Who edits during shows?

I’m genuinely curious since this seems to be a major point in the world of modelers. I hear the same common complaint, “I can’t make changes during a show with this unit” but how often do musicians actually bend down during a solo to change an entire amp model with knobs or reverb type? I can understand maybe changing a drive level ever so slightly but even then, don’t people do soundcheck anymore? I know I still do.
Pretty much only during rehearsal for me.

I edit during shows....
If a guitar swapped out at the last second with a different pickup system.
If the singer needs to lower the key of a song.
Tweak amp gain.
Tweak fx mix.
Change AxeFx Input (due to failure)....AES RF/ Wireless Analog or Cable.
Find a song/preset quickly.

Never. Not once outside of what’s available on the front knobs. If something needs an edit, that’s done at home. I don’t need my sounds to be 100% to get thru the gig, just close enough. I’ll get them better later.

Minor unsolicited sidetrack. Plug your ears if you don't like what I am about to say :grimacing:

The only real area that always concerns me as far as "what if something goes wrong and I need to make a change?!?!?!?!" is footswitching. I have futzed with switching configuration on and off during my entire time of owning the FM (multiple rounds) and I just don't like the overcomlpexity. I know the capabilities require keeping it complex; but it's just not intuitive at all. I don't need some capacitive touch switch crap but I would like the method of assignment to be a little less convoluted. I know 10 people are going to reply back with "But you just need to...." and that's ok :D
Yeah fixing anything footswitch related is pretty complicated without Axe-Edit because there's no visual aids to help you figure things out like Axe-Edit does.

Minor unsolicited sidetrack. Plug your ears if you don't like what I am about to say :grimacing:

The only real area that always concerns me as far as "what if something goes wrong and I need to make a change?!?!?!?!" is footswitching. I have futzed with switching configuration on and off during my entire time of owning the FM (multiple rounds) and I just don't like the overcomlpexity. I know the capabilities require keeping it complex; but it's just not intuitive at all. I don't need some capacitive touch switch crap but I would like the method of assignment to be a little less convoluted. I know 10 people are going to reply back with "But you just need to...." and that's ok :D

Footswitching? But you just need to...
1643097598243.png
stretch your feet :D

I don't want to ruin my presets in the rehearse by making the wrong edits and store them pernanently, but I want to be able to tweak my sound. That's just what every amp with 2 channels or more allows you to do, direct access to the sound.

I solved the problem via filter blocks assigned to modifiers and they got placed before and after the amp block.
I can control lows before and after the amp block and control mids and highs after the amp block. That's enough control to change to a different kind of guitar while staying in the same presets or to have a sligtly different sound if I want to.
I could program separate presets for different guitars, right, but then I had to maintain more of them and with the ongoing FW updates, I don't want to.

But the better the modeling gets and the better my presets get the less I need to touch my filter blocks. It seems the better the modeling gets, the less you need crazy eq settings to fix something sounding wrong. We are already there it seems.

Yeah I do often. Usually just basic amp settings, I have them on performance controls but for some reason I prefer going to the grid. It’s like any skill I guess, seems hard at first but practice makes it easy. For some reason I always have heaps more gain live than I thought I dialled in, so I’m often slightly tweaking the amp between songs in the first set.

Once I updated the FW before a gig (I know, I know) and did a system reset, not realising that I’d wiped my FC settings. We had a short setup and I had about 10 minutes to reprogram my FC settings on the front panel. I had never done that before, but found it in the settings somewhere and got a simpler version done, and then finished it between sets. Since that trial by fire I’ve been quite confident that front panel editing isn’t really that hard.

Another time I rocked up and forgotten the extra in/outs we use for iem out and mixer in. Adding blocks and shunts was more challenging having never done it, but I did that in about a minute.

The only thing I touch at a show is output level. If I get a sound check, and the soundguy requests an eq change I'd do that in my global out, though since switching to fractal about 7 years ago all I get are compliments on how good my guitar sounds and how easy it was for them to mix, so I've never done it.
I'll tap in delay times during the set cause we are always a good 15-20bpm faster in front of a crowd (drummers am I right?) and what I have worked out for rehearsal goes out the window.
I'll tweak and edit and construct like crazy at practice, but come show time if it's not on my guitar I try not to touch it. Nothing I despise more than an unprepared musical act tweaking effects or God forbid getting their incredibly noisy antique tube amp to function at at least 60% capacity. Freaking amateur hour.

When I learned about the performance tabs - that really gave me everything I needed at a gig to tweak sound wise. In my experience with the III and the AX8 (and I'm knocking on wood here) the only issues I've had that were unexpected were with a expression pedal (my fault), a bad cable, and a less than desirable sound out front (conversation with the sound tech fixed that). If I had to do something in the menus quickly that was not normal, I'd probably be screwed if it were a time sensitive thing -but with some time could get through it. I really should take the time to learn to navigate better on the unit itself.

Back
Top Bottom