Who's the best guitar player of all time to you and why?

For me it's Slash, I'm not saying he's the best guitarist ever but his work on AFD is the reason I wanted to learn guitar. I actually taught myself using my mates copy of the AFD tab book :)

Reactions: Evz
Got to be Satch for me. Killer phrasing and tone. He was the reason I stopped playing Hank Marvin and Jean-Michele Jarre after only 3 months of playing guitar and got into the stuff I'm into now. Heck, if it wasn't for Satch, I wouldn't even be here talking to you fine folks!

Tommy Emmanuel - that guy always inspires me to play - and while I know I will never be any close to his level, I am not depressed by that. I can't say that about any other player. It is not their fault, but somehow only Tommy makes me want to play guitar instead of ditching it.

Tommy rules. I never wanted to say I have a hero, but I do. :)

So many great guitarists. Personal fav, probably Bill Frisell. He can conjure a magic world with his playing and is one of the most unassuming and connected musicians I've ever heard. Makes great CDs and is a fantastic composer, but for guitar playing, seeing him live is the way to go, preferably with a trio or quartet.

For living rock, Jeff Beck. Nobody of his generation is remotely as expressive or grew the way he did.
For dead rock, Jimi Hendrix completely redefined what electric guitar could be. Duane Allman...for focus and bluesy intensity and making the WHOLE band the thing.

Others Django, Wes Montgomery, Jim Hall, John Scofield, John Abercrombie, Barney Kessel
Blues...all Kings, Otis Rush, Buddy Guy, Robben Ford
Rootsy Derek Trucks, Snooks Eaglin (most under-known and underrated blues/roots dude during his lifetime)
Solo Lenny Breau, Phil DeGruy

Frank Marino.

My friends and I went to the concert just to see UFO open for Mahogany Rush. Michael Schenker (another of my faves) pulled one of his many disappearing acts so UFO canceled. None of us had ever heard of Frank before that night. We walked out slack jawed after the show. The guy TOTALLY blew us away.

Mick Mars, Fast Eddie Clark, Kerry King (solos of course), and CC Deville , and malcom youngs solos; ok ok I jest

I can't believe after 6 pages nobody said Michael Landau, he keeps Hendrix's soul alive. And he always plays for the song, not for the show.

So do I... good to see some love for Kimock and Rothery on here ;-)

Steve Howe, Page, Gilmour, Carlton, Jake Cinninger, Jimmy Herring, Warren Haynes, Roine Stolt, EVH, Trey Anastasio, McLaughlin, Edge, Fripp, Jerry Garcia, John Scofield, Pete Townshend, Michael Hedges, Kimock, Bill Nelson, Carlos, Gambale, Dave Navarro, Steven Wilson, Peter Buck, Mike Campbell, Trevor Rabin...

(it all starts and ends with Yes! ;-)

Throw Frampton in there and we will get along just fine.:lol

EVH changed the guitar scene more than most all of the others combined. as far as best and greatest, there's too many to list because dozens that I've heard that poured their passion and time into the instrument can't be touched in their own arena. :)

Eddie Van Halen. Easily

I can't think of another guitar player who sounded so unique.

There have been other great guitar players for sure, but who sounded even remotely like Eddie before Eddie.

Back
Top Bottom