Wich. Analog King of Tone overdrive pedal

With little knowledge of the modeling process, I question whether one could capture the versatility of the pedal and the numerous tonal possibilities.

For those not familiar with the pedal, there are several options available when you order the pedal and quite a few more once you have it in hand. There are two channels that can be configured as clean, clean/boost, overdrive, two overdrives, an overdrive with a "high gain" option and of course the channels are stackable, etc., etc.

Inside the pedal you have access to two treble controls, one for each channel, that some use as a treble boost and others use to sculpt the tone control circuit to their liking. Also, inside are 4 DIP switches that allow you to "program" the two channels. You can also swap out the two op-amp chips for even more tonal options.

I would venture to guess that one would have to use two drive blocks in their signal chain, each representing one channel of the King of Tone pedal to really enjoy what this pedal can do and to experience all of the tonal options. The parameters page of this pedal would need to include the controls and adjustments found inside the pedal which are the treble adjustment pots, the DIP switches and the op-amp chips.
A separate parameter allowing you to select the high gain option would also be useful, this option has to be selected when you order the pedal as there is no onboard selector.

This pedal is the only overdrive that I have used for years and I still use today in front of the AX8 despite all of the great drives that are included.

I found it so valuable that I purchased a backup which I would be more than willing to ship to Fractal if they would like to take a shot at it. I would add that all of the controls and options inside and out would need to be modeled to accurately represent this pedal, to only model one channel or capture just the basic tonal structure would not do the pedal justice.

analogman.com/kingtone.htm

With little knowledge of the modeling process, I question whether one could capture the versatility of the pedal and the numerous tonal possibilities.

For those not familiar with the pedal, there are several options available when you order the pedal and quite a few more once you have it in hand. There are two channels that can be configured as clean, clean/boost, overdrive, two overdrives, an overdrive with a "high gain" option and of course the channels are stackable, etc., etc.

Inside the pedal you have access to two treble controls, one for each channel, that some use as a treble boost and others use to sculpt the tone control circuit to their liking. Also, inside are 4 DIP switches that allow you to "program" the two channels. You can also swap out the two op-amp chips for even more tonal options.

I would venture to guess that one would have to use two drive blocks in their signal chain, each representing one channel of the King of Tone pedal to really enjoy what this pedal can do and to experience all of the tonal options. The parameters page of this pedal would need to include the controls and adjustments found inside the pedal which are the treble adjustment pots, the DIP switches and the op-amp chips.
A separate parameter allowing you to select the high gain option would also be useful, this option has to be selected when you order the pedal as there is no onboard selector.

This pedal is the only overdrive that I have used for years and I still use today in front of the AX8 despite all of the great drives that are included.

I found it so valuable that I purchased a backup which I would be more than willing to ship to Fractal if they would like to take a shot at it. I would add that all of the controls and options inside and out would need to be modeled to accurately represent this pedal, to only model one channel or capture just the basic tonal structure would not do the pedal justice.

analogman.com/kingtone.htm
I have had both the standard and the higain KOT and a/b them, and I know all the options.
It would be great to have the od channel of the Kot pedal with the default settings of the inside presence trimpot as a pedal on the ax8.

Back
Top Bottom