Why Matrix?

stm113

Power User
I know that for most people on this forum the Matrix power amp is the way to go for either FRFR (unless you're using active speakers) or through a cab. I am curious why? What is it about the Matrix that makes them so awesome? In theory shouldn't any power amp with a good level of transparency, plenty of clean headroom & power do the job very well? I ask because I have 2 other options that will fit my budget much better, 1 of which being Carvin.

...... What is it about the Matrix that makes them so awesome? ......
I haven't dealt with Matrix myself so I can't say whether their power amps are awesome, but they seem to have good customer support and good sounding light weight power amps

....... In theory shouldn't any power amp with a good level of transparency, plenty of clean headroom & power do the job very well? I ask because I have 2 other options that will fit my budget much better, 1 of which being Carvin.
Yes any such power amp should do the job well.

In no particular order: Tone, power, headroom, flexibility, weight, price, service, silent, form factor, LEDs :D I love my GT1000FX.

All of this ^ plus Class A/B Operation, the fact that they designed these amps working with customers/players throughout to make sure that they delivered, and they do!

If you're in the market for a Power amp to partner your Axe then I don't think you can go wrong with one of these amps. Just MHO as an existing customer/fanboy. If you have any questions then shoot Matt an email and he'll sort you out.

Spence

Class A/B is a massive +. Even cliff said that to use SS power amps, you really need class a class A/B, Mosfet amp. Class D amps just dont feel the same. The main issue with such designs (historically) is they get hot, so the power is limited, and they are heavy because of the power supply transformers and cooling heat sinks associated with trying to get the heat away. Class D amps in comparison generate much less heat and so can be considerably lighter.

What Matix have done is find a way to generate less heat, while removing the heat that is generated - and partnering the amp with their own designed power supply - which is switch mode so light, but designed to a higher spec than normal amps in their price range. That means they can increase the power available from a class A/B design while keeping the size and weight down. Thats what makes them such a good fit.

In theory, any well designed Class A/B Mosfet amp will be as good, or very close. Good luck finding one that generates the same amount of power/headroom, at a similar weight/size and price. You can get some of those, but not all.

I dont know technically why. Just my fingers and ears tell me they are different than other power amp. So flexible in application too. Whether to power an axe fx or in a slave config for your 100 watt plexi, they are tasty treats for my sonic habit
I still cant believe that much power and feel comes in one RU.

I have three principle requirements from a power amp

1 - lots of power [cos some places I play are quite large and I need plenty of headroom]

2 - light weight [cos I almost always fly to a gig]

3 - transparent tone [because the tone comes from the Axe]

the GT1000FX delivers all all these and adds two more great attributes

- it has a valve-like feel [makes for an even more natural feeling playing experience]

- in the dark [on stage] it looks absolutely awesome

so the choice for me was an easy one

I love my GT1000FX. Apart from what has already been said, I also like how it is engineered to not be at risk of going up in a cloud of smoke should you power it up without anything connected. I was particularly thankful for that when a combination of the wrong speaker cable length and my clumsiness meant I kicked out the monitor cable from my GT1000FX mid-song.....

(Lesson learned: Longer, and Speakon-style cable is on the way !!!)

The headroom on it is outstanding.

I don't know any technical things, as I'm 'guitarded' ;) But All I know is that it works and I couldn't ask of anything more. It just does exactly what you think a solid state poweramp should do.

I have a Stewart World 1.2 and it's Class AB. Clean/clear sound and much cheaper than a new Matrix amp

Mostly because there are more users that have gone that route, and they are getting the most press. I'm sure they are great amps, but I go by my own ears. One of the forum members had both the DCM1540L and a Matrix, and stated that he actually preferred tha Carvin. To me the Carvin DCM1540L delivers everything you could want at less than half the cost (paid $349 for mine). It's class A/B, 1500 watts, runs cool. It's only con (if you can call it one) is that it's 2u, which did not matter to me. Going from an Atomic 50/50 tube power amp to the Carvin, I had to make zero adjustments to make the Carvin seem more "tube-like". I live in the U.S. and I will by U.S. made products whenever possible to support our economy, given they meet my expectations. My 2 cents. :)

Mostly because there are more users that have gone that route, and they are getting the most press. I'm sure they are great amps, but I go by my own ears. One of the forum members had both the DCM1540L and a Matrix, and stated that he actually preferred tha Carvin. To me the Carvin DCM1540L delivers everything you could want at less than half the cost (paid $349 for mine). It's class A/B, 1500 watts, runs cool. It's only con (if you can call it one) is that it's 2u, which did not matter to me. Going from an Atomic 50/50 tube power amp to the Carvin, I had to make zero adjustments to make the Carvin seem more "tube-like". I live in the U.S. and I will by U.S. made products whenever possible to support our economy, given they meet my expectations. My 2 cents. :)

I have the carvin t100 (100 w tune) and I love it. Carvin also has great customer service.

I can vouch for the fantastic Matrix costumer service. They repaired my amp very rapidly, even after a white wine related mishap.

Matrix has called me at home twice, and not even for having a broken unit or anything like that. They called me solely on seeing a post where I didn't understand something about the unit.

Separate from the customer service part, I have tried the Axe-FX II thru a Mosvalve MV-962 and Rocktron Velocity 300 and the Matrix GT1000FX blew them both away. Very loud, although a light piece of gear, and translated the sounds of my Axe-FX II without coloring the tone.

I got my gt1000fx through word of mouth . I have had no issues it sounds great,as far as the fan I've never heard it.GREAT AMP!

After trying other solutions I tried the Matrix products (GT1000FX and the Q12 cab). Right out of the box everything worked, felt and sounded great. It is as if the Matrix products were designed and spec'd for the Axe-FX. Truly remarkable how seamless they integrate together. As a gigging musician the Matrix amp sealed the deal for me. I now gig exclusively with the Axe-FX (powered by a Matrix amp).

I don't own any Matrix products yet, but judging from their posts on this forum I'd have to say their great customer service is one reason to consider buying their products.
It also seems like about half of the forum is using their products and loving them.

Sorry to hijack but I'm thinking of an Active CLR wedge. Do you guys know if it's Class A/B and Mosfet??? Would CLR sound better if it's powered by a Matrix system???

Back
Top Bottom