Why use a power conditioner

I've used one for 20+ years now and it 'took one for the team' at a gig with some dodgy power a couple of years ago; would have been the Axe if I didn't have a surge/power/noise conditioner. I replaced all the MOVs and gas discharge absorbers and am good to go...I'd say they are worth it, also convenient too in a rack format. It's also interesting to see the wildly variable AC mains voltage in different rooms/times of the day if you have a volt meter on it...

424.jpg

Burned_Power_Supply-1.jpg

LOL some people really think a power conditioner is just a rack mounted power bar.... I even saw a video on youtube where a tech for one of the pro's says this.....BUT he still uses one to protect the rack.

Not to be rude, everyone is entitled to their own opinion but hell, do some homework guys. Sure if you buy the cheapest one, obviously you get a rack mounted power bar. Just like the AXE FX II and a Good FRFR you get what you pay for, and the level of quality increases the higher you go.

Even in a studio, a mid range power conditioner will keep any noise from computers, lights, or wifi from messing your recordings up. A small almost unnoticeable hum will get amplified over multiple tracks and its way too late at that point. Use a power conditioner or 2 and problem is solved.

Also, the majority of us that play out, are playing clubs, bars, pubs, etc, and these places don't have any regulation for their power. Are you comfortable plugging your Axe and Amp into a shared outlet with VLT's or a bank machine or even lights? What if your playing in a building thats 70 years old, does it have original wiring and fuse box? And theres a lot more "what if's"

My answer is spend a little money, have peace of mind, noiseless clear buzz/hum free sound, and never worry about it again.

I don't believe in them. If the power supply is well designed there should be no need for something like a Furman. IMO it's just a convenient power bar.

Perzactly.

There is no way the highest-end Furman (or Monster or whatever) is going to protect anyone from lightning strikes, they don't regulate the voltage, modern power supplies don't need regulated voltage anyway and have a ton of surge suppression on their front end to begin with, the size of the surges they can protect against are so small it's laughable, and they have no noise suppression capabilities at all. They're a convenient power strip with a common switch, is all. Maybe a light. Maybe a voltmeter, for whatever that's worth.

You could do just as well with a handy box and a couple duplex outlets bolted into the back of the rack. Make it a three-gang and add a lighted switch to it if you wanna get fancy. Use hospital-grade wiring devices if you want to go nuts. Still cost you less than a rack-mount widget, and you don't use a space.

do you have any concern with everything turning on at the same time, rather than in "stages"?? (I know the Carvin conditioner does this, but I use a voltage regulator) - will it damage the speakers or axe-fx or anything if you have one turn on before the other??

Maybe its because I used to use tube power amps, and obviously you can run into problems with sequences of power with tube gear.. but I suppose all solid state stuff should be fine??
I really have not had any issues or concerns turning everything on or off at the same time. I also have a tube amp, but it is plugged into a different power supply since it has to be powered on and off in stages, and thanks to the Axe II, it is rarely used.

LOL some people really think a power conditioner is just a rack mounted power bar.... I even saw a video on youtube where a tech for one of the pro's says this.....BUT he still uses one to protect the rack.

Not to be rude, everyone is entitled to their own opinion but hell, do some homework guys. Sure if you buy the cheapest one, obviously you get a rack mounted power bar. Just like the AXE FX II and a Good FRFR you get what you pay for, and the level of quality increases the higher you go.

Even in a studio, a mid range power conditioner will keep any noise from computers, lights, or wifi from messing your recordings up. A small almost unnoticeable hum will get amplified over multiple tracks and its way too late at that point. Use a power conditioner or 2 and problem is solved.

Also, the majority of us that play out, are playing clubs, bars, pubs, etc, and these places don't have any regulation for their power. Are you comfortable plugging your Axe and Amp into a shared outlet with VLT's or a bank machine or even lights? What if your playing in a building thats 70 years old, does it have original wiring and fuse box? And theres a lot more "what if's"

My answer is spend a little money, have peace of mind, noiseless clear buzz/hum free sound, and never worry about it again.

All depends where you are. In the UK - and the majority of the EU, power is really very stable. In this part of the world there is no need for power conditioners for anything unless you use a generator for power. Put a meter on our supply and there is little fluctuation.

Modern electronics also use PSUs capable of working on a large supply range - so again no issues. Anything with processing has filters for the signal path as well. Seriously no need. With analogue and valve kit there is an argument for there use sure - and in the US where I believe the power is rather erratic, there may also be a case - but as I said before, only if you use the models that regulate power - that is keep the voltage stable. The filtering on other models has no effect on modern electronics as noise on the power lines are filtered in-box (anything using switch mode PSUs HAVE to do this as part of their operation for instance).

I'm not worried about the power supply as such, I just use my Furman to avoid RF/EMI issues in venues. It works very well.

Even a knot is a wire is a power conditioner. Many power conditioners only protect from anomalies already made irrelevant by what is inside all electronics. And do not claim to protect from anything destructive.

Easy to identify anyone who all but wants to be scammed. They don't define each anomaly (and there are many). And they don't demands numbers with every recommendations.

Again, a 100% power conditioner is knots in a wire. It would be recommended by many if it was inside a box. Many know it must work when the knot is inside a box. And will then spend $40 for it.

Specially list each anomaly. Nothing solves all. Some anomalies must be solved back at the breaker box. Most are already solved better inside electronics. Every one must be put into perspective. That means specification numbers.

I do the same thing with my PL-8C. I've got my monitors, axe fx, sub woofer, computer, and computer monitor all hooked up. I don't see anything wrong with that. Its just a fancy rack mounted surge protector.

As do I. I have a pair of the Atomic tube powered FRFR cabinets, so I just have to remember to set them to standby mode before I turn everything off. There's a loud popping sound if I turn them off or on if they're not on standby, and that just doesn't sound good.

Picked up a couple Furman PowerPorts in a great deal.

Anybody have any experience with these?

I remember asking about this a while ago before I bought my axe and a few people mentioned that I would not need one for doing gigs. now it seems that everyone is using one ? :( I am not sure about the voltage spikes etc. here in malaysia, but at the same time will it be necessary for gigs etc. and if so what models should be recommended ? another thing is i just bought a 2u case as well :(

Back
Top Bottom