Which Rack mount Mixer?

Sixstring

Legend!
I have been looking at Digital rack mount mixers and trying to syfer which is the best to run with.

I know a lot of guys here like the Behringer X rack and X Air. I was wondering how they stack up to other in the sub 1k price range.

Thoughts?

Do you plan to use it as a monitor mixer?

As an alternative, I use a MOTU Ultralite AVB card. You can see how it looks here

It's mainly going to be used for live gigs with at least 4 monitor mix! I like the EQ, effects and more so the recording option the X Air has but was also looking at the SoundCraft and Midas and the like just trying to get the best bang for the buck but at the same time looking for reliability.

I've been using an XR18 since it was released, a few shows every month. I have an external router hooked up to it so I can access it on 5Ghz which I would say is a must. The apple app has disconnected from the mixer a lot but the android app has been rock solid. The mixer has been flawless for me, the routing, preamps, and effects are good enough for this lowly cover band pleb.

I've been using an XR18 since it was released, a few shows every month. I have an external router hooked up to it so I can access it on 5Ghz which I would say is a must. The apple app has disconnected from the mixer a lot but the android app has been rock solid. The mixer has been flawless for me, the routing, preamps, and effects are good enough for this lowly cover band pleb.

I have read the concerns about the 2.5 wireless, that's why I was also looking at the Sound Craft unit as it comes with both 2.5/5 gig.

XR18 vs X32 Rack - worth the added features and flexibility, not just the higher channel count - for only an extra $300. I’ve deployed several X Airs and I’ve used X32s in the various formats.

X32 Rack plus an X-WSG card for Waves processing... that’s a lot of power in a tiny package!

XR18 vs X32 Rack - worth the added features and flexibility, not just the higher channel count - for only an extra $300. I’ve deployed several X Airs and I’ve used X32s in the various formats.

X32 Rack plus an X-WSG card for Waves processing... that’s a lot of power in a tiny package!
+1 on the X32

Will also note, the new X-Live card for the X32 series is AWESOME.
Drop a SD card in, and track 5+ hours of 16 track audio.

I can say it was over a year ago, if not longer, that BBN recommended the X32 Rack to me and I have never had a single regret. It is a true workhorse in a small space. USB stick recording for quick capture of rehearsals, Midas pre-amps are clean, very nice FX selection, sound card is very functional.

Last edited:
Sounds like the X32 is stacking up! I just hope it's not too much there are a grip of functions it has almost to the point of daunting. I have been watching all the youtube vids I can find on the X32 and XR 18.

The XR18 is definitely limited but it would take care of the immediate needs. At the same time would not let me expand if that need came along.

More than likely it's what I will wind up with I just want to make sure I'm not buying features I will never use.

i have an xr12 that i keep in the car in case the mixer at any gig is dumb or broken.

i have an x32 rack that i used to gig with for in-ear monitors and general mixer use. it's now my main audio interface for testing, recording, etc.

i prefer the x32 app and workflow, but the xr series is just fine as well. the xr18 will be much smaller and you don't even need to rack it.

i'd suggest downloading the iPad apps and playing around to see what you might prefer. x32 is definitely more in-depth, but the xr series isn't THAT different.

i currently use a Yamaha TF-Rack for my main gig mixer. more expensive, bigger and heavier than the x32, also does less than the x32. but i like the preamp tone better for vocals, and it's exactly what i need for a gig situation. i also prefer the layout and apps better - bigger screen and text, easier to navigate etc. i do miss some things from the x32, but for what i actually need, everything is there.

i have an xr12 that i keep in the car in case the mixer at any gig is dumb or broken.

i have an x32 rack that i used to gig with for in-ear monitors and general mixer use. it's now my main audio interface for testing, recording, etc.

i prefer the x32 app and workflow, but the xr series is just fine as well. the xr18 will be much smaller and you don't even need to rack it.

i'd suggest downloading the iPad apps and playing around to see what you might prefer. x32 is definitely more in-depth, but the xr series isn't THAT different.

i currently use a Yamaha TF-Rack for my main gig mixer. more expensive, bigger and heavier than the x32, also does less than the x32. but i like the preamp tone better for vocals, and it's exactly what i need for a gig situation. i also prefer the layout and apps better - bigger screen and text, easier to navigate etc. i do miss some things from the x32, but for what i actually need, everything is there.

This is what I'm talking about! The difference between both are not that great unless you need to get deep and large and I'm not too sure I really need that.

This is what I'm talking about! The difference between both are not that great unless you need to get deep and large and I'm not too sure I really need that.
I've owned both and I like both.
X18 is an awesome mixer with tons of features for the price.
That being said, I sold the X18 and got a second (and third) X32.
These are the features that (after using for a while), I felt I needed to have (and the X18 doesn't have them).

1) True Xover filters. - X18 only has Eq on outputs, I use the X32 for its Xover capabilities, and it's excellent at it.
2) Matrix mixes - this is amazingly valuable to me when I need to tap into an in house PA with my Mixer.
3) DCA groups (similar to a subgroup on an analog mixer). You can get these with the droid version of the App, but not on the iOS version (fader groups are not as clean and easy to use).
4) I LOVE having he layers within the iOS app. It allows me to set one layer to have 4 DCA (sub) groups and 4 Monitor sends...which means I can make any of my major tweaks to the mix, from one screen (with only 8 faders).
5) Expansion card in the back (X-Live) which allows 8, 16 or 32 track recording to a SD Card. I track most gigs and leave with full multitrack files...in my wallet. Zero extra equipment/effort to track a gig that I can mix at home.
6) X-Live allows virtual sound check. Record the band playing. Everyone leave the stage, play back the SD card and tweak the eq on whatever (ok, this isn't really useful to me, but it's cool knowing it's there).
7) Saved he best for last - FRONT PANEL CONTROL. In a pinch, I can mix from the front panel. I carry a spare router, but you still never know. X-Air, you definitely need an external router, but even then, if you can't connect for some reason...you're f'd. I've seen it. Full room, my buddy had an X-18. Didn't listen to anyone who told him he needed an external router. The room filled up (300 people), and he could not connect a single device for the rest of the night. Hope you're happy with your soundcheck mix, because you're stuck with it!!!

Chris, I also use the X32 for my rehearsal/studio interface. Works awesome.
As I wanted slightly better preamps, I bought the Midas DL16 (same form factor as the Behringer S16, but with true Midas Preamps).
I bought a X32 Core and that Midas DL16 for $1100. True Midas rig in a 3 space rack case. I keep that one in the studio.

I'm still watching out for a X16 on Craigslist, to keep in my car for emergencies. They are excellent mixers.
But if any of those features above are must haves for you, then you may want to dig deeper into the X32.

It's too bad you didn't live on the east coast, I'm always happy to give a quick start tutorial to anyone getting started in the X32. Makes that learning curve really small.

2) Matrix mixes - this is amazingly valuable to me when I need to tap into an in house PA with my Mixer.
Can you share quickly how you do matrix mixes? I never figured out what to use them for.

The X32 preamps are just fine. But yeah I definitely was surprised when I heard a fuller sound with the Yamaha preamps. I’m assuming it’s a similar thing with the Midas box. Again, the X32 and x-air preamp are just fine too.

Another for the X32 here. There’s just nothing that even comes close as far as features in a rack format. It’s really a remarkable unit. I wish they’d make a Midas version.

Can you share quickly how you do matrix mixes? I never figured out what to use them for.

I'm using it to split the sub from the tops. The X32 matrix section supports a 6 channel EQ with dedicated x-over filters do this.

Still waiting for the X-Live to become available here in Europe. Not going to happen before June. :mad:

Reactions: mwd
Anyone know how the Presonus Studiolive stuff (rack, or not) compares with the X32/16/etc.? Integration with Studio One seemed attractive, was looking at those recently.

Anyone know how the Presonus Studiolive stuff (rack, or not) compares with the X32/16/etc.? Integration with Studio One seemed attractive, was looking at those recently.
The single rack unit 16 ch looked amazing but I don’t like the iPad app at all. And I too don’t want anything with zero control without wireless. That stuff DOES fail time and time again, so front panel control is a must for me. Even on the xr12, I use the headphone out so I have some sort of physical volume control in case things go wrong.

Ok, sounds like the X 32 is on deck! Thanks BBN for the rundown on relevant features and Silence.speaks, Philipacaminaic, mwd, Rane, Christthephone and Chris for pushing in the right direction!

The features you have pointed out are pretty important! especially control! As your getting lost in features or simplicity you tend to forget about the obvious staring you in the face.

Hearing about loss of control in the middle of a gig is truly disconcerting so front panel access is worth the extra $300 alone and the multi track to thumb drive is very cool! sub groups aren't a must have they are definitely a nice feature to have for the very reason you mentioned.

Thanks All again!

One set up using DCA and Matrix.

X32_Mix.png

The X32 preamps are just fine. But yeah I definitely was surprised when I heard a fuller sound with the Yamaha preamps. I’m assuming it’s a similar thing with the Midas box. Again, the X32 and x-air preamp are just fine too.

Select the 'Main' Output within the App.
Go to the 'Sends' page (for the Main Output).
When you get there, you can see that you can 'send' your Main Output, to the 6 Matrix Busses.
I set them all to Unity.

Now, go to the Matrix channel layer/screen. All of these Matrix 'channels' contain the full mix.
Why is this helpful....you now have 6 individual sends of your main mix.
Go into your Routing and send each of the 6 Matrix channels to an Output (of course, only if you need six. I usually only need 3).

Send one Matrix to Output 1 and plug it into your Tops (and set the Xover using the EQ page)
Send one Matrix to Output 2 and plug it into your Subs (and set Xover using the EQ page)
Send one Matrix to a side fill (Xover or Eq and possibly Delay it)
Send one Matrix to a house speaker system (Xover, Eq, etc.).

I play a club that has 2 sets of different tops (which are hung from the ceiling), and I bring subs.
I send Matrix 1 to my subs
I send Matrix 2 to their RCF tops
I send Matrix 3 to their JBL tops.

I walk out front and set the system.
Each Matrix channel has it's own Xover and EQ.
I solo the RCFs, set the eq and xover.
I solo the JBLs, set the eq and xover.
My subs are already set up with proper Xover.

Now I use the Matrix channel volume to balance all those speakers to appropriate levels....hit save.

The Matrix feature allows you to do exactly what a Driverack would do. Send one signal to 6 places, all with different Eq and Xover, etc.

Back
Top Bottom