Which Mesa Cab Is This?

Fro

Experienced
I'm curious about the Mesa cab they show at around 2:39, the half open back, half closed cabinet.

The music store down the road from me is selling one, and I was tempted to pick it up and make some IRs with it for fun. But I know there are a ton of Mesa IRs out there already, and I own almost all of the cab packs from all of the various companies that offer them. Does anyone know if there is already an IR of the half open half closed Mesa cabinet, and which company/cab pack that would be in? Mesa cabs are alien to me, and I didn't know if this cab had a specific name.

Thanks!

I had a cab like that in the 80's. It had 200 watt evms in the bottom and celestions in the top, I think MC 90s. Closed back on the bottom. It was a pretty heavy cab as I recall. Scratch that, I will never forget how heavy that damn cab was. It sounded great, but I liked the ev sound more than the MC90 sound.

You might try finding ir's of each that you like and blending them, although it's missing the cab component. Search for celestion black shadow to get more info.

edit: After looking at that vid again those don't look like the ev bottoms to me, I can't tell. Maybe those are all the mesa blackshadow mc90s??

Last edited:
I had a cab like that in the 80's. It had 200 watt evms in the bottom and celestions in the top, I think MC 90s. Closed back on the bottom. It was a pretty heavy cab as I recall. Scratch that, I will never forget how heavy that damn cab was. It sounded great, but I liked the ev sound more than the MC90 sound.

You might try finding ir's of each that you like and blending them, although it's missing the cab component. Search for celestion black shadow to get more info.

edit: Although looking at that vid again those don't look like the ev bottoms to me, I can't tell. Maybe those are all the mesa blackshadow mc90s??

I have the one with the ev12ls in the bottom....definitely a different cab than in the vid.

It is the old 70s-80s Mesa style 4x12, the standard before the oversized Recto cabs came along. They came with EV12Ls (hellaciously heavy with 4 in there), a half and half version with Celestion-made Black Shadows and EVs. I have seen them loaded with several different Celestions (G1275s, V30s) but I don't think Mesa offered them stock that way. Carvin's original Legacy cabinet looked a lot like it and was loaded with Greenbacks, then later V30s.

It's a heavy but very roadworthy cabinet. In a road case, it's a two man load in.

That's a "Cliff's Boogie" cab. I have that same cab and the IRs are in Cab Pack 4. Mine is a stereo cab with Black Shadow Lead 80s IIRC.

Cliff, if you want to take my Mesa with the EV's and CL's and shoot some IR's, please let me know. I'm local, I can drop it off. And I never use it, so you can keep it for a while.

Clark, I'd offer it to you, but shipping would be ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom