Whose tone do you want?

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
If you could dial in anyone's guitar tone, whose would it be?

I'll start:

Andy Timmons - clean and lead tones. I think Andy takes the best elements of Eric Johnson and makes them fit into more contexts. I love EJ tones but they only work well in specific scenarios. Seeing Andy live in an intimate setting at Vai Academy really showed me the bar for guitar tones.

Robben Ford - I love his lead tones from Talk to Your Daughter and Blue Line era.

Sonny Landreth - his solo sounds are amazing. If you've never listened to his instrumental album Elemental Journey, do it now!

Ariel Posen - a recent discovery for me. All his tones are great and full of character. Lead tones are outstanding. Headway and How Long are great examples of not only his great guitar but his writing and singing.

Joe Robinson - his tones are different from most and all of them are great: clean, edge of breakup, lead, acoustic. The Gemini Vol 1 and Vol 2 EPs are favorites. Excellent singer and songwriter, too.

Mark Lettieri - his clean sounds are probably my favorite these days and I also really dig his solo tones. Spark and Echo showcases a lot of great sounds.

Funny that I suck at slide but 2 of the guys I listed are primarily slide players.

2nd on the Ty Tabor and Ian Thornley tones, early years for the Ty Tabor! I have come close but without a Fender Elite to get the rest of the way it's pretty tough.

Still Chasing Boston sounds, again I have got close but still missing a little something.

Early Foreigner stuff! Mick Jones had some nice classic Plexi sounds that were different sounding. I got pretty close using the Dirty Shirley 2 sim and a basic Marshall style cab.

I like the Andy Timmons stuff also! I burned on the Resolution album pretty hard but really like what he came up with. I feel a lot of what he does is in his playing technique.

Hopefully one day from my fractal unit:
Ian Thornley and Ty Tabor
Damn... I forgot Ian - Totally agree!

I love early Ty Tabor stuff, too. Although unless I was playing Kings X, I'm not sure if I'd use it... But his rhythm tones in particular are very nice.

edit - removing Alex Lifeson, since, on second thought, his tone is somewhat obtainable for me in Axfx (minus the 335 which I don't have (and hands of course)) - close enough for me to happily noodle with my beloved early Rush songs (the easier ones to play lol). But the others are elusive or I don't try as I'm not sure where to start - I've spent a lot of time twiddling with Boston tones - sometimes I feel like I'm close, but when I come back later: shite compared to the real deal.

Last edited:
love this one also - of the ones I noted, I have no clue how to get anywhere close to this kind of jazz rocky, fusiony type tone (never mind even being able to play a bit of it, and like that) - heavily produced so lots prob going on after - be cool to hear the raw guitar tracks

Last edited:
Depending on the mood, the song, the occasion, the planets... Steve Rothery, David Gilmour, Ritchie Blackmore, Tony Iommi, Brian May, Steve Hackett, Roine Stolt, Jeff Beck, BB King, Van Halen, Hendrix, Vai... too many

Depending on the mood, the song, the occasion, the planets... Steve Rothery, David Gilmour, Ritchie Blackmore, Tony Iommi, Brian May, Steve Hackett, Roine Stolt, Jeff Beck, BB King, Van Halen, Hendrix, Vai... too many
Iommi’s most recent tone ?
You can tell it’s Tony but the tones are somewhat different over the years.
I really love what he has going on here.

Iommi’s most recent tone ?
You can tell it’s Tony but the tones are somewhat different over the years.
I really love what he has going on here.

All over the years his tone has always been a distinctive and powerful wall of sound that doesn't require keyboards or a second guitarist

Off-Topic: Vinny Appice is THE F***** MACHINE

Last edited:
Andy Timmons like a lot of people

And Richie Kotzen !
Pick or no pick era this guy has the best rock tone I’ve ever heard. Everything is rock, raw but so well balanced.
I still don’t know why this legend player does not get more requests on boards like this one.
I owned a Cornford Rk100 and it was the best amp ever.

These are my two gods. If I wasn’t lefty I would just play on their signature model.

Andy Timmons like a lot of people

And Richie Kotzen !
Pick or no pick era this guy has the best rock tone I’ve ever heard. Everything is rock, raw but so well balanced.
I still don’t know why this legend player does not get more requests on boards like this one.
I owned a Cornford Rk100 and it was the best amp ever.

These are my two gods. If I wasn’t lefty I would just play on their signature model.
Isn't Richie Kotzen they guy who played in Poison for a while and shagged the drummers wife?

I haven't paid much attention to him since then but funny you mention he's that Cornford. Is that the fractal model Cornfed? That thing sounds bloddy amazing, I tried it just yesterday

Back
Top Bottom