Who uses Proximity in the Cab block and why?

unix-guy

Master of RTFM

I've been doing a little playing around with it, not for the bass in the lower frequencies but rather that it seems to add a little "punch" to the thinner strings.

I'm not really sure if I like it yet but thought I'd raise the issue.

Is this already "baked in" to some degree in modern IRs?

I've been doing a little playing around with it, not for the bass in the lower frequencies but rather that it seems to add a little "punch" to the thinner strings.

I use it just to fine tune the feel - used gently it just adds a little weight without adding boom.

Increases the low freqs/ bass as you move a mic closer , proximity just emulates that. the little punch you feel on the thinner strings is also a result of this.
All irs are captured at a certain mic distance. this setting however mainly allows you to simulate the mic being closer than it was actually for a given ir.
You can mess with the proximity frequency too to play around with this, in the room page.
Just use rta before and after changing this setting and note the subtle changes.

I use it take the edge off bright IRs. It is sort of like a master hi cut control. I like it better than the depth control in the amp block. I’m not at my unit but seem to recall it uses some cpu when turned up.

I will use it only if I can’t get the bass content I want out of the chosen factory IR, or the amp block bass tone control or depth, or “thump.” Then I will go for it. It’s rare that I use it but am glad it is there when ya need it. Some IRs don’t have all the bottom end you want from them - it’s perfect for fixing that.

Use with precautions...can easily make you walk on the bass players' playground and on FOH may nerve sound engineers if you push it over 5. I like it a lot for fattening up a bit overall guitar sound and bring in some 'wood' but never more than between 1-2.

I use it with the proximity frequency control. My MO is to turn up the proximity level too much, then dial in the frequency until I get just the right low end to balance perfectly with my often extreme smoothing; next, I start dialing back the proximity level until it’s never overwhelming. This way I have the perfect frequency to add oomph to the right notes, but it never overtakes the tone. This is definitely a Brylcreem parameter; it’s very easy to go to far with it, but what it adds really is very powerful.

Last edited:

I much prefer the speaker thump in the AMP block for thickening the higher strings.

I wish there was an "anti-proximity" control. I'm always needing to cut bass, not add it.
Use the Low Cut in the cab block at 150Hz. And the lo cut in the amp block. Or lower depth on amp (if any) model. Or use different IRs!

I cut both at the individual IR level AND the overall cab block. You do not anything under 100Hz generally.

I wish there was an "anti-proximity" control. I'm always needing to cut bass, not add it.

Try that LT TV Mix 7 IR. Should be included with the blocks zip that Leon Todd just put out, or on the Axechange. I use it a lot and it’s bright.

I use it with the proximity frequency control. My MO is to turn to the proximity level too much, then dial in the frequency until I get just the right low end to balance perfectly with my often extreme smoothing; next, I start dialing back the proximity level until it’s never overwhelming. This way I have the perfect frequency to add oomph to the right notes, but it never overtake the tone. This is definitely a Brylcreem parameter; it’s very easy to go to far with it, but what it adds really is very powerful.
Extreme smoothing lover here also :sweatsmile:

Use the Low Cut in the cab block at 150Hz. And the lo cut in the amp block. Or lower depth on amp (if any) model. Or use different IRs!

I cut both at the individual IR level AND the overall cab block. You do not anything under 100Hz generally.

Thanks. I use low cuts regularly. I use a para eq block before the amp block to control gain mush, and after the cab block to tailor the amount of bass in the overall sound. I use the low cut in the cab block as well. One thing I like to do is set the filter order to -6, and set the frequency a bit higher than you would using a higher order filter. I run anywhere from flat to 200Hz or more depending on the amp model, which IR I'm using, and what I'm looking for.

I was joking with my comment about the proximity control, I sometimes turn down the LF resonance of the the speaker impedance on the amp speaker page to achieve something similar.

I've auditioned every IR in the Axe III, numerous times, and have IR packs from several vendors. I have recently bought a new IR package that I really like, it requires much less bass cut than others I've used in the past.

Last edited:
I am for when I need more of that "thump" below 250Hz that you get when you close mic a real guitar cab. Having a sub in your setup makes the proximity control stand out a bit more FWIW.

I tried to find Cliff's thread for replacing the cab with an eq block to simulate AITR. The low end was hyped a little at 125Hz.
That's where my tuning for proximity came from.
I am using low cut in the cab block to keep out the sub stuff though. A little proximity goes a long way.

Back
Top Bottom