Why does it sound like this? SOLVED

shep

Inspired
The 1st line shows a 2 amp stereo rig, and the change in chord shows a change in stereo field - it moves toward the center. 2nd and 3rd lines has a weird rattle to it (recorded at low volume direct to pc). 3rd clip is NOT pinch harmonics, just single note legato - aliasing? 4th line shows single note shift of stereo field to center.. What is up with this? Please advise and thanks - Shep

Recorded into Presonus FS to RME 9632 to Sonar 8.5.3 using Jem VWH.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1870114/AxeFx%20anamolies.mp3

Re: Why does it sound like this?

The first thing is because you have one channel delayed ~20 ms which almost exactly equals a whole number of cycles of the G & D notes (and all their harmonics) of the 2nd chord. Play either of those notes and bend it and you'll hear it move toward the sides.

No idea on the other stuff. Have you listened with the noise gate disabled? It sounds like there's a high pitch noise at the end of those palm-muted notes.

Thanks for the reply. The patch was a factory patch (Marsha/Boogie), I didn't set the delay that way. Taking it out doesn't fix the stereo movement thing, though bypaqssing the enhancer (was set to 20.1 %) did. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I have removed the gate, and it changed very little other than a little amp hiss.

The rest sounds like aliasing? to me. Anyone know where I might start to figure this out? Thanks - Shep

shep said:
Thanks for the reply. The patch was a factory patch (Marsha/Boogie), I didn't set the delay that way. Taking it out doesn't fix the stereo movement thing, though bypaqssing the enhancer (was set to 20.1 %) did. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I have removed the gate, and it changed very little other than a little amp hiss.

The rest sounds like aliasing? to me. Anyone know where I might start to figure this out? Thanks - Shep

One of the things the enhancer does is delay one line of the signal a bit.

shep said:
The rest sounds like aliasing? to me.
Yep, that's what it is. Because I've never been able to create audible aliasing in the Axe-Fx in 3 years of ownership, I tend to suspect that it's being created elsewhere.

Anyone know where I might start to figure this out? Thanks - Shep
I'd try listening to the Axe-Fx through a different system - ideally an analog one - first. You'll then know where to look for the cause of the aliasing.

Finally got to the bottom of the 'aliasing'. For the 1st time in the 3 years I've had my system, I took the time to look at the sample rate on the Presonus. Funny, it's not where it could even be inadvertently changed - but it was at 48 instead of 44.1. Glad to know it was just the operator. Thanks for the help.

shep said:
Finally got to the bottom of the 'aliasing'. For the 1st time in the 3 years I've had my system, I took the time to look at the sample rate on the Presonus. Funny, it's not where it could even be inadvertently changed - but it was at 48 instead of 44.1. Glad to know it was just the operator. Thanks for the help.

But the Axe-Fx is fixed to operate at 48kHz using digital connections?

That is correct, but I'm not running digital. And I'm 44.1/24 in Sonar. 1/4" analog connections here.

I'm noticing the same aliasing on a few amp models, specifically the corncob and the citrus. This is using analog balanced out to my apogee ensemble. I can hear the same thing plugging headphones into the unbalanced output of the Axe as well. Is there some way to correct/minimize it?

Edit:
It's nowhere near as pronounced as shep's example but here is what I'm referring to (corncob) http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2770184/oscillation.mp3

Thanks,
Dave

supahd01 said:
Anyone hearing what I'm talking about in the clip I posted? Is that normal?
Nope, I'm not hearing it. Could be my laptop speakers aren't detailed enough but I'm not hearing it (could also be my ears of course!). Have you listened to it in more than one type of setup?

tgunn said:
supahd01 said:
Anyone hearing what I'm talking about in the clip I posted? Is that normal?
Nope, I'm not hearing it. Could be my laptop speakers aren't detailed enough but I'm not hearing it (could also be my ears of course!). Have you listened to it in more than one type of setup?

Yea I didn't hear it when I auditioned on my laptop either.. but via my monitors or my headphones I hear it. I listened to it monitoring through my apogee and plugged my 770's directly into the unbalanced outs on the Axe as well.

Edit: Let me also add that it's only apparent on very upper register notes, while bending in particular, but I hear it on the mentioned amp settings which for lead stuff would make them unusable... for recording anyway. The corncob moreso than any other that I've noticed so far and this is with default settings..

Here's a better example http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2770184/oscillation2.mp3

Dave

I just listened to it through my headphones (sennheiser HD 280's), run of the mill sound card (I'm at work), and did not hear it. Were you listening through the Apogee in both cases that you heard it?
Maybe it's a case of having digital devices not locked in sync. Are you using the Axe via the spdif out or analog out? Which device is the sync master etc?

I'm using the Axefx strictly analog via the balanced outs and the apogee is set to line level for the input. Do you hear it on the second sample I uploaded?

Dave

supahd01 said:
Here's a better example
There's definitely aliasing in that clip. I've never encountered it in any of my Axe-Fx presets over 3 years of ownership, so I'd say it is definitely not normal. I'll try to reproduce it on my Axe-Fx and let everyone know what I find.

supahd01 said:
I'm using the Axefx strictly analog via the balanced outs and the apogee is set to line level for the input. Do you hear it on the second sample I uploaded?

Dave
Yes, on this one I can clearly hear it. Haven't heard that on mine. Hope Jay has a solution.

Let me also add that turning the "Damp" up on the corncob seems to make the artifacts more noticeable, it seems to add gain so that may be expected.

Edit: here are my settings used for the second clip

PG1
Global off, Type corncob, drive 4.72, bass 4.13, mid 5.00, treb 5.39 BRT engaged

PG2
Pres .63, Depth 5.00, Damp 4.02, Sag 2.01, master 8.23, level -6.5

other pages default

Cab
PG1
mono hires, air 39.8, air freq 2047,

PG2
4x12v30, royer121, drive 7.8

PG3
level -2.5, bal 0.0, byp mode thru

Dave

supahd01 said:
I just finished checking out the "corncob" sim with one of my custom IRs. While it's not a sound I would ever voluntarily use, there is no aliasing at all. I did not see your parameter settings until after I did my experiment, and I never use the drive function in the cab block. It may be that this is pushing the harmonic content beyond the Nyquist frequency. You might try turning it off and resetting the amp block for the desired amount of drive.

Jay Mitchell said:
supahd01 said:
I just finished checking out the "corncob" sim with one of my custom IRs. While it's not a sound I would ever voluntarily use, there is no aliasing at all. I did not see your parameter settings until after I did my experiment, and I never use the drive function in the cab block. It may be that this is pushing the harmonic content beyond the Nyquist frequency. You might try turning it off and resetting the amp block for the desired amount of drive.

Thanks Jay, I'll try your suggestion. The more I mess with it the more it seems to be just this patch.. I have another preset using the corncob that doesn't have the same aliasing at all.

Dave

Aaaand mark another issue solved. It was the drive on the cab, I don't recall changing it but that was definitely it.

Thanks,
Dave

Back
Top Bottom