Who is using/has used a 10" monitor/powered speaker onstage with a band?

tallcoolone

Inspired
Title pretty much sums it up--I'm in a pretty loud rock band and I love the 10" form factor. QSC K10 and the Yamaha DXR10 in particular. I plan on trying them out but as we all know it's really tough to tell anything about stage gear until you are on stage at volume. Who is using these live--even better, who is using just one of these live onstage with a loud band/drummer?

I used FBT verve 8ma which is 8". Never had a problem playing with all kinds of bands. It is lound and full sounding. I just got lazy and just use whatever venues have for monitoring, so i don't have to drag my own monitor to gigs.

Qsc k10...is excellent... But fan is noisy... Well that won't matter on the stage or that kinda volume.

Though I am a basement only player..

I've been using a QSC K10 for 3 years. It gets plenty loud. It can be a bit harsh sounding so, I put gaffer's tape over the horn. The store I work at
also sells Yamaha PA and we have had the DXR10 and 12 in stock. In comparison to the QSC, the Yamaha speakers are smoother in the high end and are
$100 cheaper than the QSC.

I've been using a QSC K10 for 3 years. It gets plenty loud. It can be a bit harsh sounding so, I put gaffer's tape over the horn. The store I work at
also sells Yamaha PA and we have had the DXR10 and 12 in stock. In comparison to the QSC, the Yamaha speakers are smoother in the high end and are
$100 cheaper than the QSC.

That's the one I'm looking at actually--the DXR10. I am tweaking my patches using my KRK Rockit8 monitors and the QSC K10 seems to have an over exaggerated high end as you point out. I'm hoping the Yamahas are a little warmer and match better.

I was impressed with 10SMA when I heard one. Great sounding 10in monitors.

Unfortunately they are also about 2 1/2 times the price as the Yamahas. This switchover to a fractal rig has been painful enough on the 'ole wallet...besides the unit itself: a new MIDI floorboard, new expression pedal, cables, rack, custom front panel, speaker stand...eeek...

And in the "80/20" corner ...( 80% of the sound for 20% of the $) Kustom 10 powered PA - IMO sounds amazingly good for the price w some EQ. Got two 12"s too, think the 10 sounds a bit sweeter, just not as loud. YMMV

I have a pair of full-range cabs with a 10" woofer. They produce very clean low frequencies. I think 10" speakers in FRFR is probably the sweet spot.

Unfortunately they are also about 2 1/2 times the price as the Yamahas. This switchover to a fractal rig has been painful enough on the 'ole wallet...besides the unit itself: a new MIDI floorboard, new expression pedal, cables, rack, custom front panel, speaker stand...eeek...

:lol This is always a hurtle to over come, look at it this way... add up all the money you saved when you bought the Axe and you will not feel bad at all when it comes time to fork out the dough for the higher end gear needed to complete it.

Some will argue that you don't need to spend a lot of cash including myself but if you want things as slick and accurate as possible you don't have much choice but to buy the top of the pile.

Hate to recommend the expensive one, but yeah, the RCF NX-10SMA is pretty nice. Mike Pyle's prices (which we're not supposed to share publicly) are killer (Audiopyle Sound Linecard).

I'll say this, though. You'll be happily surprised when you get the quote. :)

I use the Yamaha DXR-10 and it works great for me. I run the output volume at about 10 o’clock on the DXR-10 and about 12 o’clock on the Axe Fx 2 and that’s plenty loud to keep up in a 4 piece rock band (we’re 2 guitars, bass and drums). I haven’t A/B’d against any other FRFR system but find it pleasing to me.

If anything I’d actually be interested in trying Yamaha DXR-8’s to shed weight even further :) but according to the spec’s there’s only 1 kg difference between the DXR-8 and DXR-10 so that’s why I ended up with the 10. I also bought 2 but I only use 1 when I play with the band.

Another DXR-010 user here. Really diggin these so far..the past couple times i gigged with them as been with two ! plenty of power with two..i just really dig the stereo sound. But ya a single would do just fine.

Just bought the DSR112. Yamaha's digital processing is superior to anything else on the market in my humble POV. And built like a tank.
I have a matrix 1000 that I used with two passive 12" coax's, but the DSR - especially with the new firmware - have soo many more nuances and "growl".
But ... it will take a long time to get the doe for a second one.

Back
Top Bottom