Whoa!? Monitor differences.

Just upgraded to Focal Alpha 80s about a month ago, and they are awesomesauce. The high end Focals are ridicuspensive, but these are relatively affordable. I had M-Audio BX5As before (still have them for my alternate room) and they were decent, but they don't come close to the Focals. I can't make them break a sweat without violating city ordinances (and by city ordinances I mean my wife).

I have some stuff M-Audio ... It's not really difficult to make better [emoji6]
All of theme are collecting dusk somewhere between my house and my band rehersal room

Good choice to upgrade ... An Awespme and "sensitive" tool like our beloved Axe deserves same quality to really shine !!

I know everyone's likes are different but which one should i buy, or even which one i shouldn't?

Equator D5 / Jbl Lsr305 / Mackie Mr6 Mk3

I know everyone's likes are different but which one should i buy, or even which one i shouldn't?

It really comes down to personal preference. I've proved that the axe can sound great on dam near any setup, provided one sits down and tunes thier patches to said system.

The D5 and Lsr305 are good choices either ... I don't know the Mackie

If you can try somewhere better ... But don't worry they are good 5" monitors , the "perfect solution" for home monitoring without the outrageous power of a 8"Cone Monitors

Thanks a lot for the answers, i listened to the 'Studio Monitor Comparison' and JBL Lsr 305 seems to be accurate and i think it would be enough to play guitar and check mixes in my room at home..

Two questions for you guys:

- Do you use your monitors as your computer monitors with the Axe hooked up via USB or are you just running them out of the back of the Axe?

- What would you guys say are the best monitors in the "cheap" category, meaning around $400 for the pair or less?

Two questions for you guys:

- Do you use your monitors as your computer monitors with the Axe hooked up via USB or are you just running them out of the back of the Axe?

- What would you guys say are the best monitors in the "cheap" category, meaning around $400 for the pair or less?

JBL Lsr305 ... IMHO

Axe -> Steinberg UR44 -> Event 20/20 and Pc win7
I don't like to use the Axe as a Soundcard ... I prefer to let it work flawlessy without be stressed in CpU etc... I loose the Reamp thing but no drama here :)

Reviving this thread for a question.....

Which version of the Event 20/20 are folks using?
Passive? Active? V1? V2? Bas? V3?

I did a bunch of A/B'ing and found the same thing with the KRK's. I don't get what people see in them.

I did a bunch of A/B'ing and found the same thing with the KRK's. I don't get what people see in them.
I think people get into KRKs for two reasons: they're inexpensive, and they haven't listened to anything better.

I used to use a pair of KRK Rokit 5's. I figured they were good enough to get by for practice. But I got tired of that woofy, undefined mid-bass. I got tired of the lack of bottom end. I got tired of dialing in tones that were shrill when i played out. I got tired of not having quite enough power to really open things up. And I got tired of listening to recorded music, trying to pick out guitar parts that were smeared in with the rest of the midrange.

So I bought a pair of Event ASP8's. They're so much better—like immediately noticeable better.

Slightly off topic: The local Guitar Center is a horrendous place to evaluate monitors. They've got 'em lined up in two rows, one above the other. They're backed up completely against the wall. And there's a two-foot-deep shelf mounted just above the top row of monitors. You hear the resulting tunnel more than you hear the speakers.

Last edited:
It's worth bearing in mind that having a set of harsh monitors is a good thing. If you can make a mix sound good on an old set of NS10's then they should sound good on all speakers, provided you have a more neutral set to troubleshoot problem areas that the harsh monitors will not represent.

Yeah, KRK's are not the best choice if you want accuracy... the hyped mids cause you to roll too much mids out of your tones/ mixes, and sound thin and weak on other playback systems.

If your budget is < $500, pick up a used pair of Mackie HR824's... they're the closest thing to Genelec's I've heard, and sound great.

Yeah, KRK's are not the best choice if you want accuracy... the hyped mids cause you to roll too much mids out of your tones/ mixes, and sound thin and weak on other playback systems.

If your budget is < $500, pick up a used pair of Mackie HR824's... they're the closest thing to Genelec's I've heard, and sound great.

imo, those Mackies have a very different character vs. Genelec, but they do sound good. I had 824 mk1's for a decade, now Genelec G4. I'd still have the Mackies if they weren't so big!

UAD Apollo and Opal's coming soon. And all my easy listening with lossless music will bring the hi-fi nerds on their knees.

Back
Top Bottom