Why not just use the cheapest MIDI contoller available?

Ive been trying to come up to speed on the Fractal + the best power-amp/speaker as well as controller. If the MIDI controller is just pulling up presets, then what is the advantage of the MFC-100 or GCP? Is it the rugged housing? Becase I could just by 2 or 3 generic controllers (spares) and spend way less than $750 or $400. Some of the line6 controllers have onboard volume and wa-wa, so that isa value add, but the GCP and MFC-100 seem pretty generic. Am I mising something here?

Flexibility.
I have the cheapest available: Behringer FCB1010 (UnO chip). To be honest it's a bargain and it works great with the Axe and it's pretty solid as well. You'd really have to jump on it to break the switches. Now some people actually think you should be able to jump on switches... Anyway.

But! I'm limited to either 10PCs (Preset Change), 5 PC's and 5 IA's (Instant Access to parameter changes within one preset, like any block bypass, changing settings) or 10 IA's with the bottom row's LEDs not corresponding with the status of the IA's in the Axe-FX. And I can't change that layout on the fly.

I use stompbox mode with the FCB1010 UnO Chip (google it) so I can access 5 presets and 5 stomps in one bank. But I'd love to have access to more stomps per preset. Like the MFC that has reveal mode where all the preset switches are converted to IA switches as well (dual function), so all the switches (18? 21? or so?) on the board can be used for IA's. So the MFC CAN change the layout on the fly.

Also the pedals on the FCB can be a bit weird with the curve they send. I need to reverse that curve in the Axe-FX to get it near the desired response. The pedals are optical, but the foil that moves between the led and the LDR isn't cut exactly right. On my left pedal the first 1/2" nothing happens because the fade to black doesn't do much yet in that area. Some users have changed the foil on their FCBs, someone has sawed off the pedals and uses ordinary expression pedals wired to the electronics PCboard on the FCB. Apparently that works too.

i use a trusty old X15 that is bare bones. It does the job but it doesn't give you a blinking light for tap tempo, tuner display, preset naming, song lists, syncing up with what effect is active and probably a slew of other things.

I would like to get the fractal board but the X15 is doing the job for now.

This really depends what your style of playing is, and how you change your sound through a song. If you are using the Axe to simulate one amp, with no effects at all, then you don't even need a floorboard. Being in a covers band I'm often switching between several guitar parts in one song. For many songs I'll have rhythm and lead sounds, plus a mid boost to raise the sound a little between vocal lines, and maybe a light chorus effect for a different sound in the middle eight. Then there are songs which have their own effects: tremolo, univibe, phaser, which cut it and out at different points. The floor board rapidly becomes part of your instrument, just as the stops are on an organ.

I've had an Ultra for a couple of weeks. Yes, the sounds are very good, but exploring them is almost a distraction. Most of my effort has gone into setting it up for ease of switching on stage. Choice of floorboard is eventually going to be crucial. Like Dutch, I use and FCB1010, set up with 5 patch and 5 stomp pedals. Already I'm wondering whether it will give the ease of use that I need.

Some details about the MFC-101:

1. Axe-Fx mode sets it up for you automatically. Preset names appear in the display when they are loaded without programming the unit. The MIDI Controller numbers for effects (or tempo/tuner_ assigned to switches are determined automatically without programming, and you get the bi-color LEDs as you change presets, letting you know which effects are ON, OFF or NOT PRESENT (=don't bother to stomp here... nothing will happen)

2. Depending on your needs, the MFC offers 4 pedal and 4 switch jacks for externals. I use 3 pedals already: Input Volume, Dedicated Wah, and Expression, which varies per preset.

3. The MFC will serve you in a "unique control needs" pinch in ways that other products mentioned here cannot. The kinds of creative features I refer to are, for example: Custom Midi Message per preset and IA Switch State, extra program change per IA state, custom data ON and OFF values for IA Switch CC messages, custom pedal values on preset change, etc. etc.

4. Fractal has said there will be updates. Them's big words. Ask anyone here to compare Axe-Fx firmware v5 to v10.03 :)

I also use a cheap old ART X15, and it more than meets my needs. Sure, it would be nice to have tuner display and tap tempo blinks, but my Ultra is never far, and I can always look at it (of course, the Axe tap tempo blinking is not as accurate and precise as I would like, but I digress).

For me, the X15 with 10 presets *or* 10 IAs to turn effects on&off, and its two built-in expression pedals gives me all the flexibility I want or need. I am NOT going to spend >$500 on a floorboard just because it has more bells and whistles, though some users need that flexibility (I don't). I needed two more controllers (a volume pedal and a tap tempo switch), so I'm using the two pedal inputs on the back of the Axe (along with a Roland expression pedal for volume, and a Boss non-latching switch for tap tempo). The two expression pedals on my X15 are always at my disposal for <whatever> my imagination can come up with.

My first X15 lasted 15 years, and I (unfortunately) sold it. More recently, I picked up a used one on eBay ($70) and have been using it with my Ultra for more than three years. No issues. I don't expect any.

i run a gordius little giant 2. it is at the more expensive end of the market but on the good side...

i have the ability to display my tuner clearly on the screen,
i have bank and preset names displayed,
my stompbox lights correspond to my settings on the axe,
i have the ability to attach 4 external controllers, (switches or expression),
i have two direct banks (reveal switches),
my tap tempo is displayed,
it phantom powers from the axe fx,
it is very compact,
it is super flexible, (sends soooo many types of midi commands),
it has a fantastic editor program,
it has firmware upgrades,
and FUKN AWESOME customer support.

there is no bad side... i'm in love. my ultra is like a ferrari my gordius is the keys.

Marshall30thAnn said:
If the MIDI controller is just pulling up presets, then what is the advantage of the MFC-100 or GCP?
if that's all you're doing, there is none. OTOH, if you want patch names, tuner display, fx state indication, access to more than 127 patches, or song mode, it's a lot more difficult with a cheap controller if it's possible at all.

For tuner : MFC, Gordius or Liquid Foot.

I have the cheapest around there : Rocktron X Change (you rich people with your Behringer :lol: ), bought it in order to wait for the MFC, but as I'm having only a few presets to switch between it's currenty doing the job quite well :mrgreen:

Marshall30thAnn said:
Anyone know of one with built in pedels, tap tempo, and TUNER?
Don't think that it exists as of yet. All the ones with built in tuner display use external pedals AFAIK.

Back
Top Bottom