Who made you start playing guitar?

electronpirate

Axe-Master
This is always of interest to me. (Dating myself content...)

My story:

Coming from a musical background (my mother and father met in an off-broadway version of 'West Side Story' (he a Shark, she the moll of the lead Jet ha!), I grew up listening to showtunes and music in general. (Yeah, I still love Neil Diamond...don't judge.)

There were 2 moments where I decided 'I'm going to do this' when it came to guitar.

One, my parents took me to a show at the Paulo Soleri in Santa Fe (small outdoor amplitheater), where John Denver was playing. At that time, I had graduated in my listening to Deep Purple, with 'Machine Head' on constant rotation. I was a bit scornful in my youth, thinking 'I'll be bored'. Wrong in every way. John Denver TOOK OVER that crowd with just him and his 12 string. He told a story with every song, you could have heard a pin drop as people could not wait to hear what he had to say or sing (the only other 2 people I've seen who've been able to do that is Bono, and Springsteen.) For 2 hours, just him and his guitar, I watched someone take an audience on a journey with him. I was incredibly impressed. He was one of the last of the 'folky' types in the realm of Chapin, Guthrie, Croce, etc (David Wilcox can do the same thing, but somehow it's not the same.)

Two: Not long after, I went to a double bill of Foreigner and Styx. In my Tequila and 'contact high from THC', Foreigner was touching the bases...nothing to report. Styx took the stage, and Tommy Shaw ripped things apart from second one. He dealt off mindlessly fast riffs while scooting side to side on the stage. I suspect he was pretty new in the band, and had something to prove (Grand Illusion tour). It's like there was zero boundaries in between him and his guitar; one perpetual motion machine only intent on knocking faces off heads. He looked comically small with his Les Paul White Custom slung low, but to my ears, he didn't miss a thing.

After that, seeing 2 diametrically opposed styles of music, that was something I WANTED. If nothing else, I would live that life even if it would not be my mainstay. Truth to tell, I should have taken that leap (I have the talent, but a problematic brain that makes quite a bit more money running zero's and one's through computers...goldy handcuffs,) but in the end we end up where we're supposed to be. I started as soon as I could afford an acoustic, spent 6 months spending every waking possible hour playing the Eagles Greatest Hits, and anything off of whatever records were lying around, and hit a point where I 'got it'. A year later I was playing in bands filling in for whatever was needed...bass, piano (hey, I cheated and played the guitar chords on the piano...), rhythm guitar, some lead, and most lead vocals.

That was my start. Here I am, years later, and those early memories are why I trudge downstairs as often as I can to fire up the guitar, close my eyes, and find it's 4 hours later...

What's yours?

R

The soundtrack theme from Miami Vice. ;-) No joke. I thought it was an electric guitar in the solo....years later I heard it was Jan Hammer with a synthesizer...dammit...;-)...Hey...I was a kid!

And the fact that I was Queen-Fan as long as I can think...

My best friend did not have time to play with me on Thursdays because he had guitar lessons and I found out that I did not have to play recorder in school if I did guitar. I had guitar lessons on Mondays, but I never had to play recorder again :)

Jens

Interesting thread. I count myself as someone who likes to know others inspirational source.

I myself grew up in a family that had nothing to do with music. Grew up in north Africa and didn't had any interest in music. I came as a 15y Old Teenager to Germany. In Tunisia I had a total of 1-2 hours music in school and the only thing I knew was Do Re Mi Fa Sol La Si :lol Here in Germany I was surprised cause everyone in the class was able to kinda play an instrument. I failed so much in the music theory class cause it was like Chinese for me. Going to a 2 week school trip 2 guys from the class took their guitars along. That was my first encounter with a guitar. I was fascinated but was really shy at that time to ask if I could pick up that guitar. So going home I told my parents the story and that I want to play guitar. They gave me a guitar at my 16th birthday and it was like a whole new world for me. I discovered new music that I never heard and became really obsessed, playing 5-8 hours a day the first years. Discovered Metallica and Kirk Hammett and that gave me the drive to get better.
Fun Fact: After finishing school the guy that inspired me at the trip called me one day, and asked to hang out and jam a little. We became best friends, founded our band and since then we inspire each other till today. :D

It's kind of embarassing, really, but I watched an Anime called "Beck" (I guess in the US it was released as "mongolian chop squad") about 8 years ago and thought to myself "hey, you know what? I kind of want to learn guitar now...". And that's what I did.

Now I'm playing in a progrock band, writing my own songs and being a major forum troll.
And I'm a good enough guitar player to recognize that I am a shitty guitar player and typical weekend warrior.

No regrets!

PS: If anyone is into Anime, I recommend watching that show, especially if you are into rage-against-the-machine. It's pretty decent, though the first episodes are not as good as the later ones. Detroit Metal City is also awesome.

Without drawing it out and explaining the hows, whys etc... Elvis (Jailhouse Rock), Johnny Cash (numerous songs), Deep Purple (Smoke on the Water... "A" typical), Kiss (Rock and Roll All Night/ Detroit Rock City). Those were the initial influences that gave me, "the itch". What shoved me over the threshold to start scratching , "the itch" was V/H's first album, Boston (Don't Look Back), Triumph's rendition of "Rocky Mountain Way", Rush (The Overture/ 2112) and Ted Nugent's "Wango Tango".

A local music store in the mall was going out of business and a friend was going to buy a guitar. Did I want to go? Ended up with a Hondo II Professional LP copy. That was about the time I was transitioning from soft rock to Boston, VH, etc. I think it was a year or so later I played in the local battle of the bands. So, for me it was pretty much completely circumstantial; unintended but it was my destiny if you believe in such a thing.

I started at age 5 because of KISS, but my parents bought me an acoustic and the teacher refused to teach me songs I wanted to learn, so I quit.

I started again when Rebel Yell came out, I couldn't believe the things I was hearing the guitar doing.

the teacher refused to teach me songs I wanted to learn, so I quit.

Wow, that's a terrible teacher. I teach my students any piece of music they want to learn. Apart from making it more interesting for them it keeps my ear in shape transcribing all the time and regularly exposes me to new music I wouldn't hear otherwise. I can't imagine a universe where that's not a win for everyone involved.

Glad that teacher didn't put you off playing for life!

I'm with Yek- it was for the girls.

I was a horn player, and one day walked into a music store to buy some valve oil. As I was looking over the new mouthpieces in the glass counter I happened to look up and see a cherry SG copy (a Kay) hanging on the wall over the case. I looked back down at the horn accessories, then back up at the guitar several times. A light bulb went off in my head and the thought was all encompassing- I'd never get any girls with the horns, but with THAT thing..."

Went home and begged, borrowed and stole (I come from an incredibly poor area, literally a ghetto) to be able to get the Kay along with a shitty little Kay amp. Spent every waking moment playing that thing with it's strings a mile off the fretboard until my fingers literally bled. And loved every minute of it.

It's not like guitars were a new thing or unknown to me (my sister was a hippy and a Hendrix freak (she even saw him live), and I was well versed in Jimi, the Beatles, Vanilla Fudge, Airplane, etc), I just had never considered the notion of "going rock". Had a career in the symphony all lined up for me by my mentor, man did I disappoint that cat. :)

Huey Lewis drew me to music, James Hetfield has always been my guitar hero since I started playing. In addition I've really liked Billy Corgan's playing and Billie Joe from Green Day, those guys kept me playing through high school as I moved away from a metal only style.

Last edited:
I was always drawn to guitar centric music even before I realized it. The people that inspired me to try to play rather than just listen were initially Angus Young because his playing while great, still seemed mortal and achievable to me. When I showed interest my parents got my brother to pick me up a guitar for me. They probably gave him a hundred bucks and he grabbed a pawnshop no-name $25 strat/jaguar hybrid and $75 worth of vodka and beer for himself.

The main person that made me actually go out and buy a good guitar as soon as I heard him, was Randy Rhoads. Unlike Angus, the stuff he played didn't seem possible for me to achieve so I tried to just pick up what bits and pieces I could. 35 years later I can play a bit more of his stuff, but parts still remain out of reach. I think I could get there if I really concentrated and diligently practiced though!

My brother played bass in bands so that also probably had some kind of influence as well, while still being different.

My favorite player since about 1986 until now is Gary Moore. I'm still sad we won't be getting any new music from him. :(

Back
Top Bottom