Which Rack mount Mixer?

Just pay attention to the fact that their “lite” versions don’t have gigabit ports. For the usage scenario we’re talking about here that’s fine, but for home with multiple computers, TVs and what not, if you have an internet connection faster than 100 Mbps you might want to consider a non-lite version.

hmm... looks great. i could never find something like that via search. might have to get one.

I never came across this brand either while doing my home router searches. Looks cool, but then again I don't know much about routers... @vangrieg, are you an IT type? :p

we are using the Soundcraft ui24. It's got a great multi-track recording feature to USB drive, so we can finally get some good live recordings.
Using a laptop and an ipad to control it (redundancy)
so far, so good.

I never came across this brand either while doing my home router searches. Looks cool, but then again I don't know much about routers..

It’s a company from Latvia, of all places. I never came across these either until somebody advised me to look for them specifically.

Am I an IT type? By association maybe. :D More than the average guy, but not quite, I would say. :)

It’s a company from Latvia, of all places. I never came across these either until somebody advised me to look for them specifically.

Am I an IT type? By association maybe. :D More than the average guy, but not quite, I would say. :)
I'm an IT guy, and have never come across these routers....so thanks for pointing them out.
This is why forum discussions are valuable....

IT guys who program DSPs and those who deploy reliable wireless networks on tight budgets are only nominally in the same field. :) It’s a very wide area of knowledge, it’s hardly possible to know everything everywhere.

Anyway, I’ll be happy if this recommendation helps. It did help me for sure.

Another X32 Rack user here.

Using an Asus RT-N66U router on 5 gHz (2.4 turned off) with a Nexus 10 running Mixing Station.

I rarely use the front panel on the X32. I use my tablet as the primary interface.

Ok, router will be here in 2 days....will set up and gig with it this weekend.
Will report back!

Ok, report out #1....

Got the router today, and it's smaller than I expected (Bonus!).
Plugged it in, and looked at the quick instructions on how to log into the router.
Logged in, went to the Quick Set page and set passwords. Also renamed the network (to something with the word 'virus' in it, to scare people away if they happen to pick up my router when looking for free WiFi).
Clicked around until I found the WLAN 1 and 2 settings. WLAN 1 was 2.4ghz, so I unchecked 'enable'. Left the 5G up and running.
Connected to my X-Rack, connected my iPad to the network, updated the IP settings on both XRack and X32-Mix app to coincide with the router IP....could not connect to X-Rack. Come on!

Tried my Droid phone as well....didn't see the XRack on the network.
Tried different IP settings, reconnected my laptop and logged into the router to check everything, nothing was working. Just for kicks, I reach around on my Xrack and find that I must have pulled the Ethernet cable out just a hair, and it wasn't making contact any more. Pushed it back in (the tab must have broken off, so it isn't clicking into place), and before I could even blink, my iPad connected. Droid as well.
You ever have that moment of anger (for not checking the simplest connection) and relief that you found the problem, at the same time?

So overall report is - easy enough and quick to set up (passwords and disable 2.4ghz)
X-Rack operating perfectly (as long as you plug it in)
Going to run it all night tomorrow night to ensure stability....then gigging out Saturday night with it.

Also renamed the network (to something with the word 'virus' in it, to scare people away if they happen to pick up my router when looking for free WiFi).

Not effective at all, in my experience.

Much better to disable SSID broadcast completely. Also consider using a MAC address whitelist that allows preauthorized devices only.

Now you've got real security.

Not effective at all, in my experience.

Much better to disable SSID broadcast completely. Also consider using a MAC address whitelist that allows preauthorized devices only.

Now you've got real security.

This is outdated wisdom. Even without SSID broadcast the network is still visible and MAC address can be forged very easily.

Yeah, and someone could bum-rush the stage and start mashing the buttons on your gear to change your settings that way.

Not to turn this into a technical pissing contest or be argumentative with you, but I'd wager that not too many people carry these kinds of hacking tools to a bar to watch a rock show. All technology is hackable, all you can do is take as many reasonable precautions as possible.

By your logic, the best option is to simply switch off the router and don't rely on wireless. I'll be interested to go back and re-read your contributions to the recent wireless/bluetooth wishlist posts from a few days ago.

Yeah, and someone could bum-rush the stage and start mashing the buttons on your gear to change your settings that way.

Not to turn this into a technical pissing contest or be argumentative with you, but I'd wager that not too many people carry these kinds of hacking tools to a bar to watch a rock show. All technology is hackable, all you can do is take as many reasonable precautions as possible.

By your logic, the best option is to simply switch off the router and don't rely on wireless. I'll be interested to go back and re-read your contributions to the recent wireless/bluetooth wishlist posts from a few days ago.

I'm not saying wireless is bad and should be turned off. The only protection is using an up-to-date encryption method and a strong passphrase.

Not to turn this into a technical pissing contest or be argumentative with you, but I'd wager that not too many people carry these kinds of hacking tools to a bar to watch a rock show.

I agree with this....and that's why I don't feel the need to disable SSID, etc.

If someone had the motivation to show up to a bar, see my network, successfully hack into my router (as they could never guess my password), have the X32 Mix app on their phone or tablet, and sabotage my mix....they are just as likely to jump on stage and kick my XRack to break it. (and they'd save themselves a lot of time and effort)

In fact, I can say with 100% certainty, that my X-Rack will get smashed with a beer bottle by an ignorant patron before someone shows up trying to hack into my X-Rack to make "Jessie's Girl" sound worse than it already does.

Naming my network with the word 'virus' in it, just makes me feel mildly clever.

Ok, gig report #1. Router worked great.
To try and poke the bear a little, I put the router right next to my Shure GLXD wireless receiver all night. Zero issues with both units.
Guitar wireless was clear as a bell.

This was a relatively small room, so I can't say if it works 'better' than the Airport Extreme, but I can say that it performed exactly like I'd hoped.
Next week I'm playing a much larger room so I can roam a bit more, and there will be more cell phones in the room eating up wireless traffic.
Obviously with the 2.4g turned off on the MikroTik router, I'm expecting to have no issues...so let's see.
This room is where one of my buddies was using the X-Air and only the internal router, and after sound check he could not connect again due to the wireless traffic in the room (which is his own damn fault).
Anyway, it's a great room for me to confirm to solid connectivity of the MikroTik, so I'll report out again.

So far, thumbs up!
Did I mention this thing is tiny and weighs close to nothing?

Back
Top Bottom