Why cant I get clean punchy Low end on any Fender style amp

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
Ive never been able to get a clear low end on any fender amp. Im trying to use the neck pickup on a strat to get a punchy blues tone but the low A and E string are always flubby sounding.

I try lowering the bass but then the tone is way too thin and sterile. This happens with pretty much any fender amp block.

My fender deluxe reverb and 65 amp tupelo tube amps dont have this problem at all. Clear and punchy all the time.

Any tips are appreciateed.

This actually helped a bit.
The Twin amps have rock-solid lows. Also, from what I remember, the Super Reverb and '59 Bassman stay pretty clean, especially combined with a 4x10 cab. Leave the master volume control at 10, don't turn up the input too much and you should hear major punch. Look at factory presets using the Twin for ideas.

PS - ignore the Super Reverb recommendation. The model was based on one that was set to breakup.

One thing I tried that helped a ton is I dropped the input trim to .70. Sounds great with that. It’s strange that single coils would have to be dropped that much to clean up the signal. My pickups aren’t overly hot. They are hand wound 50’s singles in a custom shop strat.

I actually had a real '59 Tweed Bassman with 4x10s in it for a while. JEEZ it was loud but it sounded like a Marshall. The loudness eventually made me get rid of it.
Same here - my first tube amp was a blonde Bassman head I got in the late 80s from a disco equipment shop for £25. (Those were the days!)

Kept it for years and made many multiples of the purchase price.

Thing was absolutely glorious - especially with a Marshall Guvn’r in the front. But soooooooo loud!

Guy I sold it to was gigging serious venues across Europe. Sold it for the same reason.

for blackface fenders you need volume, and drop the bass to like 2 or 3. It'll get you a nice low end punch if you have it up loud enough, but if you try adding bass it just truns to wool/flub. That piano-like bottom end comes from low bass on the amp tone control and volume. The right IR will really help as well.

for blackface fenders you need volume, and drop the bass to like 2 or 3. It'll get you a nice low end punch if you have it up loud enough, but if you try adding bass it just truns to wool/flub. That piano-like bottom end comes from low bass on the amp tone control and volume. The right IR will really help as well.
I start with the Blackface formula of volume at 6, bass at 2, mids at 3, and treble at 6, I think that’s it. Anyway, then I tweak from there.

And, y’all, check out Gary Cain on YouTube and his playing. Very nice!

And

Last edited:
It definitely has a LOT to do with the IR. Even in the videos from Gary he stated he uses 3rd party IR's. I wish he would share which he uses. it tough to find a suitable IR in a bank of 1000's

I wish he would share which he uses.
He did.

Tyler Grund's JBL IRs are great for Super REverb tones - you can find them here: http://www.tylergrund.com/axefx2/
Here's the preset - it uses Tyler Grund's Ultra Res E130 IR, which you'll need to download from here: http://www.tylergrund.com/axefx2/ and put in the Cab 1 slot (replace the Factory #222 cab). I've got my hi/low-cut settings on it already in the cab block. The second cab in there the 1x12 DLX IR I use sometimes, but usually it's just muted.

It definitely has a LOT to do with the IR. Even in the videos from Gary he stated he uses 3rd party IR's. I wish he would share which he uses. it tough to find a suitable IR in a bank of 1000's
I've shared it elsewhere but I use Tyler Grund's E130 IR which you can find on his website, and I also really like the Ownhammer Vibroverb 1x15 IRs. There are a few factory ones in the AXE that are good for that tone too - I just don't really care for the Super Reverb ones specifically.

Back
Top Bottom