Will I have enough CPU power?

Josetxu

Inspired
Hi everybody,

I'm on the european waitlist for the AX8 and it's possible my name came up in the next batch of units. I had an AXE 2 MK1 for several months and I think it's a great unit, but I can't justify the price of having one (with a pedalboard, etc...) for my amateur needs. I thought of what would be the most CPU demanding presets I would have and I think it would be the following:

- Comp, 2 drives, phaser/vibe (X/Y), amp, cab, 2 delays (tape and digital), rotary
- Comp, drive, rotary, amp, cab, 2 delays, shimmer
- Comp, drive, chorus, amp, cab, tape delay and reverb (a nice room/hall reverb for little ambience)

do you think I would have enough CPU power for my needs, would be able to use ultrares cabs or the high quality reverb in the third patch type?

Thanks in advance.

The third preset gonna be close, maybe you will only have use a lower verb setting for this one but seriously Who si commenting a show and say that the reverb do not full as high def as the last gig he see?

I do not see any problems, except if the two drives in preset 1 have to be on at the same time. Drive blocks eat almost as much CPU as reverbs. Rotary also eat tons of CPU power. Ducking delays take more processing power than normal delays.

What do you mean by shimmer in the second preset. Does it include some reverb, because then it might be tight.

Try to use this spreadsheet to 'simulate' your patches. http://axefxtutorials.com/2015/12/ax8-cpu-usage-of-all-blocks-types-fw-1-00/. If you get to 90% you are in trouble. But then there might be a workaround.

Thanks for your answers. If I recall correctly shimmer was possible with a multi tap delay, isn't it? but if I can't do it it's not a problem. But I need the two drives in the first preset. I can live with the lower quality reverb in the third preset style (when I had the Axe 2 it was the only option with the first firmwares I used and was more than enough for me).

I resort to spring reverbs in many of my presets. Luckily, it has always been my favourite reverb type with guitars.

EDIT: Check the Ax8 preset forum. There are several shimmer presets. Also, Larry Mitchells Life Pad demonstrates shimmer alongside 'normal sounds'.

I made a preset yesterday with wah-phaser/vibe-Drive-Drive-Delay-Amp-Cab-Delay-reverb - it was pushing the limits, but it worked. I used a large spring reverb.

I do not see any problems, except if the two drives in preset 1 have to be on at the same time.

It does not matter if the drives are on or off. If it's in the preset, it's using CPU.

I just made a preset with the settings for his first patch. Using all stock settings for the blocks I'm at 75%.

I added a MultiDelay to this chain and am at 81%

He'll have no problem with the last preset.

You should be ok with them all. Might have to drop the echo density with the third patches reverb but should still be able to go high quality. Even though normal quality still sounds great. As for a shimmer you can either go with multi delay or crystals in the pitch block.

And remember: if you use only one Reverb or Driver i.e. X state put for Y Spring in Reverb, and last hungry drive blog too (Pi or Bender fuzz). The same is true for other blocks.

Thanks again, seems like I wouldn't have any problem. I'm using an Helix now but I find it lacks some flexibility in the amp/drive blocks, not only the number of models but also the parameters they have.

And remember: if you use only one Reverb or Driver i.e. X state put for Y Spring in Reverb, and last hungry drive blog too (Pi or Bender fuzz). The same is true for other blocks.
It has been stated many times that FX in unused states (e.g. x-state while y-state is active) does not consume CPU. Do you find that to be wrong?

X/Y is merely two sets of parameters for one block that you can switch between. The currently selected state (either X or Y) impacts CPU. The other state does not impact CPU. Putting Y as Spring Reverb has no impact on CPU usage when X is selected.

Hi everybody,

I'm on the european waitlist for the AX8 and it's possible my name came up in the next batch of units. I had an AXE 2 MK1 for several months and I think it's a great unit, but I can't justify the price of having one (with a pedalboard, etc...) for my amateur needs. I thought of what would be the most CPU demanding presets I would have and I think it would be the following:

- Comp, 2 drives, phaser/vibe (X/Y), amp, cab, 2 delays (tape and digital), rotary
- Comp, drive, rotary, amp, cab, 2 delays, shimmer
- Comp, drive, chorus, amp, cab, tape delay and reverb (a nice room/hall reverb for little ambience)

do you think I would have enough CPU power for my needs, would be able to use ultrares cabs or the high quality reverb in the third patch type?

Thanks in advance.
I'm planning on using outboard pedals with the AX8 just to give myself some breathing room on the CPU rationing. After all, I already have them and might as well put them to good use and I do like them. Good luck in your Tone Chase.

Thanks again, seems like I wouldn't have any problem. I'm using an Helix now but I find it lacks some flexibility in the amp/drive blocks, not only the number of models but also the parameters they have.

Curious what you think is missing on amp and drive blocks that you need. Editing is way deeper on my ax8, but I'm not digging deep.

For example bright switches in fender amps, more "jumped" models... some of the EQ options in the AXE drives are great (pre-drive bass, etc...). Most of the times there's no need for all the deep params but it's nice to have some of them. I have S-gear and with only four-five amp models it's possible to cover a lot of tones only with the switches.

X/Y is merely two sets of parameters for one block that you can switch between. The currently selected state (either X or Y) impacts CPU. The other state does not impact CPU. Putting Y as Spring Reverb has no impact on CPU usage when X is selected.

For security reason i.e. you hit X instead Y is better to have "save" settings and not overload DSP. I found this problem in one of factory patches where change to Y state switch off reverb block.

For security reason i.e. you hit X instead Y is better to have "save" settings and not overload DSP. I found this problem in one of factory patches where change to Y state switch off reverb block.

If I don't plan on using the Y state, I like to copy the X state to Y. Same with scenes I don't plan on using; I copy Scene 1 to any unused scenes.

Back
Top Bottom