Why would anyone buy a Kemper over the Axe-FX II?

IMHO - buy what you like with your own money, but don't expect everyone else to do the same.
For example : someone else might ask "why would anyone buy an axe fx instead of a real amp?" and that would be considered to be a troll post around here.

I look at it as there are a whole hell of a lot of cats out there and lots of ways to skin them all. I mean if everyone years ago said "Marshall is the best amp ever made, let's all use that" then we'd be pretty much exactly where we are today...but at least a few people deviated. :)

Different strokes for different folks. Ain't no skin off my back as long as I like what I'm hearing whether it's my or someone else's gear.

I just dove head first into the digital realm. My intent was to go all the way - or nothing, not part of the way. My goal was to find the best way of getting great tone to the FOH with a small footprint. Selling a couple of amps generated enough funds for a new A2, 2 x RCF monitors and the MFC. I looked briefly at the Kemper, but the proven performance of the A2, artist endorsements, reliability, history, continuous development, support and tone, kept me on the Fractal path. If all I was doing was sitting at a computer, recording clips, then it may have been different.

My loyalty to the Axe is 100% based on the fact it is the better tool for my needs. I tried a Kemper, thought it was pretty nifty, but there were many reasons not to change.

Much of the Kemper marketing is based on the "You can profile your own amps" - I'm sorry, this is utter bollocks.

No matter how good the technology is, there is a LOT more to profiling that just having some device (Kemper, or whatever else) at the end of the audio chain. If you look at the "mics" list in your Axe-FX amp block, there's $40,000 worth of different mics in that list. That's what you need to start doing proper profiling (plus proper pre-amps, plus a good sounding room, plus an engineer...) There are guys out there running IR businesses, and trust me, they're not just shoving an SM57 in front of a cabinet in their garage.

Hence truly getting the most out of a Kemper really means trawling the web looking for good quality profiles, and frankly I haven't got any time/desire for that. The Axe comes with everything I need.

My loyalty to the Axe is 100% based on the fact it is the better tool for my needs. I tried a Kemper, thought it was pretty nifty, but there were many reasons not to change.

Much of the Kemper marketing is based on the "You can profile your own amps" - I'm sorry, this is utter bollocks.

No matter how good the technology is, there is a LOT more to profiling that just having some device (Kemper, or whatever else) at the end of the audio chain. If you look at the "mics" list in your Axe-FX amp block, there's $40,000 worth of different mics in that list. That's what you need to start doing proper profiling (plus proper pre-amps, plus a good sounding room, plus an engineer...) There are guys out there running IR businesses, and trust me, they're not just shoving an SM57 in front of a cabinet in their garage.

Hence truly getting the most out of a Kemper really means trawling the web looking for good quality profiles, and frankly I haven't got any time/desire for that. The Axe comes with everything I need.

.....and, if I wanted to profile my amps on a Kemper to have decent profiles, I would just save the tweaking time and play the amps. so, it really defeats the purpose in that way.

steve

.....and, if I wanted to profile my amps on a Kemper to have decent profiles, I would just save the tweaking time and play the amps. so, it really defeats the purpose in that way.

steve

Have you tried Tone Matching on the Axe? Real amps are fun but with Tone Matching then tweaking in the axe you can take them from real to the idealistic sounds that previously only existed in your head.

I had Both and Like the sound of the Kemper Better. So I sold the Axe II and have not really looked back(10 Mos ago). Maybe I have wooden ears? I Play simple tones Ac30's and fender Blackfaces and tweeds. Maybe some trem or some Vintage delay. I still dont know what a quad chorus does. For me it was a better fit. If I were a different player I would rock the Axe II again for sure.

You asked,

I had Both and Like the sound of the Kemper Better. So I sold the Axe II and have not really looked back(10 Mos ago). Maybe I have wooden ears? I Play simple tones Ac30's and fender Blackfaces and tweeds. Maybe some trem or some Vintage delay. I still dont know what a quad chorus does. For me it was a better fit. If I were a different player I would rock the Axe II again for sure.

Fair dues
thumbsup.gif

You asked,

In accordance with the laws of Internet Forums, I am of course, now obligated to shout "Death to the Heretic"!

:D

Back
Top Bottom