Why arent there more presets available for the FX8?

Being somewhat new here and always perusing for new tones to play with, It seems like the FX8 is the Fractal bastard child when it comes to available presets other than the factory ones. I know there are a handful on the axechange but that's pretty much it. What gives?

I wondered the same thing a while back. I think it's because there are so many different amps people use with the FX8. What works for one won't necessarily work for another. Still I also would like to see more. Perhaps even just a block library. Also, there seems to be a lot less users of the FX8 as opposed to the Axe FX and/or AX8. That could be a misperception on my part but this forum is far less active than those two. /shrug

Mainly because a whole bunch of presets isn't necessary with the FX8. With an Axe-Fx, for instance, you might say, "I want a crunchy plexi preset, a clean Fender Twin preset, and a fat Dumble preset." But with the FX8, you provide the plexi, Fender and Dumble, and you dial them in to your own taste. The FX8 can't do that for you. Otherwise, it's all the same preset.

I think it's because there are so many different amps people use with the FX8. What works for one won't necessarily work for another.
Also this. A Drive setting that works for one person's amp probably won't be the best setting for your amp. The Axe-FX8 and AX8 can control which Amp and cab are used. The FX8 can't.

Last edited:
Mainly because a whole bunch of presets isn't necessary with the FX8. With an Axe-Fx, for instance, you might say, "I want a crunchy plexi preset, a clean Fender Twin preset, and a fat Dumble preset." But with the FX8, you provide the plexi, Fender and Dumble, and you dial them in to your own taste. The FX8 can't do that for you. Otherwise, it's all the same preset.
Thats kind of what I figured.

I wondered the same thing a while back. I think it's because there are so many different amps people use with the FX8. What works for one won't necessarily work for another. Still I also would like to see more. Perhaps even just a block library. Also, there seems to be a lot less users of the FX8 as opposed to the Axe FX and/or AX8. That could be a misconception on my part but this forum is far less active than those two. /shrug

Yup, not a whole lot of traffic here in general. An FX8 block library would a be great idea. Especially for those of us like me who struggle trying to import blocks. lol

An FX8 block library would a be great idea. Especially for those of us like me who struggle trying to import blocks. lol
There's already a block library. It can use blocks from the Axe and AX8 because so many of the effects are compatible across all three platforms.

There's already a block library. It can use blocks from the Axe and AX8 because so many of the effects are compatible across all three platforms.
This may be a stupid question and forgive my ignorance because Im fairly new to the fractal devices in general but I thought you needed to have an actual unit (axe / ax8) to open an editor to save or import the blocks of a preset into ones personal user library?

This may be a stupid question and forgive my ignorance because Im fairly new to the fractal devices in general but I thought you needed to have an actual unit (axe / ax8) to open an editor to save or import the blocks of a preset into ones personal user library?

I'm not sure (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but I think you can use FracTool to open presets and perhaps dig into, for example, an Axe FX preset and pull out individual blocks for use in the FX8 or AX8. I'm positive it does more but I think that kind of thing is possible with FracTool. As I wrote my previous post, I was thinking there might already be a block library. I think I've heard mention of it before, but I don't know any details (location, content, etc.).

I have seen fractool but haven't figured out how to use it yet. lol It doesn't seem as easy as the editors. A community library would be a great idea

I have seen fractool but haven't figured out how to use it yet. lol It doesn't seem as easy as the editors. A community library would be a great idea
FracTool is actually easier to use than it looks. The interface is so simple that you wind up looking for extra steps that just aren't needed.

For starters, open FracTool and drag a preset file onto the magnifying glass. You will see the preset's guts laid open before you.

Last edited:
I think because the FX8 is SO easy to use is the 1st part of this equation, then you add in the fact that each person is using a different amp & FX loop to create their presets.

Here's the 3rd part: I've created over 50+ different song based presets & only uploaded about 4 of them that I thought were really special (Block Wise). The others are all great, but more about getting the scenes correct, the FX correct, the delay BPM to match the original song & smaller tweaks.

It takes a bit of time to get these uploaded too........& after doing 4 or 5.....I just stopped. :( Oh.....& the 4 or 5 that I did upload have all changed now that I'm using a different tube amp.

I've got a couple really good new song based ones that I'll get to uploading soon. I think this place is slower because you're not dealing with Amp blocks & Cab Blocks on the FX8.......& there's less to talk about & or share. When I share a video, picture or tip here, it might be days before anyone replies....If anyone replies at all. That has slowed me down from posting or even checking in here daily. :oops:

X

Last edited:
I think because the FX8 is SO easy to use is the 1st part of this equation, then you add in the fact that each person is using a different amp & FX loop to create their presets.

Here's the 3rd part: I've created over 50+ different song based presets & only uploaded about 4 of them that I thought were really special (Block Wise). The others are all great, but more about getting the scenes correct, the FX correct, the delay BPM to match the original song & smaller tweaks.

It takes a bit of time to get these uploaded too........& after doing 4 or 5.....I just stopped. :( Oh.....& the 4 or 5 that I did upload have all changed now that I'm using a different tube amp.

I've got a couple really good new song based ones that I'll get to uploading soon. I think this place is slower because you're not dealing with Amp blocks & Cab Blocks on the FX8.......& there's less to talk about & or share. When I share a video, picture or tip here, it might be days before anyone replies....If anyone replies at all. That has slowed me down from posting or even checking in here daily. :oops:

X
I hear ya there man. All good points. I do find myself not monitoring this section as diligently for the same reasons but hopefully the traffic here picks up. But hey, Im always here to scoop up those presets haha. :)

I hear ya there man. All good points. I do find myself not monitoring this section as diligently for the same reasons but hopefully the traffic here picks up. But hey, Im always here to scoop up those presets haha. :)
Make sure you visit all the sections. There is good info for all and sometimes blks.. Axefx, AX8, Ultra, etc...

Make sure you visit all the sections. There is good info for all and sometimes blks.. Axefx, AX8, Ultra, etc...
I do spend a considerable amount of time in the other sections trying to get the ax8 up to speed too. The ultimate goal is to phase in the ax8 using the 4cm and being able to go live with using my atomica for my main tone and models for clean & some signature tones.
So far the struggle is real on that front trying to get unity so the atomica is as transparent with the ax8 as it is plugging straight in.

Back
Top Bottom