Who made you start playing guitar?

A local music store in the mall was going out of business and a friend was going to buy a guitar. Did I want to go? Ended up with a Hondo II Professional LP copy. That was about the time I was transitioning from soft rock to Boston, VH, etc. I think it was a year or so later I played in the local battle of the bands. So, for me it was pretty much completely circumstantial; unintended but it was my destiny if you believe in such a thing.

This is crazy!! My second guitar was purchased at music store in a mall that was going out of business and the guitar was a Hondo II Professional Fender Lead copy. Black guitar, maple neck, one humbucker, but hard tail :cry From the sounds of it, maybe around the same time? 1983?

Anyway, VH 1 did it for me, but I was late to the party, '82-'83. I really took off and became obsessed with guitar using the guitar described above. I slowed down the LP from 33 to 16 and tried to learn VH 1 note for note. I did the same with "Thriller" and "Beat It." Anything with Ed on it. In 1986 I picked up a Marshall Artist 3203 head. If I understood correctly, it was a hybrid tube/ss head. 30W, 2 channels, one being high gain, and REVERB!! With the high gain channel and the reverb cranked, it was VH 1 to my ears. :lol

+1 to socal, that just opened the floodgates for me. Ironic that I can't stand any of the KISS guys now. Still can't deny the influence.

In 1998 I heard 'Time of Your Life (Good Riddance)"

Stopped listening to gangsta rap and listened to rock: Third Eye Blind, Semisonic, Fastball, Green Day.

Got an electric guitar for christmas (after I already learned how to play tab and greenday songs on piano because I really wanted to learn- and played piano since I was 4)
Already tought myself how to play it a month before I got it- from a guitarone magazine (with mark tremonti on the cover)

Got the guitar and learned the star spangled banner the first day I got it

then Greenday turned into Nirvana, then Metallica, then Satriani, then Vai....

From the first day I touched a guitar to playing/working with /jamming with Vai in May 2007 was 8 years

For me:
Was back in 76 and was just entering Junior High, one of the classes I was shoved into was guitar.
After day one I could not get enough, a few months later my parents got me a no-name acoustic for Christmas.

Which is funny for what it is, it is a dam decent guitar! No buzzing decent action, and after all these years the neck is still straight and the bridge shows no signs of lifting.

Anyway- After that I got into the Beatles, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin.
I hated Kiss however although I kind of like the songs now.
I think is was more having them shoved down my throat that they were the best players ever.
And knowing better, not saying my favorites were the best either.
The Kiss fans around me at the time were single minded assholes, so I kind of grew a resentment for the band (Hey I was 13)
First Guitar- Ta-Daaaa

John

Last edited:
my beginnings were fairly nondescript..
a school friend of mine had an acoustic and got me started on a few chords.
after badgering my mom into letting me get my first acoustic, the first song i learnt was the young ones by cliff richard.
i soon got bored with all the strumming and left the guitar alone until a couple of years later another friend introduced me to the world of the electric guitar oriented music.
the first tune that captivated me was layla, specifically the outro, before the piano coda.
for quite a while i miscredited the wailing guitar to clapton, who sealed the deal for me that that's the instrument i want to pick up.
so it was clapton that got me into electric guitar but in reality, my interest was sparked by duane allman.

I've spent a lifetime playing keyboards, but it was listening to Steve Howe and Todd Rundgren play guitar that made me want to pick it up. I'm loving it; it touches parts of my brain that the keys can't reach.

I picked up a Marshall Artist 3203 head. If I understood correctly, it was a hybrid tube/ss head. 30W, 2 channels, one being high gain, and REVERB!! With the high gain channel and the reverb cranked, it was VH 1 to my ears. :lol

A friend had one of these, and it sounded GREAT. Oddly one of the best sounding reverbs out there as well.

A friend had one of these, and it sounded GREAT. Oddly one of the best sounding reverbs out there as well.

Exactly!! I was senior in high school and had my first band. The guys called me " Reverb King" because it was on 10 all the time. But it was a great spring reverb.

EVH. I was probably around 5 or 6 when I first saw the hot for teacher video. I remember how excited my dad would get when the solo would come around. remember it like yesterday!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

James Hetfield, Kirk Hammett and Slash. When I started playing more seriously and took lessons my teacher made me appreciate Jimi Hendrix. Many years later I added Dave Gilmour to my favorite players.

Back
Top Bottom