Will the FCB1010 do this?

So fair warning here, I'm really new to the concept of MIDI, but would like to get a controller for the Axe. Wondering if the FCB will do all of this well, and if there are any major drawbacks to the unit.

• I'd like to be able to swap between five patches and add/subtract a few pedal blocks from each patch on the fly.
  • Use all functions of the looper.
  • LED's indicate on the FCB that the block or patch is on/off

There are some replacement chips out there, is one better than the other?

I know that there are a lot more flexible units out there, but for right now this is as much as I can see myself doing with foot switching.

So fair warning here, I'm really new to the concept of MIDI, but would like to get a controller for the Axe. Wondering if the FCB will do all of this well, and if there are any major drawbacks to the unit.

• I'd like to be able to swap between five patches and add/subtract a few pedal blocks from each patch on the fly.
  • Use all functions of the looper.
  • LED's indicate on the FCB that the block or patch is on/off

There are some replacement chips out there, is one better than the other?

I know that there are a lot more flexible units out there, but for right now this is as much as I can see myself doing with foot switching.

with the UnO chip you can do most of it.

bottom or top row is for presets
the other row is for IA's (turning blocks on/off or looper, ...)

the problem is that those 5 IA's will always send the same CC numbers (2 IIRC).

If you're always using the same FX to turn on/off then there's no problem.

If not, you could use the same CC number for several FX. As an example you could create an 'modulation' IA with CC 2 and set CC 2 to TRE, ROT, PHA, FLA
that way all those FX would be turned on if used in a patch. drawback is that if you use more than one of them in a patch, they always will be turned on/off together.

using also the looper is nearly inpossible. in a similar way you could use the same CC's for the looper functions as Drive, Tre (in my example), but then of course for example looper rec would also engage drive. I hope this makes some sense to you 8)

Thanks for the feedback. It' seems like even with my basic plan, I'd have to make some compromises with switching so I suppose I'll look in to another unit. I see that you use the Liquid Foot gear. Was wondering if what I want to do could be accomplished with the Jr? I did speak to LF and they mentioned it could be done with the 12+. I would just buy a MFC and be done with it.... but those are never available!

Sorry I didn't see this earlier.

You can control different things in different presets with the FCB and the AXe-Fx II.
You can assign a CC to a modifier in the Axe-FX. The modifier can then be used to switch blocks to bypass. Or other stuff. So if in one patch you want the footswitch to change certain things you attach the modifier to those and in another patch you can attach the same modifier to other parameters.

I have two switched set to directly control bypass modes so they are the same in every preset, and three buttons control modifiers which are attached to different bypasses and even parameters in different presets. I would love it if I could attach a modifier to the x/y state, but that is only available for direct CC, not yet as modifier-switchable. At the moment. So that is the same for every other footcontroller.

The way I have the looper configured is that in the last bank (1-8, one bank down from the first bank, see below) I have turned the PC commands off, set the CNT 2 commands to control the looper functions with the buttons that usually control the preset changes. I have those CNT commands mapped to modifiers in the Axe-FX, those modifiers are connected to the looper functions.
I have read of someone that has alternated every bank of preset changes with a bank of looper controls, so he always has the looper a "bank up/down" away. This would cost you access to half the presets you can normally get to from the FCB of course. One could always do two banks of PC's and then one bank of looper controls, you'd have to remember on which bank you'd have to bank down or up to get to the looper bank. that would only cost you a third of the accessible presets.

This is what my setup looks like in Ripwerx:
View attachment 13231
It works.

Last edited:
The way I have the looper configured is that in the last bank I have turned the PC commands off...
I have read of someone that has alternated every bank of preset changes with a bank of looper controls, so he always has the looper a "bank up/down" away.

I like this tip. Not using a whole lot of presets yet so it will work well.

that video covered setting up a looper, but if it covered how to set up patch changes and individual effects on/off control i didn't get it

Back
Top Bottom