Why is the Matrix GT1000 needed?

Hello everyone,

Newb question here- I've been spending the last month or so lurking and trying to learn as much as possible for a future AFX purchase.

Why do I frequently see these two pieces of equipment paired together? I don't know much about the matrix but from what I've gathered it's a power amp? For what reasons would you need that and not rely on the amp sims in the AFX?

It's for powering a passive speaker. Be it a passive FRFR, 2x12 or 4x12. People use it because it's good and it works. I use mine on a 2x12 and it has been powering my bass rig 2x12 and 1x15.

Basically, it's known as the "best" power amp for the Axe FX and other modelers. It's also convenient because they manufacture a 1U version that weighs around 7 lbs and doesn't take up much space or add much weight to your rack setup. You can realistically use any power amp that you'd like, but the cork sniffers tend to flock to the matrix because 1. It's lightweight and sounds better than most power amps on the market 2. Big acts like Metallica use them 3. They're hand built and very high quality. Andy is extremely easy to work with if you have any questions or concerns about the Marix. I owned the GT1000fx and it was an amazing sounding power amp. I only sold mine because I bought powered FRFR speakers, thus nullifying the need for a power amp.

Would I recommend it? Absolutely, if it's within your budget. If not, a decent Crown power amp would be a great alternative that will still sound good.

The amount of audio power that the Axe FX puts out is just a bit more than what would power a headset. If you want to hear it out loud, or have enough power to fill a big room, you need some sort of power amp. That can be something like the Atomic CLR, which (in some versions) has a amp in with the speaker. Or you could use the Matrix amplifier into whatever speaker you like. You can also plug it into your guitar amp or PA system. The guitar amp and speakers will change the sound. So a lot of people use something that covers the full audio range and has a flat response (FRFR) to amplify the Axe. Such as the CLR or the Matrix through a flat response speaker (or many other options).

It is just a question of what works best for you

Hello everyone,

Newb question here- I've been spending the last month or so lurking and trying to learn as much as possible for a future AFX purchase.

Why do I frequently see these two pieces of equipment paired together? I don't know much about the matrix but from what I've gathered it's a power amp? For what reasons would you need that and not rely on the amp sims in the AFX?

The amp sims in the Axe-Fx simulate the tone and response of a guitar amp, but the unit only outputs a line level signal. You need a real amp to play the unit through passive speakers such as a guitar cabinet, or you need a powered speaker which has a built in amp.

The Axe does have headphone output though so I guess technically you could buy one to just play quietly at home, or for PC recording, but you'd ideally want to at least have some decent desktop studio monitors to hook it up to for best enjoyment

For what reasons would you need that and not rely on the amp sims in the AFX?

You actually are relying more on the Amp sims and less on the cab sims. From what I've learned, people who leverage the Matrix power amps or Atomic CLRs go for simulating an amp without simulating a cab push the simulated amp into a powered setup.

I have not used them before but this is what I reference in building presets:
- At home Adam F7X studio monitors WITH Cab sims
- FOH pro sound at church for fine tuning if required

Someday I'll get an Atomic CLR to see what I've been missing.

The Axe-Fx itself can't power a guitar cab. If you're using a guitar cab, you'll need a power amp, and the Matrix is known to be a good pair with the Axe-Fx because of its neutral sound.

You won't need a poweramp if you use powered speakers, or in other words speakers that come with their own built-in power sections, like studio monitors or PA speakers.

Thanks guys this all makes perfect sense - I hadn't considered that the matrix was for speakers and not related to the amp sims in the unit. I guess at this point the next step is to determine whether I want powered or passive speakers.

The matrix is used to take your axe fx and make it louder, some people use it with non powered speakers, some use it into a real guitar cab, and some don't use it at all because they have self powered speakers such as the atomic clr etc. either way, something needs to amplify your signal.

Thanks guys this all makes perfect sense - I hadn't considered that the matrix was for speakers and not related to the amp sims in the unit. I guess at this point the next step is to determine whether I want powered or passive speakers.

Depends what you're doing, if you're just a studio guy, then studio monitors (powered, most are) will be fine, for live work or huge volume a power amp/speaker cab combo will be needed.

There is a third way, I use a powered wedge monitor live, works for me and is a nice compact unit.

There are endless options really. But remember the axe puts out a line level signal, so needs amplification to drive anything other than headphones.

Matrix offer a line of powered FRFR cabs, so you get the Matrix power amp and FRFR speaker all in one unit. I have the FR12 which is fantastic. It is powerful, but compact and light. It sounds huge, easily handles rehearsals and gigs with a loud 5 piece rock band. they alos offer the FR10, same but with a 10inch spkr.

It's for powering a passive speaker. Be it a passive FRFR, 2x12 or 4x12. People use it because it's good and it works. I use mine on a 2x12 and it has been powering my bass rig 2x12 and 1x15.

So could you use the Matrix to power the 2x12 speakers of an AC30, instead of using the AC30's power section? Assuming of course you unplug the speakers from the AC30's power amp section. In my case, the speakers plug into the AC30 chassis with a 1/4" jack.

Xitone uses the same power amps as those Matrix cabs and they offer lots of custom options for cabinet configurations to boot.
...and Mic of xitone builds some of the best options available, IMO, and of more than a few others here...I have a first generation of his 12” Matrix powered wedges and and they’ve been rock solid for years.

...and Mic of xitone builds some of the best options available, IMO, and of more than a few others here...I have a first generation of his 12” Matrix powered wedges and and they’ve been rock solid for years.

No doubt the Xitone stuff is awesome.

Xitone uses the same power amps as those Matrix cabs and they offer lots of custom options for cabinet configurations to boot.

I looked at Xitone stuff And really wanted to go that way but the Matrix stuff was waaaay cheaper here in Australia so in the end I had no real choice from a budget point of view. That being said I am very, very happy with Matrix FR though one day when finances allow I would love to get my hands on a CLR or a Xitone.

You guys would be shocked if you knew what we pay for gear over here.

Last edited:
If you are considering buying a neutral power amp to compliment an axe fx you should also consider the Fryette Power Station.
I had the GT1000 and Power Station for a while and the Fryette, to my ears, was superior. It was a feel thing as much as the sound. Especially at higher volume. I sold the Matrix.

Don't get me wrong the GT1000 has advantages in being stereo but it is boomier and doesn't respond in quite the same way as the Fryette which uses tubes.

People will disagree but I'd encourage you to do an A-B test to be sure for your own benefit.

Back
Top Bottom