Which REAL amps do you own?

Have had a few through the years.

My favorite is my current one. Probably the least hyped and unknown amp in the current Mesa Lineup

Mesa Electra Dyne

DSCN2773.jpg

Recently I had actually considered selling it (and had even listed it) to fund the Axe II. As much as I love it, when I got the Ultra, over time the Electra Dyne got less and less playing time. Not becuase I felt it could not compete tone wise, it absolutely can. It is just ungodly loud and that volume is very difficult to tame. Personally I think it is louder then the RoadKing combo I had but I never had them side by side so it is not fair to say.

It would get louder then the Mark IV I had. Those I did have side by side.

I had run some attenuator setups Where I would use an attenuator as a load box and run the signal out to the axe fx then run that through cabinet sims. Sounded great, but for all that I could get pretty close just using the Brown amp sim so it started to become not with the hassle.

As I wait to get my hands on an Axe 2, I am running the Electra Dyne line out into a POD 2 and using just the cab sims on it and it sounds pretty damn good.

Dr. Z - Trainwreck - Air Brake <- MY CONTRIBUTION TO WORLD PEACE - CLEAN SOUND LEVEL REDUCTION TOOL
Suhr Badger 18 watt head w/ Suhr 1x12 cab - Eminence "Red Fang" - THE SUHR BADGER IS A LIFETIME KEEPER - PERFECT FOR DAILY USE - HIGHLY RECOMMEND
1996 - Matchless Chieftain 2x12 Combo (Samson made) - HIS MAJESTY
1978 - Roland Jazz Chorus - JC77 - 2x10 - EBAY STEAL - COOL CLEAN AMP GREAT W STRAT - SWIRL CITY
Marshall Class 5 <- doesn't make the cut - selling
Hand built - Emerysound Dual Superbaby (Power stages only) based, 2x6 watt Class "A" Stereo Tube power amp (full tube saturation at studio volumes-fully tube swappable)
*** 1969 Cordovox CL-30 "Leslie" cabinet <- OH MAN - THIS CANNOT BE MODELED PERIOD - USES THE ENTIRE ROOM AS REFLECTIVE SPATIAL SURFACES - LITERALLY CAN PROVIDE THE "HAIRS STANDING ON YOUR ARMS SENSATIONS". - SOUNDS GREAT WITH THE SUHR BADGER HEAD
AND for BASS - SWR Workingman 15

Last edited:
Have had a few through the years.

My favorite is my current one. Probably the least hyped and unknown amp in the current Mesa Lineup

Mesa Electra Dyne

DSCN2773.jpg

Recently I had actually considered selling it (and had even listed it) to fund the Axe II. As much as I love it, when I got the Ultra, over time the Electra Dyne got less and less playing time. Not becuase I felt it could not compete tone wise, it absolutely can. It is just ungodly loud and that volume is very difficult to tame. Personally I think it is louder then the RoadKing combo I had but I never had them side by side so it is not fair to say.

It would get louder then the Mark IV I had. Those I did have side by side.

I had run some attenuator setups Where I would use an attenuator as a load box and run the signal out to the axe fx then run that through cabinet sims. Sounded great, but for all that I could get pretty close just using the Brown amp sim so it started to become not with the hassle.

As I wait to get my hands on an Axe 2, I am running the Electra Dyne line out into a POD 2 and using just the cab sims on it and it sounds pretty damn good.
totally looks like Andy Timmons setup... I mean that in a good way:)

Hughes and Kettner Triamp Mk II Alex Lifeson Signature and matching cab
Hughes and Kettner zenTera combo
Tone King Meteor Series II 740A
'63 Fender Vibroverb Reissue
CSC_01720001.jpg

PurpleMonster0001.jpg

DSC_0137.jpg

I never had the opportunity to play/hear a H&K live.... how would you classify the sound compared to a marshall or boogie? I wish the axe had a h&k patch to experiment with.

I've just got my Mesa 5:25 1x10" combo and extension cabinet. Just recently sold my Carvin 1984ish X-100B Head

I never had the opportunity to play/hear a H&K live.... how would you classify the sound compared to a marshall or boogie? I wish the axe had a h&k patch to experiment with.
The Triamp MKII ALSE is a 6 channel amp, so it covers a lot of tone. It's allegedly three preamps in one amp that share a common 4xEL34 power section; but in the wiring diagrams, it's more one entity with different preamp tube sections and tonestacks being switched in an out of the signal path.

I couldn't remember what it exactly sounded like since I haven't played it much since 2009, so I had to spend about an hour with it tonight.

What I can say is the distortion channels in general are somewhere between a Marshall and a Boogie. Channels 2A and 2B are a tighter and more refined versions of the JCM900. Channel 2A is more vintage. It's the tone at the beginning of "Far Cry" by Rush.(YouTube - ‪Rush "Far Cry" FULL VIDEO (PREMIERE)‬&rlm;) Channel 2B is the modded Marshall version of 2A which is bigger with more bass response. Channel 3B is a lot like a Mesa/Boogie IIC, but with more growl and less hair. You can hear that one in "Earthshine." (YouTube - ‪Earthshine - Rush‬&rlm;) The remaining channels are two fairly amazing Fender clean channels on 1A and 1B which can sound like a combo due to a special tight circuit that tightens up the bass response. One is like a cross between a Blackface and a Bassman and other sort of a cross between a Vox AC30 and a Deluxe. Then, there's 3A which is sort of hi gain SLO 100 sound.

I currently own
Bogner XTC Classic
76 Marshall JMP Super Lead modded to 69 specs
65 Amps London Clone I built
Matchless Spitfire Clone I also built

The XTC Classic is the perfect real amp for me it covers a lot of ground and I just love the tone. My clones were fun to build I built the 65 cause I have a friend that has one and I really liked the tone. But, didn't want to spend the money on an amp that I wouldn't use very often. It was the first amp I built so I looked at it as a challenge and oh yeah it was. I borrowed my buddies amp for the weekend and copied the circuit.

I own a '66 Super Reverb that sounds killer with the volume on about 8.5. Unfortunately it's also hella loud at that point, even with a hotplate knocking it down 8 dB.

TransAtlantic 15
EVH 5150 III
Peavey 5150
Hiwatt DR-504
Marshall 1987x
JMP MK II - Voodoo modded
Ceriatone Trainwreck
Ceruiaton ODS
Fargen Miniplex
Zinky Superfly
Fender Silver Face Twin Reverb
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Mackie Hotwire
Mesa Studio Caliber
Mesa 5/25
Vetta
Ada Viper
GK 250 ML
GK 250 RL
GK MPL1000
GK 2000CPL
GK Backline 300
GK Backline 1 x 12
JMP-1
ADA MP1
ART SGX2000
Egnater Mod 100 with every dual channel module
Two RM4s
RANDALL RM-100 with all stock mods and several Salvation Mods (s150) twin/deluxe, Lonestar, Salvado Deluxe, Plexi Mod, Recto Mod, Brown Mod, Sl+ mod, M22
Carr Slant 6V
Rockman XP100
Pod2.0, Pod X3, Pod XT,
Peavey Classic Chorus 2 X 12
Reverend Hellhound
H&K Zenterra combo
POD HD100
VOX TONELAB PEDALBOARD
Fender Mustang III
TECH 21 Trademark 10 and Trademark 300
Roland JC55
Vox Brian May Deecey
Gtr3, Amplitube 3.5, Pod Farm, Guitar Rig, Revalver, TH1, Amp Room, Vantage plugins.

Last edited:
I sold almost all of my amps when I bought the Axe FX and bought a bunch of nice Tom Anderson guitars.
Still have a really nice 65 Amps Soho head/cab but it doesn't get used much.

Actually thinking about selling it and getting a second Axe FX.

I have a Splawn Nitro with KT88s, a Diezel Herbert Mk2 and a Cameron CCV on order. Axe II is in the mail. Really just got it for effects, but looking forward to hearing if there's any improvement over the Ultra's amp models.

3 Heads that I built myself.
One based on a TopHat Club Deluxe with 6V6's and 15/30 watt switch.
One based on a Matchless DC30 with an EF86 on channel one and 12Ax7 for channel two, EL84's and 15/30 watt switchable.
One based on a slightly modified 5E3 tweed with 6L6's

Also built a 1x12 5E3 combo that my keyboardist built the cab for. He's an awesome furniture maker.

AXE Standard in the rack and an AXEII on the little brown box bus making it's way to California.

Back
Top Bottom