While building my Fortin Natas patch, I discovered something...

biggness

Power User
I have been interested in trying out a Fortin Natas after hearing some cool clips of it online. So until that day comes, I decided to try and replicate what I have heard of it to hold me over. While tweaking for this tone, I kept hearing qualities that I knew certain amp had, but did not have enough gusto to get the job done. That is until I fed a Tubescreamer into a FET boost. I suppose, I could be totally wrong, but the FET boost acts as a quasi-preamp like this. I am able to add more gain, and shape the tone with the FET's tone controls, without changing the initial character of the amp I am using. Then I add the Tubescreamer upfront to bring it over the edge. What I ended up with is a very convincing Natas tone, considering I have never played one, and went strictly off of Youtube vids. haha It sounds lovely for both razor sharp palm muting and string ringing clarity. I will include the patch, so you can get a roundabout idea of what I did.

As always, any and all comments are welcomed. :)

Attachments

• Natas is Dog.syx
    2 KB · Views: 132
Was looking at buying on of these, or a DAR forza but bought the axe fx instead.
I'll try this out after work, thanks for sharing

I've played the Natas. It is super tight, very dry and has an almost sterile nature to the tone. Wasn't really my thing, not sure I'd want to replicate it. lol.

I've played the Natas. It is super tight, very dry and has an almost sterile nature to the tone. Wasn't really my thing, not sure I'd want to replicate it. lol.

Haha. Well that sucks. Sounds a bit like the VHT Ultra Lead. I wanted to love that amp, but as soon as I bought one and UPS delivered it, I found out rather quickly that it was very dry amp. Don't get me wrong, it sounds good, but it is no fun to play. lol

My patch here is more an idealized version of the Natas, with some saturation going on. :)

Haha. Well that sucks. Sounds a bit like the VHT Ultra Lead. I wanted to love that amp, but as soon as I bought one and UPS delivered it, I found out rather quickly that it was very dry amp. Don't get me wrong, it sounds good, but it is no fun to play. lol

My patch here is more an idealized version of the Natas, with some saturation going on. :)

It's much more tight/dry than the UL. I love the UL actually. It has a nice character to the tone and I personally don't find it overly dry. The Natas just seemed to lack a nice character to the tone. Not really into to it. As I said before, kind of sterile. The Hulk modded marshall from which it was based sounded better to me. Sucks, cause I was ready to drop the cash on one. Ended up buy the Axe again and I'm much happier. I'll have to try your patch once I set up the midi interface.

I have been interested in trying out a Fortin Natas after hearing some cool clips of it online. So until that day comes, I decided to try and replicate what I have heard of it to hold me over. While tweaking for this tone, I kept hearing qualities that I knew certain amp had, but did not have enough gusto to get the job done. That is until I fed a Tubescreamer into a FET boost. I suppose, I could be totally wrong, but the FET boost acts as a quasi-preamp like this. I am able to add more gain, and shape the tone with the FET's tone controls, without changing the initial character of the amp I am using. Then I add the Tubescreamer upfront to bring it over the edge. What I ended up with is a very convincing Natas tone, considering I have never played one, and went strictly off of Youtube vids. haha It sounds lovely for both razor sharp palm muting and string ringing clarity. I will include the patch, so you can get a roundabout idea of what I did.

As always, any and all comments are welcomed. :)

Here is a Natas clip to help you out. Just received the final version the other day.

netmusicians.org - the guitar gear mp3 database

I've played the Natas too, and it's a dream of an amp. Much like the AxeFX, but real tubes and faster to edit. ;)

Well well, speak of the devil and look who shows up. lol

Where and how have you been man?

Also, does my patch come anywhere close to that amp? haha

Well, I haven't tried your patch (yet), but I know that with some modding of the stock amps, it's possible to get really close, except that with a single turn on a Natas-knob, the sound completely changes which would take anothe 30 minutes to achieve. ;)

I've been working with everything except the AxeFX for a while now, and I got really tired of the attitude that sometimes rears its ugly face here. ;)

Well, I haven't tried your patch (yet), but I know that with some modding of the stock amps, it's possible to get really close, except that with a single turn on a Natas-knob, the sound completely changes which would take anothe 30 minutes to achieve. ;)

I've been working with everything except the AxeFX for a while now, and I got really tired of the attitude that sometimes rears its ugly face here. ;)

That is the thing, I dialed in 80s trash that would cut through anything on that clip. I could go uber modern with monsterous lows and still be steel drum tight with just several turns due to the girth and grind. Mike's pots are very linear and very small changes brings a huge difference to the sm57 against the cloth.

Back
Top Bottom