Why so many bizzare presets? (I am a newbie)

I am a new ultra owner and have yet to get a controller. I have the AXE-FX + 2 atomic cabs.

I notice that like line6, and all my rackmount effects units, the AXE-FX has about 3 weird sounding patches for every "useful patch". (movie sound effects patches) Is this becase these companies always want to show off all the effects, or is it becase with a controller, you can toggel off each of the effects individually, and the preset begins with them all turned on (and thats all i can hear without a good midi controller) ?

In my previous programable rig (ADA-MP1 + Quadraverb) i would make patches and copy those patchcs to get variations on volume and effects, therby only needing to switch to anohter patch to get to the next volume level or whatever. It soulds like this is a whole new ball game, where you have a base sound that you like, and then add/subtract effects in real time with your contoller, and perhaps need less patches. It sounds like most of you prefer volume pedel to just punching up anohter patch which is quieter/louder.

I think I am going to need a controller (hopefully with BIG tuner) + pedles for vloume and wah.

I think that presets must showcase the RANGE of a unit. This requires a certain degree of eccentricity.
You'd be quite surprised at how each of them in time gets picked up by one or another player to use as special effects or accents.
I recently heard a story where a very famous celebrity came dashing into the room when he heard the Axe-Fx preset "Poltergeist Pig"
"Stop everything and record that!" he shouted.

That said, there is certainly room for more bread and butter in an average player's arsenal-- the forum comminity excels in providing this sort of thing.
Many owners clear out some space to create their own sounds. You can always restore the factory presets using files found on the Fractal web site.

Not really sure if a lot of people agree with me on this, but the factory patches could probably use a good scrubbing and tweak. There have been an awful lot of firmware updates that improve the sound and while none of the patches sound horribly different they could probably be dialed in a bit differently or better.

And I agree that the majority of the gee-whiz stuff is neat for a few minutes, but creating your own patches is where it's at.

yeah, as with most boxes the factory presets are just something to showcase the range of the unit usually.
I checked out about the first 100 in my ultra and then just started creating my own patches overwriting whats there without even caring what it is.

I haven't heard/listened/used the stock presets in 3 years of owning and using this box daily.

Focus on what YOU want to do with it, not what it has for presets.

A lot of the presets may not have a sound you like/need, but they do show a lot of the effects routing possibilities. Try taking one of the weirder presets and dissecting it; you may find it very instructive. I've learned a few tricks from the presets. YMMV, etc.

I'm not against them. I've used all of them a second or two :mrgreen:
I just wish they came grouped together or in a seperate bank for those who want them.
It gets boring fast when demoing (so I'll try to use netbook or newly made banks).
There are a bit too many of them and some other killer presets should be in.
IMO, they are for a very small public. Basically, they were in it to attract Simeon, and now he's here, let's get rid of 'em ;)

Well, of course they showcase the unit as well, I agree, and you need some variation initially.
-
I often go through the presets. Some sound better now (most it seems), some worse + depending on the guitar used.
Cliff did the retuning at least once and it was a hell of a job, so I think everyone would love it but rather have he spends his time more usefully, unless no more important sound changes are in the future and the Axe has settled.
I'm not in the "presets suck" camp at all. A lot of them are killer, but wil depend on the guitar/pick-up/volume used. Thanks to all contributors! :cool:

Matman said:
I think that presets must showcase the RANGE of a unit. This requires a certain degree of eccentricity.
You'd be quite surprised at how each of them in time gets picked up by one or another player to use as special effects or accents.
I recently heard a story where a very famous celebrity came dashing into the room when he heard the Axe-Fx preset "Poltergeist Pig"
"Stop everything and record that!" he shouted.

That said, there is certainly room for more bread and butter in an average player's arsenal-- the forum comminity excels in providing this sort of thing.
Many owners clear out some space to create their own sounds. You can always restore the factory presets using files found on the Fractal web site.

Hi Matman.
I am the "creator" of Poltergeist Pig and was wondering to whom you might be referring to ( a very famous celebrity )just curiuos.

Hi rocketmorton52, that patch is still one of best special FX patches, thanks for that :D
Pulling that out at rehearsals or soundcheck and looking at other people's faces is priceless.
I never forget Cliff posting a clip of the patch when there was a discussion going on about "ghost notes" being modeled or not. :lol:

Sebastian said:
Hi rocketmorton52, that patch is still one of best special FX patches, thanks for that :D
Pulling that out at rehearsals or soundcheck and looking at other people's faces is priceless.
I never forget Cliff posting a clip of the patch when there was a discussion going on about "ghost notes" being modeled or not. :lol:

Thanks Sebastian....ya know what really sucks though? I was once a a very big idiot and sold my ULTRA:(
I ran into some financial difficulties and needed the dough.
FORTUNATELY I just ordered a Standard and although I wont be able to do the "poltergeist pig" I'm as happy as a pig in S*&%!!!

Thanks everyone. In all fairness, there are some very good presets on this unit as well. (now hat ive herard more of them) the brown sound, is bascally something that can be utilized "as is" and alot of other "normal" patches are very practical. I am keeping a notebook of the ones that I can see using in "real-life"

I just figure that with very single $99 digital device giving us 200 "horror movie sound effects" , that this unit would focus on its core competency which is "the very best direct solid state guitar sound" on the planet. The sound effects guy can use a POD. he does not need a kickass tone for the scene where the flying saucer lands. :)

rocketmorton52 said:
Hi Matman.
I am the "creator" of Poltergeist Pig and was wondering to whom you might be referring to ( a very famous celebrity )just curiuos.

I have to ask... what exactly where you thinking when you came up with Poltergeist Pig? :lol:

Any time I decide to have a flip through the presets again, that one without fail makes me laugh my nut off every time. :mrgreen:

Marshall30thAnn said:
The sound effects guy can use a POD. he does not need a kickass tone for the scene where the flying saucer lands. :)

umm... no.
as someone working in post-pro I assure you it's the other way 'round.

so called 'bread and butter' presets are ridiciously easy to program anyway. drive-amp-cab and your done. adjusting it to your liking is your job, just as it would be with a tube amp.

@ rocketmorton52
thanks for the Poltergeist Pig! brilliant patch, scares the hell out of my cat. :D

Back
Top Bottom