widdit dot com slowness

s0c9

Guys,
have you noticed when clicking on forum pages that they are taking a long time to finish loading?
Have you seen the "loading.widdit3.com..." (or similar name) at bottom of browser window.
Well.. it's a tracking site.
To get rid of it..

Uninstall "complitly" in your app list. Win7 requires a reboot.
In chrome, uninstall/remove the Complitly plug-in.
Somehow - and I'm really anal about have a clean PC, since I do this stuff for a living - it installed without me being consciously aware of it happening. It's pretty invasive.. look at the second link.
ThreatExpert Report

Malware for domain: widdit.com - Clean MX - realtime

Lots of links for other browsers:
Mozilla - Widdit.com?? • mozillaZine Forums

I don't want this crap on my machine.. so thought I would share..

i don't have any such app installed on my windows work machine, and certainly don't on my linux box at home. your infection has nothing to do with this forum.

i don't have any such app installed on my windows work machine, and certainly don't on my linux box at home.
That's good to know :)
your infection has nothing to do with this forum.
I never said that it did. You read that into my post. What I said was " when clicking on forum pages" which might infer this forum and/or others. It's actually any web site, once this gets on your PC. FWIW - I try to be explicit in my posts/explanations for precisely the reason you have brought to light.

The post was intended to help folks that have this issue remove the "infestation", not to infer that it was sourced by this forum.

That's good to know :) I never said that it did. You read that into my post. What I said was " when clicking on forum pages" which might infer this forum and/or others. It's actually any web site, once this gets on your PC. FWIW - I try to be explicit in my posts/explanations for precisely the reason you have brought to light.

The post was intended to help folks that have this issue remove the "infestation", not to infer that it was sourced by this forum.

Quite correct, I totally read that into your post, that is was something you associated with this forum. Apologies!

Couple extras..
For Chrome users: if you want to know what plugins are running/installed, go here: chrome://plugins/
Bookmark it (locally) if you like.

Also, MS has a cool new utility in beta for Windows OS users, SystemSweeper.
It can be loaded on a USB stick to allow a clean scan.

Back
Top Bottom