which poweramp/speakers do you use with your AF2?

just look at my sig
Quite happy with things as are. would like to maybe upgrade the monitors at some point
and maybe grab another 2X12 cab with Greenbacks in it to "mix it up" a bit more,
but the latest FW and the Fryette have put a jumbo smile on my face.

Trying to get an idea of how much the lot will cost me, new - GT1000FX or lower wattage version, 2x G12's or 2x GTR12's (the angled cabs). Given the room is quite small, I was looking to find 50w-100w per side.

I'm using a GT1000FX too into a Marshall 4x12 with a G12T75/V30 mix. I used to have a VHT/Fryette 2/50/2, and it sounded good but was way too heavy. Plus it wasn't quite neutral enough and was adding some tone after the Axe output. The Matrix does an even better job at a fraction of the weight. Plus it doesn't care what volume you set it at, it just stays clean and clear all the way up. The Axe-Fx takes care of preamp and power amp the tone.

with the Matrix amp (i.e. GT1000Fx) you have the flexibility of running passive FRFR monitors or real cabs. Some of the favorite FRFR and cab solutions around here include the Matrix, Atomic and Xitone.

I would scout around in the Cabs and amps section -- It contains many threads discussing cab and FRFR options.

Amps and Cabs

Great timing... I just posted a thread with this very question. Is the Matrix capable of being part of either an FRFR solution or part of a traditional amp+cab setup? I am really curious about how it sounds and feels when run in to a real cab.

Great timing... I just posted a thread with this very question. Is the Matrix capable of being part of either an FRFR solution or part of a traditional amp+cab setup? I am really curious about how it sounds and feels when run in to a real cab.

It sounds incredible.

I use it with the NL12 1x12 cab from Matrix (I actually have two) -- and it is off the wall crazy good. I have done about 18 gigs or so since I got the Axe this year with a FRFR monitor and the GT1000FX (and it was great) -- but nothing (IMO) beats the sound and feel of a real cab with the Axe-FX.

It sounds incredible.

I use it with the NL12 1x12 cab from Matrix (I actually have two) -- and it is off the wall crazy good.

I am not familiar with the NL12 -- is that considered to be a "real cab" or FRFR? I think I am on the right track -- I can use the Matrix amp and get the "real cab" sound/feel that you describe. I was concerned that the Matrix was FRFR only.

I am not familiar with the NL12 -- is that considered to be a "real cab" or FRFR? I think I am on the right track -- I can use the Matrix amp and get the "real cab" sound/feel that you describe. I was concerned that the Matrix was FRFR only.

Unique cab -- it weighs only 17 pounds and it sounds like a 2x12. I considered it "Full Range" (vs FRFR) because it sounds good with cab sims on as well -- even though I personally use it with cab sims off.

Neolight NL12

Thanks, LVC. Very helpful. I played through a couple of tube amps and pedals rig for several hours this past weekend and it sounded great. I hated the foot pedal tap dancing, though. I really hope I can get that same feel/sound with my Axe+Matrix+V30 rig -- the FRFR is great for what and where I play, but I miss that real cab feel and sound. FYI... the cab is a Hughes and Kettner and sounds great in a light package. I will take a good look at the NL12's (I keep telling my wife that I have everything I need, so not sure how to justify this :)).

Second the CLR's. I've also got a pair of Equator D5's, a pair of Blue Voodoo heads, and Blue Voodoo and Peavy Butcher cabs. Really all I use are the CLR active wedges. For flexibility and quality they do the job nicely Wil...

I use a Matrix Gt800FX power amp, a Marshall GB loaded quad and a Matrix CFR FRFR wedge. I have about twice as much power/volume than I ever need in a band situation.

Back
Top Bottom