Why Matrix?

I love my GT1000FX. Apart from what has already been said, I also like how it is engineered to not be at risk of going up in a cloud of smoke should you power it up without anything connected. I was particularly thankful for that when a combination of the wrong speaker cable length and my clumsiness meant I kicked out the monitor cable from my GT1000FX mid-song.....

(Lesson learned: Longer, and Speakon-style cable is on the way !!!)

The headroom on it is outstanding.

Hi there,
We do like the Speakon connectors, no chance of them being pulled out.

Best regards
Matt

Sorry to hijack but I'm thinking of an Active CLR wedge. Do you guys know if it's Class A/B and Mosfet??? Would CLR sound better if it's powered by a Matrix system???

The CLR is has a class D power stage. That said, its designed to work with the speaker design -= and Jay knows his stuff. It will sound awesome Im sure - whether the feel of playing a real amp/cab is there I dont know as I havent tried one yet - and only trying can tell you if it works for you in that respect.

The CLR is has a class D power stage. That said, its designed to work with the speaker design -= and Jay knows his stuff. It will sound awesome Im sure - whether the feel of playing a real amp/cab is there I dont know as I havent tried one yet - and only trying can tell you if it works for you in that respect.

Thanks so much. I'll try active wedge and see how I like it first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

simple, because it is the best thing around

great sound
lightweight
power
is putting out the sound in the air what is coming out of the axe
great service
versatile......

name it

good luck!

Reactions: Ole
Mostly because there are more users that have gone that route, and they are getting the most press. I'm sure they are great amps, but I go by my own ears. One of the forum members had both the DCM1540L and a Matrix, and stated that he actually preferred tha Carvin. To me the Carvin DCM1540L delivers everything you could want at less than half the cost (paid $349 for mine). It's class A/B, 1500 watts, runs cool. It's only con (if you can call it one) is that it's 2u, which did not matter to me. Going from an Atomic 50/50 tube power amp to the Carvin, I had to make zero adjustments to make the Carvin seem more "tube-like". I live in the U.S. and I will by U.S. made products whenever possible to support our economy, given they meet my expectations. My 2 cents. :)

Replaced my Carvin DCM200L with a GT800 and very happy with it. BUT-- I was also happy with the DCM200. The only issue at the time was the (power) the DCM200 just did not have enough. But my goal was to stay single space, Carvin did not make anything else with more power in a single space. Otherwise I would have most likely gone that route. And at the time time the buzz was alive with the Matrix GT800 and it was one of those "what the hell moments" and it had all that extra power in a single space, seemed to be a "win win". And the unit lived up to the buzz.

Since then there is other stuff I have come to appreciate about Matrix the first it is a solid little bastard, built really well! The other thing is the costumer servive I have read about time and time, myself I never needed them.

Back to the Carvin! If your budget only allows a Carvin, dont feel you have to settle! Like I said before if Carvin had a single space with more power I would have went for that. If you do go for a Carvin not all DCM's are the same, some are class "D" so read the specs. But the DCM1540 does seem to meet the criteria, if I was to get one that would be my choice. The big brother to the DCM200L. MOre power and also class AB.

John

Replaced my Carvin DCM200L with a GT800 and very happy with it. BUT-- I was also happy with the DCM200. The only issue at the time was the (power) the DCM200 just did not have enough. But my goal was to stay single space, Carvin did not make anything else with more power in a single space. Otherwise I would have most likely gone that route. And at the time time the buzz was alive with the Matrix GT800 and it was one of those "what the hell moments" and it had all that extra power in a single space, seemed to be a "win win". And the unit lived up to the buzz.

Since then there is other stuff I have come to appreciate about Matrix the first it is a solid little bastard, built really well! The other thing is the costumer servive I have read about time and time, myself I never needed them.

Back to the Carvin! If your budget only allows a Carvin, dont feel you have to settle! Like I said before if Carvin had a single space with more power I would have went for that. If you do go for a Carvin not all DCM's are the same, some are class "D" so read the specs. But the DCM1540 does seem to meet the criteria, if I was to get one that would be my choice. The big brother to the DCM200L. MOre power and also class AB.

John

It's great, so many choices. In my case, budget was not the deciding factor in going with the Carvin, but I'm always looking for a good value. I originally planned on buying both the Carvin and a Matrix GT1000FX and doing an A/B comparison, but after being so impressed with the Carvin there was no need to look further. It works for me ;)

Last edited:
prior to the GT1000FX I used a Marshall 8008 valve state

the 8008 and GT1000FX are actually quite similar in as much as they don't get in the way
although the 8008 does add a hint of colour whereas the GT1000FX don't
for sheer horsepower, they're both real loud.. the GT1000FX though comes out on top here too..
compared to many of the other power amps, the 8008's weight is [I thought at the time I got it] very good
the GT1000FX is considerably lighter

I've actually gone from a situation I was extremely happy with to something better...
not often that happens eh..

I am interested would the GT1000FX with the new Matrix Guitar cab have more of a traditional amp backline vibe than the GT1000FX with the Matrix frfr cab?
Thanks, Chris

I am interested would the GT1000FX with the new Matrix Guitar cab have more of a traditional amp backline vibe than the GT1000FX with the Matrix frfr cab?
Thanks, Chris

Since it reportedly uses normal guitar speakers, you'd probably get the best results with speaker sims off, thus reducing the versatility you have on a FRFR monitor from different speaker IR's somewhat

I use the matrix and guitar cabs through the fix loop out, and use out 1 for FOH, FRFR Theres different sounds for different reasons, there all great sounds. I think a great sound would be guitar cabs out,frfr out 1,out 1 also to FOH I think the blend of the 2 could be interesting.

Thanks, Chris

yes it does...
I've played the Matrix 2x12 through a GT1000 [cab sims off] and through the Matrix Reaper
it sounds just like a conventional high end 2x12 cab
the surprising thing is it's low end responce...
you seriously 'feel it'.. it really took me by surprise..
physically it's quite a small and light cab compared to most others..
but don't let that fool ya.. it packs a surprising punch..
the highs are very sparkly and clear..
and the lows are very deep and powerful

personally I've never been a fan of 2x12 cabs.. I've always preferred the 4x12..
for me though, this Matrix 2x12 is the exception..
it's absolutely superb..

Since it reportedly uses normal guitar speakers, you'd probably get the best results with speaker sims off, thus reducing the versatility you have on a FRFR monitor from different speaker IR's somewhat

I wouldn't consider 'cab sims off' as a loss of anything at all..
although it's pretty obvious that an inability to opt for any cab with any amp [which you get with FRFR] would at first glance seem to be a huge advantage, but once you've dialled in your working tones to your traditional cabs you find that you can still get your tone where you want it to be..
in that sense it's no different to you having a real amp / cab and having to work out all your clean, riff and soloing tones.. but now you can have any amp through your cab.. so there's still tremendous flexibility to hand..
when having all your tones run through the same cab type, you do get a certain consistent quality to your voice
when dialling in your tones, you don't have to spend years auditioning amp and cab combinations to find the right match.. lol..
so the preset creation process is greatly simplified..

I've used FRFR and use traditional 4x12 cabs..
personally.. I think that both solutions have their merits..
there's no right / wrong or better / worse way to go..
they're just different options, and both good for different reasons

great to have so much choice ain't it...

I use the matrix and guitar cabs through the fix loop out, and use out 1 for FOH, FRFR Theres different sounds for different reasons, there all great sounds. I think a great sound would be guitar cabs out,frfr out 1,out 1 also to FOH I think the blend of the 2 could be interesting.

I sooooo see where you're coming from

I've been doing this for ages now. OUT1 (FRFR) goes to the desk and feeds the Monitors and FOH. OUT2 goes to my Matrix and 4x12 cab. The band hears the FRFR signal through their IEM's and the audience will hear a mixture of both, which sounds huge. I find that the FOH signal 'fills in' the frequency gaps left by the real cab, and also helps the sound carry / increases the stereo spread. My presets have an enhancer block after the FX loop, so the FOH gets even more spread.

True, so do I.

I got a Stewart SS amp and it sounds awesomely clear to me. I have not yet tried out a Matrix but from what I keep hearing, it's the same concept only more expensive.

My GT1000fx 2U is also QUIET AS HELL! I owned an 800 and liked it, but I highly recommend the 2U 1000 for its whisper quiet operation.

True, so do I.

I got a Stewart SS amp and it sounds awesomely clear to me. I have not yet tried out a Matrix but from what I keep hearing, it's the same concept only more expensive.

there are plenty of good clean / clear SS poweramps..

the GT1000FX has an extra trick up it's sleave [in addition to being powerful, light weight etc]
although tonally it's very transparent, feel wise it reacts in a similar way to a valve poweramp
most SS amps are pretty static in this respect..

you really notice it when you get the volume up and start throwing down the big riffs
it's not something you hear so much as feel

Back
Top Bottom