Wiki is down, anyone have the picture of soldering the Midi Solutions Midi Merger?

wknight2

Inspired
The Midi Merger arrives, I have the soldering gun out, and....
no wiki!
Can anyone please post the pictures of the underside of the Midi Solutions Midi Merger that shows where to solder what to what? It was on the wiki...
Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure...it looks like he was doing something different.
Like a lot of folks, I have the Axe Ultra, a MFC-101, and use Axe-Edit (My midi goes through a Firepod). The wiki talked about the soldering of pins 1 and 3 of the IN to pins 1 and 3 of the out (on the Midi Solutions Midi Merger) so Axe, MFC101, and Axe-Edit can be used at once (switching midi cables back and forth is VERY painful).
There was a picture of where EXACTLY to solder the 2 wires.

Pins 1 and 3 are at opposite ends of the semicircle of pins in a MIDI connector. If you connect the leftmost pin of the IN to the leftmost pin of the OUT, and then connect the rightmost pin of the IN to the rightmost pin of the OUT, you will have what you're looking for.

I got my midi merger last week and did soldier pins 1 and 3 to the output pins 1 and 3. The picture link above is not the picture you are looking for. I did the soldier job just like the picture in the WIKI shows but it did not work correctly with my MFC101 controller. After some choice words I figured out what was wrong. In the description above the picture in WIKI they say you can use inputs 1 or 2 and the picture shows the soldier job on input 2. If you are like me you will be powering the midi merger with the power coming feeding off the MFC so you really need to use input 1 side to do your soldiering to the output, hope this saves someone some time and frustration like I had. If you don't jump the pins you get no tap tempo, tuner or name display on the MFC.

So would this be correct?
To make sure I understand, if I use all 5 pin MIDI cables, I would use INPUT 1. If I buy the 5-7 pin MIDI cable mentioned in another post, only THEN would I use INPUT 2. Is that right?
MidiMergerCorrect.jpg

Some are dead because the Wiki is down, not sure why the others, like the soldering diagrams I need, are down. Someone posted a Word doc too that I can't download and open.

Hopefully someone who has done the soldering on the Midi Merger can comment on my post #7 :)

Your picture is correct. Use input 1 with both the midi cables mentioned. Use input 2 for the computer. Another mistake I made was buying a Rocktron 5 to 7 pin midi cable from Musiciansfriend last week because it does not have all its pins wired up not allowing the correct communications between the Axe and the MFC, don't know why the hell a company would advertise a cable as a 5 to 7 midi cable then not connect the pins is beyond me but guess it would work with a ground control pro just not the MFC since it sends and gets info from the Axe.

If you solder IN2 instead of IN1 (don't do it), the following will occur:

The MFC-101 shows the patch as X002 (no patch name). Changing presets on the MFC101 will change presets in the Axe display, but not in Axe-Edit.
Turning the wheel to change the patch on the Axe will change the patch on the Axe window for a second, then it reverts back to what patch# the MFC101 is showing. No change in Axe-Edit or on MFC101.
Changing a patch in Axe-Edit causes "midi dump in progress" to display on the Axe window for a second, it changes to the patch for a second, then reverts back to what the MFC101 has as the patch#. No change on the MFC101.

MidiMergerCorrect.jpg

MidiMergerHookup5pincable.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, you made me pull mine apart to check to make sure I told you correct. In looking back at your picture and my midi merger wiring, figured out that you have your In1 and In2 marked wrong in the picture. If you reassemble your midi merger and look at the way the sticker would go back on you would see what I mean. When you plug your midi cable from the MFC to the midi merger, with the MFC powered up, you should see the red light on the midi merger come on and that is In1/Power on the sticker, that is also the side you must connect your jumper wiring between pins 1 and 3 to the output pins 1 and 3. Basically you need to move your wires on the input side to the other midi In. Test your solder connections using a ohm meter and you can try it without having to completely reassembly the midi merger to insure it works. Make sure your midi cable going to the MFC from the Axe is working correctly without the midi merger, if not your cable is not correct. There is still limitations unfortunately even when the midi merger is hooked up and wired correctly. Changing your presets with the MFC will not change the preset on your computer nor does your computer change the preset on the MFC so this is normal. You will have preset names, tuner and tap tempo work correctly on the MFC if it is done correctly. Please let me know if you get it straightened out, it sure would help if they get that damn WIKI back up.

THANKS! That was it. I copied the picture I found on google images which came from the Wiki, which was wrong. It works now! I put the correct picture in my post above so people will have a reference.

Glad you got it working, I always seem to do things wrong before getting it right so some call it a learning experience. Wish there was a way to truly have a interface between the axe Edit, MFC, and the Axe Fx where they all talked to each other, maybe in the future.

Hi, with this setup you aren't getting a midi loop happening? Also, why not just go MIDI interface Out>MFC-101 In>Mfc-101 Out>Axe In

thanks

Hi, with this setup you aren't getting a midi loop happening?
A MIDI loop — yes. A MIDI feedback loop — no.

Also, why not just go MIDI interface Out>MFC-101 In>Mfc-101 Out>Axe In
Because there's no merge function without the MID Merger. Both the computer and the MFC-101 need to talk to the Axe-FX. The Axe-FX needs to talk to both the MFC-101 and the computer. With the layout you described, the computer can talk to the MFC, and the MFC can talk to the Axe-FX, but the communication ends there.

Thanks Rex, I think I'll give it a try. I have a 20 yr. old Voice Crystal Merger Plus that I have used now and then. I pulled it out for the first time in about 2 years and it doesn't work anymore. I guess 20 years is an acceptable use period so I'll try one of the MIDI Solutions units.

Back
Top Bottom