Will this be the guitar tone of the future?

In music, he is sure doin' his THANG, which is all good by me. His THANG ain't necessarily my THANG, tho.
(And NO, I don't think he has harnessed the guitar sound of the future.)

Angry" (Jagger–Richards, Andrew Watt) – 3:46
"Get Close" (Jagger–Richards, Watt) – 4:10
"Depending On You" (Jagger–Richards, Watt) – 4:03
Rolling Stones - ''Hackney Diamonds'' ––From Wikipedia - -

In mid-2022, Paul McCartney suggested to guitarist Ronnie Wood the band look to Andrew Watt to continue their album and Jagger agreed, appreciating Watt's approach to producing new music from long-time acts. The band invited Watt to see them perform in Electric Lady Studios in late 2022 and he took over recording at Henson Recording Studios in Los Angeles by November of that year. Further recordings in late 2022 and early 2023 with Watt included McCartney playing bass guitar on two new Stones songs. Altogether, principal recording was about four weeks, followed by two weeks of overdubs, and Jagger's vocals recorded separately only after the guitar work was finished. In June 2023, former bassist Bill Wyman announced that he had recorded with the band for the first time in 30 years[ based on a recommendation by Watt[ and additional recordings with Elton John are included on the release.The album includes 2019 sessions that have the last studio work by Charlie Watts and the band's first studio work with drummer Steve Jordan. Final recording for the album began in December 2022, with 23 total tracks finished in January 2023 and mixing done in late February or early March. At the end, the band had enough material for a follow-up album, which vocalist Mick Jagger estimated was 75% done by the time that Hackney Diamonds was released The recording process was captured by a documentary crewfor the television special The Stones: Still Rolling.

Stephen Colbert Popcorn GIF

Let the fuzz hating begin, er... continue. The tone itself is one I could get into. But, he needs to hand the guitar to Rabea Massaad, who would do wonderful things with that fuzz tone.

I had a similar discussion with a fellow guitarist / recording engineer couple of days ago, I said to him, listening today to the early days "distortion" sounds, it sounds crap, I mean, it is what it is but it's so dry, tiny, ear piecing, etc….

Obviously, there are still many people who dig that but as for today, with all the amazing real amps AND amazing modelers, we have the best ever tones as much as we can ask for, even if focus only on metal (easy), you have so many amazing metal sounds out there,
I told him, do you think that one day in the future, people will listen to an album of this era and will say, "wow, the guitars distortion sounds are soooooooooooooo bad".

Bottom line is that its music and personal taste / ear, there is no right or wrong, its like fashion, there are people who will like it and other who will throw up.

He's got the pants, a rare guitar, an entire room full of instruments, amps, e to win a Grammyand pedals. His guitar tone sounds like absolute ass. And he also won Grammys. Go figure.

It’s probably nice to win a Grammy and some actually go to artists that deserve it. But mostly the Grammys are bullshit. Kind of like the Oscars.

Well, based on Mr. Watt's credentials, I'm not inclined to be too dismissive. I've done loads of sessions where upon soloing the guitar track, it sounds nasty and utterly unusable, yet sits amazingly in the mix. Go figure. Happens more than you might think.

It’s probably nice to win a Grammy and some actually go to artists that deserve it. But mostly the Grammys are bullshit. Kind of like the Oscars.

It’s an exclusive club that only recognizes approved members who play by their rules.

I could see that tone being good for stoner/doom rock but too granular for my taste, never have been one for fuzz. Sweet collection though!

And i though SG stood for "Solid-body Guitar"?

Needs more cowbell. Maybe 3 cowbells. Anything to drown out his guitar tone - even cowbells. Atonal Wailing Viking vocals would even help. Mongolian throat singing maybe?

No on second thought the MTS is way better.

Back
Top Bottom