Who sold a Bogner Ecstasy amp for Axe Fx II?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
This is one amp I've been jonsing for after using the Axe Fx II for 7 years. Love to hear those that has it and sold for Axe Fx II.

Recently tried a Bogner Shiva.... Liked the Axe Fx II better!

I did. Sold my 25th Ann. Ecstasy, pedalboard, 19" rack.

Loved my rig, but it was a bitch to carry and always be busy rewiring the board and rack etc.
Struggled with the Euro models in the Axe-Fx at first (Ultra and Axe-Fx II), but these days they are excellent.
I don't miss my Ecstasy.

Recently tried a Bogner Shiva.... Liked the Axe Fx II better!

Really? I used to have one and liked the real amp better, but it could be because I had the EL34 version (the Axe-Fx version is based on a 6L6 model).

I've thought about it a few times but I still have my Ecstasy Classic just can't seem to shake it great amp.

I did.... but really didn't want to...... 20th anniversary all mods ...still have my Duende and a Fryette 50/50

Had an Ecstacy Classic, the last amp I owned ... sold it after seeing Scott Peterson also was a Bogner man. Never looked back.

I'm a bogner guy with a Bogner endorsement. They loan me amps from the main shop in LA when needed. I use the axe fx on pretty much all my live gigs. The bogners stay in the studio and at home.

I have: Bogner shiva 20th with el34s
Bogner shiva combo with el34s

Axe fx covers the tones very well. Only thing not modeled is the excursion knobs and the mode switches which I did some tweaks to compensate for.

I'm a bogner guy with a Bogner endorsement. They loan me amps from the main shop in LA when needed. I use the axe fx on pretty much all my live gigs. The bogners stay in the studio and at home.

I have: Bogner shiva 20th with el34s
Bogner shiva combo with el34s

Axe fx covers the tones very well. Only thing not modeled is the excursion knobs and the mode switches which I did some tweaks to compensate for.

Excursion = Depth. Manufacturers like to give this control fancy names (Excursion, Whomp, Resonance, etc., etc.) but it's just a Depth control.

still have my Bogner Ecstasy head and cab. bought it around 1999. sold a Mesa Boogie TriAxis and Stereo 295 power amp to fund it. regret much selling the 295. the Ecstasy is a beast and very feature laden- great to turn up and give all a haircut but tuff to get a good dialed back tone.
the 13 ply birch cab kicks all ass w/ its tight bottom end and eats a Marshall cab alive

I recently bought a used Bogner Alchemist 1x12 and was really impressed with the clean channel and the drive channel too. The drive channel was a little compressed, but both sounded great at low volumes. So I thought I'd buy a used Bogner Shiva 2x12 and then be in hog heaven. Not enough gain on drive and really needs to be cranked to sound full. So ecstasy is probably a better option. But then in this whole thing I fell back in love with my axe fx II. Did this 6 years ago with a Mesa Road king. Moral of story is, never sell your axe! Buy a tube amp yes, but the Axe is too amazing.

I've actually got both; a Bogner XTC half-stack, and an Axe-ii.. thought about selling the XTC but couldn't do it. It's too good an amp to do that. The EURO patches within the Axe-ii are pretty good, but like everyone says, the air that gets pushed via a 'real amp/cab' cannot really be emulated or simulated by an Axe rig (not to me anyway.. or not yet anyway). But then again, why have only one really good amp, when you can have hundreds, right?! Without getting into a long-winded answer, or debate rather, I guess it depends on what other gear you get with your Axe-ii rig. Active/passive speakers, FRFR, power amp etc etc? If you did go down the Axe-ii path, personally, I'd get a passive speaker set-up (or just keep your existing guitar cab) and get a decent power amp to push, or drive it.

If you're asking whether you should sell the XTC to fund the Axe-ii, I'd personally say no, don't do it. The XTC is the sorta amp that is depicted possibly at the top of the list as one of only handful of holy grail amps.. The Axe-ii, seem to be more and more readily available.. Besides, my XTC rig is too cool to part ways with.. :mrgreen

My 2x worth :ugeek

Another one who sold an Ecstasy rig to fund an Axe-FX (standard at the time, before the AFX II was out). No regrets.

The whole "amp/cab pushing air" thing is a bit of a red herring. Comparing Axe-FX direct into monitors to an amp in the room isn't a fair comparison. You should be comparing Axe-FX direct to an amp miked up in a sound isolated room feeding the same monitors... OR an Axe-FX going into the same tube power section and cab. Otherwise, it's apples to oranges, yaknow?

Didn't sell mine specifically to pick up the Axe, but I must say, it's a great representation of the amp. Fat and smooth with great sustain.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom