.
The cables are 3m, only ones iv got spare right now :(
Is this extra noise likely to be down to that?
Do i need to turn cab sims off when using the unbalanced outs?

Also, to use the balanced outputs do i just use a standard XLR cable?
The interface is a Lexicon omega (just a small little home recording unit), would the balanced outputs go into the mic inputs on the rear with phantom power off? there isnt any other xlr inputs on the interface.
I think the reason it sounds buzzy is because you have the cab turned off (maybe in the global section)... Most line-in's are stereo, so you could buy a TRS cable and be good to go...

Go SPDIF. But otherwise I'd go unbalanced using a TRS lead looking at that unit. I wouldn't want to put my lovely Axe FX tone through those mic pres.

:D

Thanks for the help guys, im a total noob when it comes to setting up anything like this, too used to just pluggin into a tube amp.

Think i will buy myself some decent cables.
Would a couple of these be the kind of things you mean:

http://www.dv247.com/invt/84/

Plug one in the left out of the axe-fx and into input 1 of the interface and one in the right out of the axe-fx and into input 2 of the interface?

Go with S/PDIF less cables and less conversions. You most likely already have a RCA cable laying around somewhere in your house anyways.

If S/Pdif works. troubleshooting it when it doesn't is a hassle.

I understand OP isn't very experienced in direct recording, but have you tried the manual? Most possible ways of connecting are mentioned. They can even all be used at once.
All I can think of that might not be in the manual is the "copy output1 to 2" function. That makes sure output 2 gets the same signal as output 1, except for the settings in the global menu (global eq1 and 2 and seperate output levels). It's in the I/O menu. It's been a while since that was introduced, so it should be in the manual by now.

Rule on cab sims is that if you are not using real guitar-cabs (no tweeter, guitar-voiced speaker) you need to have the cab sims on. That would be for direct recording and sending signals to full range amplification such as (studio/stage) monitors, PA. If you wonder, FRFR means full range flat response. Which means it produces an even sound level for all frequencies in the human hearing range, or at least pretend to.

Cheers guys, I have read the manual but its the whole hooking up with the actual ins and outs of the interface that i was struggling with.
I might try s/pdif, is it just a case of plug the digital out of the axe-fx into the spdif input of the interface and then lock them?

Back
Top Bottom