Why does this happen? Change amps and lose volume/tone

Wildwind

Experienced
I'll start with a good patch - make a simple amp change and lose nearly all my volume and tone. It sounds terrible and no amount of tweaking seems to set things right again.

This happens in AE and on the front panel, tried it with the USB connected and disconnected. Change the patch without saving and all is well - until you try changing amps again.

It's intermittent - I did amp swaps for hours yesterday without a problem, though I experienced something similar when trying to add an OD block.

I restarted the Axe and AE several times - the problem remains.

I've run into this before but never figured out why. This time I can't seem to make it go away. Everything is up to date and working perfectly otherwise.

Can anyone help?

It does it with a bunch of different amps, but not all. I've done everything I can think of, might reinstall the driver just for grins, will grab the latest from the website to be sure.

But stuff like this has happened on and off with other changes - IRs have done it as well. At one time (earlier releases of AE that were only sort of working with recent firmware), I'd change IRs and lose all sound. I'd find the level got dropped to -80. Bring the level back to 0 and that fixed it. I'm not finding anything like that this time. And this new AE has worked very well until just a few minutes ago - but since the front panel does the same thing, it has to be something else. I think.

The tone gets real "splatty" for lack of a better term, like the noise gate is turned on full blast. But beyond that, all the frequencies sound terrible. Highs are gone, but what's left is lousy. Does that make sense to anyone?

I have tried copying the patches to different locations - they sound fine until I try to change amps. Then I get the same exact thing.

Not sure how to do that, but will figure it out.

Reinstalled USB drivers, no change.

Okay, I think the file is attached.

Attachments

• Dumble ODS-100 for Cliff.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 1
You have the Overdrive and Master Volume at non-default settings. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. However, when you change amp types those two parameters get reset to default values. In your case they get reset to much lower values. Therefore you will lose a lot of gain and volume. Simply make a notes of the settings and set those parameters back to those settings.

Or save the new preset to a new location.. If you don`t save and switch to another preset and then back, it is still the same.

If you don't use X/Y on your AMP block for the preset, try using the X for your preset and Y for auditioning new amps so you don't wreck the preset.

Not wrecking the preset - I copy two or three versions of it elsewhere and work on the copies, keeping the first one for comparison.

Reactions: LVC
Back
Top Bottom