Which of your guitars sound best thru the Axe?

Gearhead said:
HailHalford said:
Since I got the AxeFX, I've bought more guitars in those 2 years than in the previous 10 because of the rewarding differences in sound. Amp GAS: cured; guitar GAS: much worse.

+1

very true.

my Framus Diablo Custom exhibits all the nuances it shows when being played unplugged, my '73 Yamaha SG 2000 with Retrotrons sounds freakin amazing, even my builds sound wonderful but the Italia with a P-90 Lace Alumitone really shines. I swear I can even even hear the differences of picks (Galli vs. Rio Pecos) clearly now.
must. resist. urge. to. buy. Charvel. So-Cal.

Wow, someone else who owns an Italia!

I've got a Modulo 3 that has a P-90 in the bridge -- how does the Lace compare, and is it actually quiet? I like the P-90 sound, but the hum/buzz can get overwhelming with any kind of gain...

Thanks,
TT

As long as everybody is showing the girls, here's mine:

#1 thru the Axe - solidbody Heatley Tradition with Short Undercover Minis
ShortUndercovers-a.jpg

#2 Anderson HDTC with Lollar Dirty Blonde set
Anderson2.jpg

#3 - most picky thru the Axe - chambered Heatley Tradition with Lollar P-90s
finishtop.jpg

Tommy Tequila said:
Wow, someone else who owns an Italia!

I've got a Modulo 3 that has a P-90 in the bridge -- how does the Lace compare, and is it actually quiet? I like the P-90 sound, but the hum/buzz can get overwhelming with any kind of gain...

Thanks,
TT

Maranello Speedster here.

here's a pic with stock pickup.
P1090712.jpg

the Alumitone is awesome. very clear without being sharp, a little more hi-fi than a standard P90, but in a good way.
completely quiet.

If you really like the sound of the stock pickup (I did, surprisingly - but I like the Alumitone even better) there is a noiseless version (stacked) of it. not sure if it'll fit without modification (depth of route).
http://www.jhs.co.uk/wilkinson.html

My ESP LTD MH250 sounds best through the AxeFX. I don't know why. It has an agathis body with a quilted maple top and a three-piece maple/rosewood neck. I guess agathis is supposed to be like mahogony which might explain the "heavier" tone I get, it even rings out differently when I strum the guitar unplugged.

Compared to that my Jackson SL2H sounds sort of thin and it cost four times as much! I think I have to get a more bass-heavy pickup for my Jackson.

I also have a Carvin X220 and it's sort of in-between the ESP and Jackson. I have a Seymour Duncan Distortion in the bridge and a Jazz pickup in the neck on all of my guitars.

The only guitar I play anymore. It plays better than anything I have ever owned or borrowed. My other axes feel incredibly bored, I'm sure, sitting in their cases...

Gibson Les Paul Custom, 1968 re-issue, custom shop 2007

68ri-1.jpg

Having slowly trimmed all my Branded' guitars since building my own, I have tended to go with straty-types with various p/ups, now using a guy in U.S Chris Hernandez who builds GR8 p/ups
to order (luv em) at silly prices. But I indulged myself and bought a Yamaha Sa 2200 and WOW
does the Axe' luv this one :D sounds a dream' .The other is my latest Tele' build with
Dream P90 neck and Kent Armstrong 15k rails bridge , sings like a bird on steroids :lol:

Back
Top Bottom