Why would I buy an FX8 over an AX8 ???

Dealmaker

Inspired
So I have an Axe FXII and I'm on the wait list in Europe to get an FX8 (which are arriving imminently) - which I would use as a second rig with my Friedman amp.....but...I'm already getting tired of humping my large AXE rig, my MFC pedalboard and box, and a FRFR monitor to gigs....especially short - fast changeover , multi band type gigs.......and a full amp rig with the FX8 isn't going to be any easier (though it will be fun at home admittedly)

I have to say the Helix has got my attention and I'm liking the concept of turning up at short 1 hr set gigs with just a footboard and an FRFR monitor.

So if we assume the AX8 will be my go-to "best" option to achieve that (and I have to say I will want to compare it to the Helix in any event) - why would anyone, in my situation , buy the FX8 over the AX8 ??

Am I correct in thinking that the AX8 will have ALL the functionality of the FX8 - as well as amp modelling??.....so if I get an AX8 - I can use it as a "one box" solution for those type of gigs, and if I want - I can also use it in 4CM into my amp - and simply defeat the amp and cab modelling?? So I get the best of both worlds?? I appreciate there will be a price difference and that the AX8 will cost more - but is my logic flawed??

I guess my other option would be to get an FX8 and a Helix??

Thoughts?

An FX8 and Helix seems a bit overly redundant. Maybe an FX8 and a Kemper if waiting for the AX8 isn't really an option. I chose not the wait for the AX8 for a few reasons. It seems like mostly speculation as to what it will or will not do, what it will or will not cost and when it actually will be available.

Last edited:
The FX-8 and Ax-8 target different markets. The FX-8 is designed to appeal to guitarists (like me) who desire FAS quality effects while playing through tube amps. The Ax-8 will offer a limited number of amps and effects for those who also want amp modeling.

I am trying to simplify my "quick set up" gigging rig..........looks like its between the AX-8 and the Helix.....but the HELIX will be available next month......who knows when the AX-8 will be here!..............I am trying to buying the FX-8 as well.....but I don't know if the AX-8 will do EVERYTHING the FX-8 does or not?

After now doing almost 100 gigs across a couple of venues and some outdoor sets I can't imagine myself grabbing my tube amp for a gig (especially with v19). That said I have a local group of tube amp guys that I occasionally play with and we all had the same local builder build us some nice custom amps. Because of this I keep it and have considered the FX8. The reality is that it would likely not get turned on enough to justify the expense but I could probably sell the almost $2000 worth of rack gear and pedals I have and replace it all with the FX8.

The AX8 however for me will be a must have and I will use it with my wireless in ear monitor system allowing me to blend the house and my signal from the AX8 while still sending a signal to FOH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be getting the AX8 for all the same reasons as you, as compared an FX8.

I also have Axe Fx and Tube amp rigs and I can't conceive how one would even consider a Helix at the same level or as suitable option in this case.

I will be getting the AX8 for all the same reasons as you, as compared an FX8.

I also have Axe Fx and Tube amp rigs and I can't conceive how one would even consider a Helix at the same level or as suitable option in this case.

Yeah - the idea of an all in one and portable solution is appealing and the AX-8 fits the bill......but......the Helix appears to have a very user friendly and intuitive interface - and that appeals to me.....and in 99% of gig settings the no doubt superior sound quality of the AX-8 will be superfluous........however I want to see one and see how robust it is......though in fairness I have never had any issues with Line 6 kit..

I am waiting on delivery of my FX8. I don't do much amp modeling at this point. If I start, then maybe I'll consider the AX8 or Helix. What amazes me, though, is how people continue to dismiss the Helix when it isn't available yet. If all they're basing their opinions on is the previous (and current) line of POD's, my understanding is that this is a whole new animal. We may all be eating our words in the next few months.

Well, I do not pretend to be a business expert but I think this would be a great time for FAS to let us know a bit more about the AX8.............unless it's years away.

I'm also curious to know if the AX8 pictures floating around the Web are something that someone photoshopped, pictures of a prototype or the actual device that will be released.

AX8_zpsmrjcgjrv.jpg

What amazes me, though, is how people continue to dismiss the Helix when it isn't available yet. If all they're basing their opinions on is the previous (and current) line of POD's, my understanding is that this is a whole new animal. We may all be eating our words in the next few months.
Exactly my thinking. I keep reading posts with mantras a Helix has to have inferior sounds compared to the fx8, based on strange assumptions or half baked user videos that some see as sort of proof. If it only were for GUI, also for flexibility of routing and in/output connections I would go the line 6 route today. If it were for size (!) and less looking like a Samsung smartphone design, I would choose the fx8 today. There will be the day when I have both side by side under my feet, play them through my redplate amps the whole weekend, play them also through my acus acoustic amp with a western guitar and on Monday one of them goes for sale or back to the shop. Replace fx8 with ax8 if it was available. But when will that be - October as announced? Well, well...
The fact is I will invest and loose time and money until I stay with one of the three. Ahh, peace of mind at last, until eventide and strymon will come up with a one last thing after they realized that they lost a share of the market. Then it starts all over again. Does the audience on a gig even realize our pain? Does it realize we have new equipment to serve them? Hell. No.
Last night I played with a crazy fellow guitarist in a jam session, who loves to shock with simple gear. He had a cheap solid state Marshall, an old and beaten Framus parlor western guitar and a Shaller pickup in the sound hole. No effects. He played Hendrix. The sound was, well, raw, authentic and not so bad actually. The crowd went crazy. Nuff said.

My imminently are you saying you've heard from the distro when they will be arriving?

Yeah - G66 emailed the waiting list yesterday and said that the FX-8 shipment is en-route. I think I will bale on mine - buy a Helix (should be here next month) - and then wait to see if the AX-8 is any better.......before buying one of those.

The FX8 has some features that are optimized for use with an amp - True Bypass, Auto True Bypass functions, excellent support for the 4 cable method, unity gain, the ability to put a global volume pedal at the beginning of the PRE and POST signal chains, etc... It is my expectation that the AX8 will NOT have these same features as it is aimed at going direct and not specifically for use with an amp. Of course I could be totally wrong on that and that does not mean that the AX8 couldn't be used with an amp. Just that to make it do so as effectively as the FX8 would make no sense from a product development and marketing standpoint.

After using the FX8 with my amps I can see that it really is uniquely designed for it's task and does it much better than using an AxeFX in an amps effects loop. I have also tried using the FX8 with an amp sim pedal for going direct and found myself frustrated by the lack of separate outputs and output levels for sending a signal to the board and a separate signal to control my monitor volume. The lack of the 4x12 grid and a mixer block is also limiting for direct use - all features that I expect the AX8 will have (Cliff did say the AX8 will have the 4x8 grid).

At this point, I'm anxiously awaiting Fractal to release more details on the AX8. For what it's worth, I have no intention to look at Helix and have no expectation that it would work as well with an amp as the FX8.

I would love to see Fractal release details on the AX8. Also, a comparison chart to the FX8 would be helpful to clear up confusion over the differences between the two products.

Back
Top Bottom