Who use always the same IR in every preset?

I'm a one IR guy as well. I fool around with other IR's and Dyna-Cabs sometimes, but I've pretty much stuck to this single IR since it was available:

Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 14.21.18.png

Yep. Legacy cab German boutique is my go-to.
Every amp model with this cab sounds almost like playing in the room with a real cab.
I can´t stand thin sounding IR´s for jamming.

Live one, or two mixed IR's (or external Cab/Mic/Room Mic Sims), studio any number of IR's to match the various amp models (or external Cab/Mic/Room Mic Sims etc).

Currently using the UA OX Stomp with the FM3 to extend it's capabilities, sounds great!

Yes, I use the same IRs on everything: two different mic types on the same speaker type. Anything else would introduce too many variables.

As an example a Fender Twin through a Marshall 4X12 sounds completely different than a Fender Twin through a Twin cab, so I don't see any value in using one IR or IR mix of a single cab for all amps, UNLESS, it's for live use where it's a lot more cohesive for FOH?

Amp designers voiced their amps for their cab and speaker choices, so if not playing live by all means use cabs similar to what the designer used to start when desiring the sound of a particular amp, and then of course change it up as desired as there are no rules, i.e. "if it sounds good, it is good".

Me... Currently that's a custom blend of a G12H30 and a G12M25 from the (first) York Audio MTCH pack.

Over my time using IRs with Fractal, I've used maybe 5 IRs... And whatever I'm using gets used in all presets.

I occasionally like to explore looking for others. If I find something I like better then I'll switch.
Same 🙂
YA G12H30/ G12M25 panned hard L/R

I knew you had excellent taste 🍷

I've been using the mad_oak_basketweave_r121 for every single guitar amp, since forever.

I still haven't found a "better" one for my tastes.
How do you set low cuts? If I remember well this ir sound huge but is really bassy and dark.

Maybe I’m wrong though, have to check again

I used the PEQ as a starting point but definitely tweaked the low and hi cut (100/5000) in the cabinets and also definitely boosted around 2k to make the guitar cut a little more live. But thats preferential.
Why PEQ and not the filter in the cab block?

This kind of stuff makes me smile! I love decision makers! Its like an engineer having a massive mic locker but not knowing how to get great sounds out of 1 mic, or having a plug in folder with 200 Eq's and compressors, when you only need 2 maybe 3.. lol

that being said, TV MIX 7 for most things, and YA for a couple specific tones

It's definitely a great idea to start with an IR you know really well when trying out something new, but if you get used to making sweeping judgements and only stick with things you think are safe, your progression is gonna suffer. Tons of the tones we all consider incredible actually sound fairly gross in isolation.

Friendly advice to be extremely wary of what you see on TV, and the sexiness of huge tones out-of-context.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom