Why is the CLR so much more popular in comparison to Matrix equivalents?

I'm perfectly happy with 2 Matrix CRF12's and the GT1000FX 1U.
Based on the weight factor alone, the CFR's are only 28lbs each compared to the CLR's which are 44lbs each for the passive wedges.
I haven't seen anything on their site about the CLR Neo's, so I can't comment on those.

just my .02

Sorry for the double post. I tried to delete the second but it didn't work...

Those boxes, in their time, were each deemed "the one to buy" as dictated by the Internet (or at least this forum), just as the CLR is today. Before the FBT the buzz was for the QSC HPR12.

Back in 2008 I struggled with my old EVs I had on hand, so I went out and bought a QSC HPR12. It was "the one to buy" at that time, but I struggled it too. So I gave up and went for real guitar cabs. Pretty happy ever since, but I've been tempted to buy every one of the next FRFR contenders. Each time a new, better box comes out I'm tempted again, but also happy I never shelled out for the previous one. I keep thinking a new contender is going to knock out the CLR soon :)

No doubt something will come along at some point that solves a problem that the CLR doesn't solve (weight vs. price, size vs. performance, something else?). The thing about the CLR is it is the first product aimed specifically at those of us who want a Coincident Linear Reference system that is loud, very flat, and sounds "big" in a wedge format. All the previous products were marketed for use as stage monitors and/or mains.

The CLR marks the beginning of a new market. It will be awesome when there are more options that perform as well or better than the CLR, but I'm not holding my breath.

Yeah, i'm not sure at all the "hyping process" for the CLR has been like the previous products you guys are mentioning.

Mr. Mitchell clearly explained the thought behind the design, and demonstrated how - basically - a cab of that size, weight and cost couldn't sound better. First people who experienced the product confirmed that they sounded spectacular.

In this case, we don't only have a critical mass of happy users, but also a solid technical explanation of how and why the sound is so good. Theory and practise have enforced each other like never before. Also, the designer has attended the forums and has always been ready to give technical answers to users' and potential customers' doubts and questions, and his words always had a common ground: the emphasys on the quality of sound and performance.

Of course, you can afford such a communication strategy only if your facts are by far over any possible controversy, interpretation, criticism. Every time someone has asked about an apparent limitation of characteristic of the CLR, Mr. Mitchell has been able to show why it was that way, and why it was not possible to do better without deeply modifying some basic characteristic of its (weight, size, cost, directivity... You name them).

AFAICR, this had never happened before, and has made a difference IMO.

:)

Guys that don't like (or don't *want* to like) something are prone on the internet to wave their hand and dismiss everything else as 'fanboys', 'shills', 'hype', etc. and further sometimes extend it out to ad homenium attacks aka, attack the character of those that do prefer the 'other' option.

From that end of it - this is often a bunch of nonsense. "Hype" is what is done when someone raves something up before they have hand's on experience with it. If some one tries something, gives their real world experience and shares their opinion - it is their opinion. Not hype. There's no 'hype' with the CLR. It's real world proven, it's been used extensively by *many* guitarists across the globe. Like it or not, it's a successful product for what it was designed to do.

When you read the negative and the positive; always consider the source. Look at the context they add to base their opinions on. Be careful accepting sweeping generalizations - either pro or con - as gospel truth. Look at the history of the reviewer, look at their track record and what they do, how they do it and decide if the data point provided adds value or subtracts credibility from the value of that data.

There are people on this forum and other forums that are so destructive with their negative framing and consistently dogging specific products, people that own them and companies that make them so that it fully undercuts their credibility entirely. The onus is on the reader to vet that credibility though; and given that everyone doesn't have the time or inclination to do so that can be an issue. Whenever you see 'camps' for any sort of 'this vs. that'; pop up your credibility radar and take some time vetting what is really going on. When one's agenda supersedes their credibility, take their opinion with a grain of salt.

When you read 'hype' as a descriptor though, I would hope your spider-sense is tingling. Other code words that make any opinion suspect are listed in my first sentence. I gig weekly and have done so for decades. I've been a live performer playing guitar since I was 14. I know what I like and I know what I am doing for my own purposes. When I do not know something, I do the research and consult with the people that do until I can understand what I needed to know.

Specific to the CLR - the box itself is the definition of anti-hype. The performance of it in live and studio settings is the closest I've ever found to accuracy and the absence of any hyped frequencies for less than $2500 for this application. The value for a powered CLR wedge versus an unpowered Meyer (which is still the king daddy of all boxes I've used, albeit for only a few bigger festival shows where they were provided by the sound company) is not hype.

IMHO, and having owned and run (gigged/studio) and also designed/programmed and built out rigs for hundreds of others using the Axe-FX (Standard/Ultra/II) in a direct-to-FOH rig paradigm spanning genre's from folk acoustic to chant rock to classic rock to P&W to metal and all points in between is that the CLR does the job, is very versatile, dependable and consistent. It's frequency response, noise floor and SPL level are excellent.

I have personally owned many of the powered monitors (and unpowered monitors) from JBL, EV, Mackie, Alto, QSC, FBT, Tannoy, Atomic, and reviewed, used, demoed and/or gigged MANY more. I've got firsthand experience with Matrix, EAW and many more. There are great products, good products, usable products and bad products. I've run conventional guitar cabs my whole life. I've run live sound, recorded, engineered, mastered music for over 20 years. I owned and ran a mastering house for 3 years professionally. I do not make it my practice to denigrate any product that I do not recommend, I just do not enter into those conversations by choice.

IMHO, I highly recommend the Atomic CLR. I own and use two of the Neo version of them by choice because they work. I can depend on them. They are very versatile.

I own 2 Matrix Q12's powered by a Matrix GT1000Fx. They sound fantastic, nice and thick, and almost a direct match in tone (when cranked up) to our PA so they are great for dialling in FRFR tones at home as well as sound stage reinforcement at a gig. I highly recommend them as I couldn't imagine a better tone than I'm getting right now. I did have the opportunity to AB the Q12 with a CLR powered wedge and it was a no brainer to go with the Q12's. Maybe it was just the way it was eq'd but to me the CLR didn't have the same top end clarity as the Q12's. That being said it wasn't an apples to oranges comparison as the Q12's are passive and the CLR was active. When it comes to performance I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Q12's. The dollar to British pound conversion and shipping however puts a bit of a sting into future purchases though.

VERY well said, Scott. I find the 'drank the Kool Aid', 'Took the red pill', 'victim of hype' thing to be insulting. I read the rave reviews (many of which were thoughtful and detailed and utterly devoid of hype. I was still skeptical. I already had a rig I liked, after many, many permutations, but wanted my rack to be lighter, which meant goodbye rack amp and passive cab. The Neo CLR seemed to fit the bill - but also sounded too good to be true. Within 5 minutes of plugging it in I realized that is was NOT too good to be true: that this tiny speaker sounded GREAT, got REALLY loud (louder than my GT1000FX/Passive FRFR speaker combo, in fact), and was beautifully engineered for use and transport. It's just a great product, and after about an hour, I knew that I was not going to send it back after the 14 day try-and-return-if-you-don't-like-it period. It is a remarkable piece of gear. And I THANK the serious reviewers, Scott Peterson and Cobbler first and foremost among the pack, for providing me the impetus to try out this solution.
Guys that don't like (or don't *want* to like) something are prone on the internet to wave their hand and dismiss everything else as 'fanboys', 'shills', 'hype', etc. and further sometimes extend it out to ad homenium attacks aka, attack the character of those that do prefer the 'other' option.

From that end of it - this is often a bunch of nonsense. "Hype" is what is done when someone raves something up before they have hand's on experience with it. If some one tries something, gives their real world experience and shares their opinion - it is their opinion. Not hype. There's no 'hype' with the CLR. It's real world proven, it's been used extensively by *many* guitarists across the globe. Like it or not, it's a successful product for what it was designed to do.

When you read the negative and the positive; always consider the source. Look at the context they add to base their opinions on. Be careful accepting sweeping generalizations - either pro or con - as gospel truth. Look at the history of the reviewer, look at their track record and what they do, how they do it and decide if the data point provided adds value or subtracts credibility from the value of that data.

There are people on this forum and other forums that are so destructive with their negative framing and consistently dogging specific products, people that own them and companies that make them so that it fully undercuts their credibility entirely. The onus is on the reader to vet that credibility though; and given that everyone doesn't have the time or inclination to do so that can be an issue. Whenever you see 'camps' for any sort of 'this vs. that'; pop up your credibility radar and take some time vetting what is really going on. When one's agenda supersedes their credibility, take their opinion with a grain of salt.

When you read 'hype' as a descriptor though, I would hope your spider-sense is tingling. Other code words that make any opinion suspect are listed in my first sentence. I gig weekly and have done so for decades. I've been a live performer playing guitar since I was 14. I know what I like and I know what I am doing for my own purposes. When I do not know something, I do the research and consult with the people that do until I can understand what I needed to know.

Specific to the CLR - the box itself is the definition of anti-hype. The performance of it in live and studio settings is the closest I've ever found to accuracy and the absence of any hyped frequencies for less than $2500 for this application. The value for a powered CLR wedge versus an unpowered Meyer (which is still the king daddy of all boxes I've used, albeit for only a few bigger festival shows where they were provided by the sound company) is not hype.

IMHO, and having owned and run (gigged/studio) and also designed/programmed and built out rigs for hundreds of others using the Axe-FX (Standard/Ultra/II) in a direct-to-FOH rig paradigm spanning genre's from folk acoustic to chant rock to classic rock to P&W to metal and all points in between is that the CLR does the job, is very versatile, dependable and consistent. It's frequency response, noise floor and SPL level are excellent.

I have personally owned many of the powered monitors (and unpowered monitors) from JBL, EV, Mackie, Alto, QSC, FBT, Tannoy, Atomic, and reviewed, used, demoed and/or gigged MANY more. I've got firsthand experience with Matrix, EAW and many more. There are great products, good products, usable products and bad products. I've run conventional guitar cabs my whole life. I've run live sound, recorded, engineered, mastered music for over 20 years. I owned and ran a mastering house for 3 years professionally. I do not make it my practice to denigrate any product that I do not recommend, I just do not enter into those conversations by choice.

IMHO, I highly recommend the Atomic CLR. I own and use two of the Neo version of them by choice because they work. I can depend on them. They are very versatile.

It was pretty simple for me, I let my ears decide. I ordered both, one went back, one didn't.

I've enjoyed my CLR for months, through lots of gigs and rehearsals.

I can't comment on the CLR (yet) but the first half of this post regarding opinions, reviews, 'hype' etc., should be stickied. Excellent post Scott.

After what funny_polymath said, and having had a couple of discussions with him, it sold me on the CLRs. Just waiting for a time when I can order, which is only a couple of months away.

I'm curious though, is there a standard burn in time with the CLRs?

I can't comment on the CLR (yet) but the first half of this post regarding opinions, reviews, 'hype' etc., should be stickied. Excellent post Scott.

After what funny_polymath said, and having had a couple of discussions with him, it sold me on the CLRs. Just waiting for a time when I can order, which is only a couple of months away.

I'm curious though, is there a standard burn in time with the CLRs?

Zero burn-in. They are good from the word go.

I have bitten the 'hype' bullet, but because I trust the sources of the hype. I ordered two active CLR cabs last week. I owned two RCF NX12 SMAs that were fabulous, but I was interested in the wider dispersion pattern and anything else that the CLR's might have to offer. I didn't hurt that I also got a pretty good deal on the sale of my RCF's.

Add to that that the cardre of CLR users seems to be growing, and I thing that would make patches on the Axe-Change translate more transparently than they have in the past (perhaps).

Hi everybody!
Does the Atomic CLR come from Europe to EU customers (i live in Finland)? I'm thinking of putting my order in, but this question popped up in my mind. There would come some extra costs, if it comes from the US. Just want to be sure.

Just placed my order for CLR active Cab.

CLR active Cab 999,95$
VAT 199$
Shipping 33$

Thanks for the info!

Now, let the waiting game begin.

I don't have any Matrix equipment but Ive heard it sounds good.

I do have 2 CLR active wedges and I know they sound good. :mrgreen

I went with what I thought at the time (and I still do) was the majority of opinion on what just worked well and sounded the best right out of the shipping create without much fuss.

Is this really the official web page for the eu customers? On Buy Atomic Amps Reactor Series products in Europe, Germany, Netherlands, United Kingdom (UK), Spain, France, Australia, Italy, Japan, Sweden, and elsewhere. it says you need to drop them an email and i can't find that eushop-link on their facebook page either...just curios, as i would like to order as well soon.

Is this really the official web page for the eu customers? On Buy Atomic Amps Reactor Series products in Europe, Germany, Netherlands, United Kingdom (UK), Spain, France, Australia, Italy, Japan, Sweden, and elsewhere. it says you need to drop them an email and i can't find that eushop-link on their facebook page either...just curios, as i would like to order as well soon.
Hi Frozen. That is not an official page from Facebook or our website. It is a unused page that is not linked to by Atomic anywhere. We are shipping from inventory in the US and UK at the moment but supplies are low so we're still using the Reserve List. If you send an email to our sales email address I'll send you a link to our EU private web-store. Thanks.

Best,

Tom

Get one of each, and test them side-by-side for yourself.

They both offer an evaluation period of at least a week.

Keep the one that sounds best to you.

Back
Top Bottom