Will this be the guitar tone of the future?

Angry" (Jagger–Richards, Andrew Watt) – 3:46
"Get Close" (Jagger–Richards, Watt) – 4:10
"Depending On You" (Jagger–Richards, Watt) – 4:03
Rolling Stones - ''Hackney Diamonds'' ––From Wikipedia - -

In mid-2022, Paul McCartney suggested to guitarist Ronnie Wood the band look to Andrew Watt to continue their album and Jagger agreed, appreciating Watt's approach to producing new music from long-time acts. The band invited Watt to see them perform in Electric Lady Studios in late 2022 and he took over recording at Henson Recording Studios in Los Angeles by November of that year. Further recordings in late 2022 and early 2023 with Watt included McCartney playing bass guitar on two new Stones songs. Altogether, principal recording was about four weeks, followed by two weeks of overdubs, and Jagger's vocals recorded separately only after the guitar work was finished. In June 2023, former bassist Bill Wyman announced that he had recorded with the band for the first time in 30 years[ based on a recommendation by Watt[ and additional recordings with Elton John are included on the release.The album includes 2019 sessions that have the last studio work by Charlie Watts and the band's first studio work with drummer Steve Jordan. Final recording for the album began in December 2022, with 23 total tracks finished in January 2023 and mixing done in late February or early March. At the end, the band had enough material for a follow-up album, which vocalist Mick Jagger estimated was 75% done by the time that Hackney Diamonds was released The recording process was captured by a documentary crewfor the television special The Stones: Still Rolling.

He did a great job PRODUCING the new Stones album.
But his own personal guitar sound on that video is awful.
Thank goodness Keith and Ronnie would never listen to anybody about their guitar sounds. :)

Needs more cowbell. Maybe 3 cowbells. Anything to drown out his guitar tone - even cowbells. Atonal Wailing Viking vocals would even help. Mongolian throat singing maybe?

No on second thought the MTS is way better.

I've driven around quite a few bands, artists and such in my time, and one of the wildest experiences I've had when I was driving a Tibetan (I think they were, it was years ago so who knows at this point..) throat singing group from their hotel to the venue and the guys started doing vocal warmups and exercises in the van. At one point I could've just let the van coast in neutral and the sheer vibrations from their voices would've gotten us the rest of the way to the venue. Really nice dudes and some amazing talent.

Off topic, but your post reminded me of this.

I've driven around quite a few bands, artists and such in my time, and one of the wildest experiences I've had when I was driving a Tibetan (I think they were, it was years ago so who knows at this point..) throat singing group from their hotel to the venue and the guys started doing vocal warmups and exercises in the van. At one point I could've just let the van coast in neutral and the sheer vibrations from their voices would've gotten us the rest of the way to the venue. Really nice dudes and some amazing talent.

Off topic, but your post reminded me of this.

Yes the throat singing vibrations are meant to induce a meditative state. It is a far more pleasing sound than this guys guitar tone which induces me to a state of yak.

Was it The Hu?

By "future" I think the OP means pillaging and plundering the guitar tones of the past.

Those splatty, fuzz-drenched tones are neither new nor futuristic.

Definitely a specific tone and style but I’m not getting the widespread roasting… there’s vibe and in the right mix some of those tones would sit nicely…

Then again… I guess it’s not hard rock / metal enough for the Fractal community 🤣 😜

Definitely a specific tone and style but I’m not getting the widespread roasting… there’s vibe and in the right mix some of those tones would sit nicely…

Then again… I guess it’s not hard rock / metal enough for the Fractal community 🤣 😜
Got nothing to do with metal or rock. Literally!

If only I could trade half of the Mesa and Marshall models for a handful more of interesting fuzz textures in Fractal land... tones like these are why I still have fuzz pedals. But I also think there are musicians out there who do more interesting things with those kinds of sounds as well, so....

Went to a farmer's market today and they have a variety of musicians. One was a solo guitar with quite similar tone playing stripped-down rock songs. Not my cup of tea, but seems popular to have the mushy fuzz vibe.

Back
Top Bottom