Who else is in debt from their Axe FX II purchase?!?!

shawnt3

First of all would like to thank Fractal Audio for making such a godly unit.

So, one day about 3 weeks ago my ID as Freud would call it completely took over me. I woke up around 10:00 AM on a Saturday and immediately decided to call my bank, up my credit limit, and put my Axe FX II on my credit card without thinking. Has it payed off? Hell yeah! This thing is incredible. I run it through my Peavey 6505+ to my Mesa Rectifier 4x12 for live situations. I am in a deathcore band, and the low ends I can get on this thing are INCREDIBLE. Not to mention the creepy-eerie delay tones I can get for lead sections.

But I want to know,

Has anyone made a similar decision like mine and impulsively purchased the Axe?

Looking for people to sympathize with :encouragement:

Ye, kinda :) I bought the Axe with my credit card as well. But I knew it wouldn't be a big deal, since I had tons of other stuff I could sell afterwards; the Axe would replace alot of it anyway.

And now, with all the stuff I've sold over the last few months, I've actually earned money by getting the Axe :D

Ye, kinda :) I bought the Axe with my credit card as well. But I knew it wouldn't be a big deal, since I had tons of other stuff I could sell afterwards; the Axe would replace alot of it anyway.

And now, with all the stuff I've sold over the last few months, I've actually earned money by getting the Axe :D

Thats awesome, that definitely makes it worth then!

And I work full time so I have more than half paid off already :)

Plus I sold my whole pedal rig (about 600 bucks, put 200 towards a MIDI foot pedal) so I made 400 off that, and looking to make 250 more off my Line 6 Spider head :D

In the next month I will have my Axe cleared off my card and couldn't be happier!

I was fine credit card-wise with the Axe.
Then I bought the MFC.
Then I bought a Suhr Modern.
Doh!
Still, within a month or 2 I should be back to my usual few hundred dollars of CC debt once I sell off some guitars.
-
Austin

Ya, I don't have any regrets about it at all. I will admit I felt a little guilty the day after I decided to do it, but that faded away quickly, especially once the Axe arrived :)

Like a fellow forumite writes in his signature: "The quality remains long after the price is forgotten" :D

^^I almost went with the MFC as well. And then I really thought about it, and I won't be needing such a detailed pedal. I am really only switching between a couple of heavy tones, a nice clean channel and some delay/reverb effects for leads.

My rule is that my music toys have to come from gig money (or teaching money, but there's less of that these days.) I've got a separate bank account for music. Also keeps the small business deductions easy to find come tax time. :)

I did, however, buy the axe-II on credit, but counted on the next month's music checks coming in to pay off the bill. Perhaps not wise, but damn that USB feature really hooked me!

I get an allowance every paycheck. I will not buy something unless I have the Cash to buy it period. I payed with the Credit card, then I physically went to the bank to put the cash down on the Credit card. Patience is a virtue and it does suck, but I wouldn't advise anyone to do it any other way. Credit is for suckers, but knowing that sometimes you have to pay that way on the Internet, That my friends is life.

Last edited:
I was ok with the Axe. Sold some stuff to pay for it.

However, the Axe ended up increasing my GAS for guitars and pickups so much that I've spent quite a bit since buying the Axe, some of which ended up on the credit card. Luckily, I'm basically GAS-free at the present time. Anyone wanna place bets on how long that will last?

Fortunately, I had some money from my Ultra to buy my unit, but I had to get almost 7 months with nothing but a Spider IV for company.

Makes me shudder just thinking about it.

These days, I save until I can afford it, or sell something..... Reluctantly.

The first AxeII didn't put me in debt as I jettisoned the Ultra and a few other things. It's the second AxeII that put me in debt :|
After a year with the first one, I realized that there was no way I would continue to gig without a backup since I rely on it so heavily - so I took the plunge on a second one. Oh well, it is what it is - fortunately, I don't rely on music to make a living and pay for this stuff cuz I'd be playing through a Pignose...

Used the card ... it was a present to myself for landing a new job, so I was pretty sure the funds where coming.

Absolutely not. I dug my way out of literally $10k+ credit card debt once (married into it) and I'll be damned if I go into that again. I have so much extra cash now, not because I make more, but because I don't spend crazy amounts of money on interest.

Think about it this way: Is investing in a portfolio that returns 8% on average a good thing? Of course it is. It's a constant money stream and over time will make you a lot of money. The exact opposite is true when you are on the other side of it. A credit card, even with a 12% interest rate, is a HUGE drain on your income. Now go another step further. What if you were investing in that 8% return while you had a balance on that 12% interest card? That's a net loss of 4%. Credit card debt completely obliterates most investments.

Back
Top Bottom