Will FW10 (specifically MIMIC) change the sound of the FAS models?

Simple and straight forward. I know MIMIC is going to more accurately represent the amp models that FAS has been matching, but will this make more accurate your programmed amps such as FAS Modern, Crunch, etc.? I'm personally loving 9.02 but am wondering if this revelation you've had will give us even crazier cool FAS amp models.

They won't change because of any MIMIC stuff because MIMIC is not applicable to theoretical models. MIMIC corrects a theoretical model based on measurements of an actual amp. Since there is no actual amp the model will be unchanged.

However... there has been a host of changes to the underlying modeling so the FAS models will sound and feel different but this will be for the better. For example, I just finished reworking the power supply modeling. It's now a virtual AC supply (by default, can be set back to DC if desired) and I'm sitting here stunned at the difference this makes. Literally stunned almost to the point of speechless. I always felt that AC supplies were a compromise and if it were cost-effective, manufacturers would use DC supplies so I used a DC supply model in the prior firmware.

Very exciting Cliff - what a great problem you are working on. I remember when I studied chaos as an undergrad that values of resistors/capacitors/inductors determine which regime a circuit lies in phase space, i.e. chaotic (interesting) or 'linear' (boring). Do you find that as you better measure circuit parameters with your MIMIC that you see some sort of non-linear emergent phenomenon occuring (Im thinking of what you recently posted with the bassman clip!). While we are all in awe of the work you are doing, you must also be in awe of the 'analog computers' the hardware engineers were building back in the day?

So now you're virtually rectifying the AC signal? Yeah, I can see how that could change the way things sound given how different various rectification schemes can sound in the analog world. So I guess the virtual rectifier introduces nonlinearities of its own or it would be just like your previous DC model?

They won't change because of any MIMIC stuff because MIMIC is not applicable to theoretical models. MIMIC corrects a theoretical model based on measurements of an actual amp. Since there is no actual amp the model will be unchanged.

However... there has been a host of changes to the underlying modeling so the FAS models will sound and feel different but this will be for the better. For example, I just finished reworking the power supply modeling. It's now a virtual AC supply (by default, can be set back to DC if desired) and I'm sitting here stunned at the difference this makes. Literally stunned almost to the point of speechless. I always felt that AC supplies were a compromise and if it were cost-effective, manufacturers would use DC supplies so I used a DC supply model in the prior firmware.

Will tube or diode rectifiers now be a parameter?

For example, I just finished reworking the power supply modeling. It's now a virtual AC supply (by default, can be set back to DC if desired) and I'm sitting here stunned at the difference this makes. Literally stunned almost to the point of speechless.
AC does tend to do that .... you should have used an insulated screwdriver

For example, I just finished reworking the power supply modeling. It's now a virtual AC supply (by default, can be set back to DC if desired) and I'm sitting here stunned at the difference this makes. Literally stunned almost to the point of speechless. I always felt that AC supplies were a compromise and if it were cost-effective, manufacturers would use DC supplies so I used a DC supply model in the prior firmware.
Please tell us more. I love when you share this stuff. Sounds very interesting

Gulp, does this mean a Variac is possible now?

And have a modifier attached to control with an expression pedal! ;)

Cliff, I love hearing you talk about changes that amazed you. Can't be anything but great for us all, IMHO! Thanks for the continued support.

Lee

Last edited:
Gooooo Nikola Tesla! Even though I don't know what the change does to the sound exactly...

Fas Modern is my favourite amp model, I'm sure many others agree.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom